Crashing VSTs disabling tracks

General recording topics.
JD01

Crashing VSTs disabling tracks

Post by JD01 »

Weird thing happened to me the other day and I don't know why, I can't get the error to repeat which is annoying as I don't want it to happen randomly.

I have a project with different compressors on different tracks - using 3 different types of compressor in total.
Two of them (Red 3 and Antares Modern) have the x86 in the name that you get sometimes but both work fine.

However, when I rendered, the was a delay when it didn't work then after being a bit clunky it rendered. However, the tracks which had the x86 VSTs on them were missing. The main problem was though that those compressors weren't working any more - I couldn't just refresh them or anything simple. I had to remove them, add them back in and then work out what my settings were. So it was like a minor remix which was bloody irritating.. and I had to check the FX on every track 'cos I couldn't remember which compressors were where and wanted to make sure that I hadn't missed anything.

Anyone know why this happened? They all worked fine after I added them back in.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Crashing VSTs disabling tracks

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I've had this happen with reverb. My reaper doesn't like having too many reverbs in it at all. And while the tracks weren't missing after a render like you experienced, my fix was much like yours. had to delete and add the reverbs back in and remix only to have it happen a second time so i had to get creative and make only one or two reverbs work.

Be curious to hear what others have to say.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I can't say I've ever had this problem. That's a weird one.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

The closest I've come to something like this is when I've had mutiple projects open, like 4 or 5. If I open one more,I won't crash, but all my Amplitube 4 instances stop working, so I just hear a direct guitar. The Amplitube plugs still show in my effects list, but the GUI doesn't show up. All I have to do to fix it is delte the Amplitube plug and re-assign it. Once in a while, if I open one too many projects, my computer will re-start, which sucks if I forgot to save my last few actions. That's why I'm alwyas pressing "Control-S" constantly.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote:x
Might know the answer
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I haven't witnessed that behavior personally, so I don't have anything concrete to offer.

The x86 plugins are 32-bit VSTs, and they have to run in a special "bridge" mode if you're running a 64-bit version of Reaper. Sometimes that x86-to-x64 bridge can act funny. I have seen that x86 plugins eat up more CPU when they run bridged, and I've had them behave a little weird sometimes. But I haven't had them totally drop out like you're describing.

As an experiment, you can try rendering to a different sample rate. Like 44.1 kHz instead of 48 kHz, or vice versa. Do you render to WAV, or straight to MP3?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Usually render straight to mp3 for test mixes like what I posted this week.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Annoying,

Can't get to the bottom of this. All my Antares VSTs crashed again today and I'm going to have to redo them all. They were crashing a lot so I'd got in the habit of saving a lot and then just reopening the project every time they crashed, but this time I opened the project to do a bit of remixing and a message popped up to tell me they were fucked. I think I'm gonna have to go back to using focusrite and Reaper ones only for now. Piss.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have trouble with some Antares stuff - they run but "pop" every few seconds. I downloaded a 2nd set which seems to work better BUT it was ages ago & I can't remember which set is which. I'll have to get inside & check installation dates etc.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I just tweeted to antares to check out the thread. We shall see if we get any feedback for you jd.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, hopefully they do 'cos they've basically become unusable now.

I was starting to get some good results with the Modern Compressor and the Exciter too but I can't carry on using them until I get a permanent solution. I'm bad enough at mixing vocals as it is without having to reapply my compressors every time I open a project.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's very strange. Have you tried uninstalling them and reinstalling a newer version of plugs? Is your Reaper up to date?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I think my Reaper is up to date. I will check on the weekend 'cos I am finally going to get around to re-tracking the vocals to that track "It Isn't easy" that I posted up a few weeks ago. I might try looking for the latest version of the Antares plugs too as I liked both that Modern Compressor and the Exciter. Even though I've only used them on that stupid fucking Microbes On Mars song which gets stuck in my head and drives me crazy!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Just to derail the thread a little bit, what doe the Antares plugin bring to the table that you can't already get from the stock reaper stuff? this more just a curiosity for me. I had never heard of Antares until this thread if i am honest. I am also not a guy that goes out of his way to look for plugins that aren't really there. Very much a word of mouth kind of guy. Last new plug ins i got were the focusrite ones and that is only because i heard people in here talking about them
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:06 pm Just to derail the thread a little bit, what doe the Antares plugin bring to the table that you can't already get from the stock reaper stuff? this more just a curiosity for me. I had never heard of Antares until this thread if i am honest. I am also not a guy that goes out of his way to look for plugins that aren't really there. Very much a word of mouth kind of guy. Last new plug ins i got were the focusrite ones and that is only because i heard people in here talking about them
Greg just recommended Antares compressors and stuff to me for when I am working on vocals. I didn't get on with them at first 'cos I was using a Line6 vocal preamp sim. When I started recording vocals dry straight into my interface I found them pretty useful. I don't know if they have a particular sound or if the interface just makes them easy for me to use whereas I find Reacomp interface tricky - its just so hard to visualise what its doing.

I'll change to using the Scarlett and RED3 compressors from Focusrite for now until I can get to the bottom of this.

I did like that "exciter" though from Antares - I've no idea what it was doing but random knob twiddling yielded some good results.
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Do you mean the Antress Modern plugins? Antares make Autotune.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

jonny deep wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:14 pm Do you mean the Antress Modern plugins? Antares make Autotune.
Yeah - haha, shit. I'd never even noticed the difference in spelling!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

lol. So is it Antress or Antares?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Antress! I'd never even noticed they were different things before. I don't own anything by Antares :lollers2:

:spacepalm: