Reaper standard VSTs

This should be self explanatory.
JD01

Reaper standard VSTs

Post by JD01 »

OK, there's millions of them that are just included with Reaper and it would take years to try them all out properly so the only way you tend to find them and use them is by recommendations from people. They also tend to look a bit shit and be difficult to use which is why its hard to find ones that you like.

If you shared what ones you used and what you like about them that would probably be really helpful.

1. ReaVerb - I find this is a great way of hosting impulses. Its actually one of the few that is simple to use.
2. ReaEQ - this is an amazing interface where you can add as many bands and shelves as you like and cut/boost as much as you like really easily
3. ReaComp - I actually think this is a bit shit, not 'cos its not fucntional, but just 'cos its so difficult and intuitive to use - I only use it for the NY Drum Bus preset. There's also a preset called "Spanky Bass" which I like.
4. ReaDelay - again, it looks a bit crap but it has a pre-set called Vocal Thickener which can sound good and is easy to tweak once you have the preset as a starting point.
5. JS: Event Horizon - This is a mastering limiter. It just seems to be really easy to use rather than the complex other ones available in the standard Reaper set. I think Armistice drew my attention to this one.
6. ReaTune - Reaper's AutoTune, this is effective and easy to use. When you're quite a shit singer (like me) its nice to do a couple of takes to get the timing right and get the tuning half decent, tune the fuck out of it so you sound like Cher, then sing along with the tuned version.

Are there any others you use with regularity that are easy to miss in amongst Reaper's massive pile of standard VSTs?
Greg_L

Re: Reaper standard VSTs

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:39 pm just 'cos its so difficult and intuitive to use
Lol. How can something be difficult and intuitive at the same time? :crazy: :biggrin:

I think you might need to get a better understanding what the settings and parameters do on effects/processing devices. For example, a compressor is a compressor. Sure, they can all look different, but the settings and functions are pretty much always the same. Threshold is threshold. Attack is attack. Release is release. Ratio is ratio. ReaComp is actually a pretty useful compressor....if you know how to use it. It's not a one-knob jobbie. You can tweak all sorts of shit on it.

I don't use it simply because I don't like the GUI of it, but I could if I wanted to because I understand how to set a compressor.

ReaEQ is the cat's balls. My favorite EQ plug. It's probably the only native Reaper plug I use all the time.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lol. I meant un intuitive
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I use ReaEQ all the time. ReaComp is my go-to compressor - I prefer sliders to knobs on stuff like this anyway, so I don't mind the interface. ReaTune mainly to check pitch on things - I don't find the pitch correction to be all that good, but as it's all I have, I'll use it if I have to - almost exclusively this is on multi-harmonies rather than anything more forward in the mix.

There's another thing in there... can't remember what it's called... bubba pointed it out as useful for getting a good crack on snares - some type of exciter I think - a JS series plug.

ReaVerb for impulses.

That's about it for the stock ones. I don't actually use the JS Event Horizon, I have the full version I got somewhere else.

I don't use a shitload of plugs generally. I've had trouble finding a decent guitar pedal type delay plug, so I got a proper stereo guitar delay pedal for Christmas and I'll be using that, I expect. Increasingly I'm "going to tape" with things like reverbs and delays on guitars, because they are a feature of the sound I'm creating, rather than something I want to tweak later.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:26 pm That's about it for the stock ones. I don't actually use the JS Event Horizon, I have the full version I got somewhere else.
It was you that pointed it out to me though, wasn't it? Or am I just making shit up?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:26 pm

I don't use a shitload of plugs generally. I've had trouble finding a decent guitar pedal type delay plug, so I got a proper stereo guitar delay pedal for Christmas and I'll be using that, I expect. Increasingly I'm "going to tape" with things like reverbs and delays on guitars, because they are a feature of the sound I'm creating, rather than something I want to tweak later.
I don't know if they still exist, but I got this delay plug a loooong time ago called Kjaerhus Classic Delay. I like it. Still use it.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:06 pm
Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:26 pm That's about it for the stock ones. I don't actually use the JS Event Horizon, I have the full version I got somewhere else.
It was you that pointed it out to me though, wasn't it? Or am I just making shit up?
Yeah, it was... I discovered it was Reaper stock when I was looking through the endless list for interesting things to play with. :biggrin: I should use it - save me being nagged by the real version for payment and having guilt moments each time I fire it up. :shock:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:11 pm
Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:26 pm

I don't know if they still exist, but I got this delay plug a loooong time ago called Kjaerhus Classic Delay. I like it. Still use it.
Cool - I shall hunt for it. I was using this TAL-Delay thing but I don't get on with it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:14 pm Cool - I shall hunt for it. I was using this TAL-Delay thing but I don't get on with it.
If you can't find it, let me know and I'll give you the .dll for it. It doesn't require any install as far as I remember.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:15 pm
Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:14 pm Cool - I shall hunt for it. I was using this TAL-Delay thing but I don't get on with it.
If you can't find it, let me know and I'll give you the .dll for it. It doesn't require any install as far as I remember.
Will do. Thanks.
rayc

Post by rayc »

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1874
I've had it for years but I only use it occasionally as I don't play lead so have little use for delay unless I'm going psychaedelic again.
It's only 32 not 64 though.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:33 am http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1874
I've had it for years but I only use it occasionally as I don't play lead so have little use for delay unless I'm going psychaedelic again.
It's only 32 not 64 though.
I actually only use it for vocals. very rarely on guitar.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

ReaEq is about the only stock vst that I use. I also use the Kjaerhus Classic Delay on vocals and sometimes guitars.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:14 pm I don't use it simply because I don't like the GUI of it, but I could if I wanted to because I understand how to set a compressor.
That's pretty much why I don't use any of the stock plugs in REAPER. I'm sure they're all fine. I just can't get into using them.

I use a variety of plugs; Mostly Waves, and a shit ton of free ones.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah Reaper plugs are often like that SIR thing - looks like they were designed in 1992 and never changed. They do work great, they just look terrible.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rammer24 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:39 am and a shit ton of free ones.
We should have a sticky of links to free VSTs
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Not a bad idea.

Here are a few pages that I check out regularly:

http://www.vstwarehouse.com/

http://www.vst4free.com/

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

rammer24 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:13 pm Not a bad idea.

Here are a few pages that I check out regularly:

http://www.vstwarehouse.com/

http://www.vst4free.com/

https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/downloads/
That's pretty much the places that I've gotten most of my plugins from.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

ReaEQ is the only native plugin that I use on absolutely every track I do. I do like the JS exciter on snare.

The Kjaerhus suite of plugins is very good, despite being 32-bit. Their delay is excellent and their chorus is still the best reproduction of an analogue chorus that I've ever heard.
Haggard Musician :mad:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Ah, on vocals - well, that's my learning for Friday done.
Cheers
rayc