VSTs that you've actually paid for that are worth the $

This should be self explanatory.
Armistice

VSTs that you've actually paid for that are worth the $

Post by Armistice »

I haven't actually ever paid anything for a VST plug in - my entire set up runs off freebies and ones with nag screens that I feel guilty about.

Surely you're not all as cheap as me?
ido1957

Re: VSTs that you've actually paid for that are worth the $

Post by ido1957 »

Lexicon Reverb and Effects - whopping 500 bucks - but then I have a PCM80, had a PCM42 and I love the Lexicon sound. Worth it to me YMMV.
Sonar CA2A and Concrete Limiter - pretty much what the title says - maybe 100 bucks apiece. Worth it to me YMMV.
That's it....
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lexicon reverbs are indeed awesome. I paid $99 for the MPX Native plugin (or, actually I paid $50 on a Black Friday deal, but had to spend another $50 on an iLok). I futzed around with freebie reverbs for way too long before I actually paid for one, and it's been totally worth it. Makes me wonder how many other great commercial reverbs there are out there...

The other VST that's been worth the money was Waves L1 (and L2). I got L1 as part of the Gold bundle on another Black Friday deal for $200 (regularly $800). Then last Black Friday I grabbed L2 for $50 or so. They're both idiot-proof "loudifiers" for the master bus, just one-knob kinds of limiters that don't brutalize your mixes when you just want to make them loud enough for general listening.

The Arturia V collection was yet another Black Friday deal (sensing a pattern here? :D ) that has more vintage analog synth emulations that I'll ever need. They're insanely accurate, at least for a non-synth guy like me. LOL, I even upgraded to the V2 version this last Black Friday :D

Those are the ones that I use so often that I wonder what I'd do without them. There are plenty more that were either free or I downloaded them as part of a limited time freebie deal.
witzendoz

Post by witzendoz »

I like some of the T-racks stuff I have bought, there are regular specials, my favourite is the 670 compressor.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

witzendoz wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:05 am I like some of the T-racks stuff I have bought, there are regular specials, my favourite is the 670 compressor.
Witz! Welcome aboard. Good to have some more Australians... place is being overrun by Canadians at the moment. :coolstorybro:
itsnotkcearl

Post by itsnotkcearl »

UAD...initially buying the cards are a bit expensive...but Ive never paid full price on their plugins...they constantly send out vouchers, you can do surveys and earn more, then use them during sales.

I own N I komplete ultimate and v arturia collection 4...kompletes fx are on par with UAD, and some of the modern emulations from Arturia are pretty good too

Anything else I use is stock DAW or hardware
Death, War, Discipline, weekends off.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I paid 30 bucks for EZ Drummer. I guess that's good. I use to "write" drum tracks in the demo phase, and then if I like it I sit at the kit and record it for real with real drums.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

You guys would be shocked as hell to know how much I've spent on plugins/software since I started in '09...Not going into detail, because it would take too long, but I have a shit-load of stuff...The majority of it is drum samples/programs like Superior Drummer, but I do have some other stuff too, like reverbs, compressors, etc...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Hmmm. I have paid for EZD1 and 2 when they were on sale. And some extra kits and midi packs and shit? So maybe theres 250 bucks? And i sprung for the latest version of amplitube because they had a sale on to get the full version plus all the orange add ons cause i'm an Orange nerd. that was about 130 bucks i think? I THINK?!!!

All the rest of the stuff i use is free for the most part.

I always seem to miss those really awesome WAVES sales cause i am working out of town or something. But i wouldn't mind getting some of that stuff to try sometime.
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:40 pm Hmmm. I have paid for EZD1 and 2 when they were on sale. And some extra kits and midi packs and shit? So maybe theres 250 bucks? And i sprung for the latest version of amplitube because they had a sale on to get the full version plus all the orange add ons cause i'm an Orange nerd. that was about 130 bucks i think? I THINK?!!!

I always seem to miss those really awesome WAVES sales cause i am working out of town or something. But i wouldn't mind getting some of that stuff to try sometime.
I got my feet wet in the fake drums realm with Acoustica Beatcraft...I got curious to when, & looking at my digital receipt I paid $40 for it 12-21-2009... I bought EZD1 not long after that, & at the time it was about $179...Every so often, I'd buy an add-on pack (I remember buying the Nashville EZX at that time), but eventually sprung for the upgrade to Superior...
After that, it just snowballed out of control... :minernuggs:

I bet if I sat down & actually tallied it all up, it'd shock even me...But, we only get one turn on this ride called life, so I think it's good to enjoy all we can, while we can...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The only VST I've paid for is EZ Drumer. I've used it for a while now but it seems like I'm coming up to its limitations more and more often so I might upgrade to SD
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Do the ones that come with Reaper and Movie Studio count?

If not, then just EZ Drummer plus a kit extension or two and Vocaloid.
HatfieldCreek

Post by HatfieldCreek »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:40 pm Hmmm. I have paid for EZD1 and 2 when they were on sale. And some extra kits and midi packs and shit? So maybe theres 250 bucks? And i sprung for the latest version of amplitube because they had a sale on to get the full version plus all the orange add ons cause i'm an Orange nerd. that was about 130 bucks i think? I THINK?!!!

Are you running a mac? I've still got a couple open slots on my volume license for complete 8.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

HatfieldCreek wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:21 am

Are you running a mac? I've still got a couple open slots on my volume license for complete 8.
Stellar. Sadly i am windows.
:happytrees: