Sudden onset of monitoring latency in Reaper

This should be self explanatory.
Armistice

Sudden onset of monitoring latency in Reaper

Post by Armistice »

So when I was recording the Kemper stuff for that thread, for the first time ever, I noticed real latency in the monitored sound.

The tracks were being recorded right on the button but what I was listening to while doing it had a distinct delay. I've changed nothing, apart from updating Reaper, so I'm wondering what's happened. It's enough to be noticeable and offputting when I'm playing.

How best to troubleshoot this one? I have a guitar into a Kemper into an RME interface into the DAW.

I did plug a guitar direct into the interface and it went away, which says "Kemper" to me, but I haven't actually changed anything there and I've not had the problem, so I'm wondering if the Reaper upgrade did something to some setting that was previously dialled in.

I've never previously had the latency woes that people struggle with when setting up their systems, so I don't really know where to look! :shock:
Greg_L

Re: Sudden onset of monitoring latency in Reaper

Post by Greg_L »

You know, my Reaper is acting a little latency-heavy too. Maybe it's something with the update.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Record sooner.

But seriously......Make sure the track you're recording onto isn't inside a folder. I find I have to have a track outside a folder to not get latency.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:42 pmMake sure the track you're recording onto isn't inside a folder. I find I have to have a track outside a folder to not get latency.
I use a folder track when recording my e-kit, & some plugins cause latency, while others don't for me...

Do you have any plugins on the master track??? Let us know dude... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nope. Straight in. No plugs. Top level track. First time I've ever had noticeable latency eva. :mad:

I might see if there's a later version yet. I don't connect that PC to the net apart from upgrades.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:18 pm Nope. Straight in. No plugs. Top level track. First time I've ever had noticeable latency eva. :mad:

I might see if there's a later version yet. I don't connect that PC to the net apart from upgrades.
I think you need to set your Record Monitoring to off so that you're listening to your direct sound when recording, not the one that's gone through the DAW processing. Anything else I think will give you lag.

If it isn't this, then I'm stuck. :biggrin:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:36 am
Armistice wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:18 pm Nope. Straight in. No plugs. Top level track. First time I've ever had noticeable latency eva. :mad:

I think you need to set your Record Monitoring to off so that you're listening to your direct sound when recording, not the one that's gone through the DAW processing. Anything else I think will give you lag.

If it isn't this, then I'm stuck. :biggrin:
Thanks Bubba. I'll have a play around tonight and see if I can isolate it. What's weird is I'm not doing anything I haven't done previously. :headwall:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

What latency is Reaper reporting up in the upper right hand corner of the screen?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 pm What latency is Reaper reporting up in the upper right hand corner of the screen?
It does that? :biggrin:

I never knew. I'll have a look tonight and let you know!

The things you learn... :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 pm What latency is Reaper reporting up in the upper right hand corner of the screen?
3.5/3.9ms as it turns out - I know what that means in time terms, but I don't know why the two numbers.

Anyway, you can all line up and give me a slap, one after another.

I had the fucking Total Mix SPDIF channel (8) slider down at infinity, and so I was listening to the round trip signal via Reaper rather than direct from the interface, so it didn't really matter what buttons I clicked in Reaper.

I was looking at the interface software, seeing signal, at Reaper, seeing signal, and didn't notice the monitoring slider (top row Tad - we have the same interface from memory, don't know if that's what you call it) was all the way down.

:facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

As you were gentlemen. :coolstorybro:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

:spacepalm:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bubba wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 am:spacepalm:
Nucular winter is coming, to mash George Dubbya and G.O.T. :crazy:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:01 am
3.5/3.9ms as it turns out - I know what that means in time terms, but I don't know why the two numbers.

Anyway, you can all line up and give me a slap, one after another.

I had the fucking Total Mix SPDIF channel (8) slider down at infinity, and so I was listening to the round trip signal via Reaper rather than direct from the interface, so it didn't really matter what buttons I clicked in Reaper.

I was looking at the interface software, seeing signal, at Reaper, seeing signal, and didn't notice the monitoring slider (top row Tad - we have the same interface from memory, don't know if that's what you call it) was all the way down.

:facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

As you were gentlemen. :coolstorybro:
I know how it goes! I love how flexible TotalMix is, but I find myself having to carefully think through things every time I want to do some routing with it. And most of the time, I forget something and end up routing things hell-knows-where!

Just this past weekend I had one of those moments, where I had a live microphone routed through an aux output that I rigged up to record windows output to an external recorder. I couldn't figure out why my guitar was so frigging loud while I was editing afterwards. I love that you can do just about anything with TotalMix, but jeez its easy to screw things up!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:28 pm
I know how it goes! I love how flexible TotalMix is, but I find myself having to carefully think through things every time I want to do some routing with it. And most of the time, I forget something and end up routing things hell-knows-where!

Just this past weekend I had one of those moments, where I had a live microphone routed through an aux output that I rigged up to record windows output to an external recorder. I couldn't figure out why my guitar was so frigging loud while I was editing afterwards. I love that you can do just about anything with TotalMix, but jeez its easy to screw things up!
Tell me about it. I try not to touch Total Mix more than necessary, in case it gets angry with me and stops me recording.

Clearly I've upset it. I may need to slaughter something as an offering ... :crazy: