REAPER PDC discovery.....

This should be self explanatory.
rammer24

REAPER PDC discovery.....

Post by rammer24 »

Hopefully this might help some people. I had a problem that I thought I just had to live with. Every time I'd do a track, it would end up slightly ahead of the click and the other tracks, and I'd have to nudge it back. Even when I experimented and made sure I'm playing right on time or as close as is humanly possible. So, I just resigned myself to the fact that it had something to do with latency, monitoring, and/or some combination of the two.

Well, I stumbled upon this today and it fixed the problem. When you're about to record a track, right click the red RECORD light. 4 lines down you'll see "Preserve PDC delayed monitoring in recorded items". Click that. It does something. I'm not sure what, but it solved my problem. Just layed down a few tracks, and they're right on.

Here's what I'm talking about:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rammer24 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Re: REAPER PDC discovery.....

Post by Greg_L »

That's really weird. I don't have that problem and my option that you mentioned is not checked. I've never heard of that.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Neither had I. Maybe the reason I have that problem is because I pretty much mix as I track. So, the tracks that are already recorded probably have plug-ins on them, Eq, compression, whatever? Maybe you don't do it that way, so you don't have to deal with the latency that an effect might create ont the tracks I'm monitoring? I don't know.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote:Neither had I. Maybe the reason I have that problem is because I pretty much mix as I track. So, the tracks that are already recorded probably have plug-ins on them, Eq, compression, whatever? Maybe you don't do it that way, so you don't have to deal with the latency that an effect might create ont the tracks I'm monitoring? I don't know.
I don't know either. It is weird. That might be something for the Reaper forum. I bet those fucking mega-nerds can explain it.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Some, but not all plug-ins add a certain amount of latency, & I think that basically kills the latency...

Some plug-ins on the master track will add latency too, did you happen to have any fx/plugins on the master???
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I haven't come across that but my AI software has a zero latency option for tracking - I always select that so don't know if I have the problem.
Interesting though as it's another Reaper tool hidden away until someone stumbles on it. I'll look it up in the manual.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Plugin Delay Compensation.

I'll have to check, but I used to have to enable this to get my midi drum tracks to line up if I was doing "live" fake drums.