Reaper and Folders

This should be self explanatory.
liv_rong

Reaper and Folders

Post by liv_rong »

I accidentally made some folders and I dont know how to get rid of them. You guys know how? Looking at you Greg.......
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Re: Reaper and Folders

Post by JD01 »

Expand the rows and a little icon will appear at the bottom right that looks like a folder. Click on it a few times and it will become an X
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:18 am Expand the rows and a little icon will appear at the bottom right that looks like a folder. Click on it a few times and it will become an X
So Simple! Thanks dude! Im such a fuckin newb,
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

While we're all gathered here? What is the purpose of said folders? I thought it was to kind of group a bunch of tracks together so you can minimize them and simply the workspace but the few times i tried it it didn't really work.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:45 pm While we're all gathered here? What is the purpose of said folders? I thought it was to kind of group a bunch of tracks together so you can minimize them and simply the workspace but the few times i tried it it didn't really work.
You can apply an effect to the top folder and it applies to all of the sub folders. Say you want both you left and right rhythm in a folder. Then you could send that whole folder to your verb or add a compressor to the folder.

Each of my guitars is captured using two mics, so rhythm guitars will be a top folder, rhythm left will be a sub folder and in there I'll have mics 1 and 2 so I can blend.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't think I've ever used folders like this.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I use them like buses, like JD described. Only, I don't tend to make them more than 1 layer deep. I've had some weird things happen, plus it's kind of a pain in the butt once they get nested 2 and 3 layers deep.

I'll usually wrap all of the individual drums into a folder and use that folder as a drum bus for compression or whatever. Or grouping backing vocals together into a bus so they can be compressed together. Simple things like that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I do the same thing with group tracks. I've just never tucked them all into a folder.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I use a folder as a drum buss too.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:54 pm I do the same thing with group tracks. I've just never tucked them all into a folder.
I do you a screen grab when I’m back in the uk. Liv might find it interesting too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:22 pm
I do you a screen grab when I’m back in the uk. Liv might find it interesting too.
I know what it is. I just don't use it that way.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Ive never used it and somehow made it happen by hitting buttons/clicking while moving something. Ive always thought I would use it for mixing, like grouping all the drums together and turning them all down or up at once once I establish a good drum mix. Things like that. Maybe with this EP Ill do it that way.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Oh man! I love folders and use 'em all the time!

Some of my use cases:
1. Treat them as a bus for specific instruments (all drums, r-guitar 1 DI and amped, all bgvox, etc)
2. Track templates (I have track templates for each EZD kit I have with about a dozen sub-tracks: EZD instance, a few channels for midi editing, each individual "mic" from EZD)
3. Quickly edit volume across a large number of tracks. (Since EVERYthing is in a folder, I've mapped ctrl+shift+a to the "select all top-level folders" action. Thus if my drums are too quiet, but they're already too close to peaking: ctrl+shift+a, ctrl+click the drum folder to unselect, drag everything else down 1 dB or so)
4. Save screen real-estate when I've got 90 tracks going in a project. (They don't collapse down entirely, but once nested and collapsed a single track is less than 5px high)

They're super-useful.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Guys.

you are all wizards and i tip my hat to you all. I hit record and use reaper for very basic functions. I feel like a ninnymuggins compared to these short cut mappers and folder gurus.

Hats Off!

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:03 pm Guys.

you are all wizards and i tip my hat to you all. I hit record and use reaper for very basic functions. I feel like a ninnymuggins compared to these short cut mappers and folder gurus.

Hats Off!

Ditto. I just stack tracks and leave them. I don't do any shortcuts nor do I know how to do any shortcuts. :confused:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

There's a ton of tools here.
this is where the magic lives.png
If you think "there ought to be a shortcut for this laborious process I keep doing", it may very well be there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Damn are you using Windows 2.0 or something?
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:53 pm Damn are you using Windows 2.0 or something?
LOL I was wondering the same thing. Looks like Windows 95 :D
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That would be the default theme from version... 3 I believe?

I switch each new version to that 'cause I like the high contrast better than the green.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:10 pm ...90 tracks...
/me shudders ... :crazy:
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂