Do you have stuff sitting on your studio desk that you'll never use again?

General recording topics.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I just did a quick re-org of the desk this morning because it was just getting too much to deal with and I realised that I had no valid reason to still have my standalone preamps there, taking up space, apart from the fact that they have lots of knobs and look cool.

I haven't use them for yonks and probably won't again. Maybe the Mindprint for bass. Maybe.

So the Mindprint Envoice and Presonus MP20 have been removed. No idea what to do with them now! :lollers:

Desk looks much more organised though. :like:
JD01

Re: Do you have stuff sitting on your studio desk that you'll never use again?

Post by JD01 »

I've got so little gear that I use all of it! I only have two interfaces and three mics.

I could do with getting rid of 1 or 2 guitars and at least 1 bass though.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:01 am I've got so little gear that I use all of it! I only have two interfaces and three mics.

I could do with getting rid of 1 or 2 guitars and at least 1 bass though.
Two interfaces?

Just the one here. I moved the Mindprint Envoice, which is a not bad channel strip, because I only ever really use it for a bass DI, but I'll perhaps revisit it in the future on vocals for <cough> tube warmth, but I can't see a use for a two channel preamp right now - the preamps on my interface are probably better anyway, and one less thing in the chain... :like:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - I have the Focusrite which sits on my desk and has my monitors plugged into it. Its really reliable, doesn't look too ugly and has direct monitoring.

I also have a Line6 TonePort UX2. I still use this when recording vocals - the reason being that I record vocals into a pre-amp sim in Line6's GearBox software. They don't even support GearBox anymore and Gearbox won't run unless you're using a Line6 interface. I probably won't be able to use this much longer as it will just stop working so I'll have to work out how to use a different preamp VST.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

probably the studio
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 10:41 am probably the studio
:lollers:

I'd say the desk itself, but it's holding all the other stuff I don't use!

I used to pick up every $20 microphone that came up on Musician's Friend's stupid deal of the day, so I've got 4-5 cheap dynamics plus all the old cheap dynamics my brother used to have and just foisted off on me.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I have an Alesis MidiverbII that has lost a stereo channel and the program change buttons are intermittent. I use it to lift my interface up so it's easier to get to the knobs. :)
Haggard Musician :mad:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Pretty much everything on my studio desk is not being used...

sadtrombone.mp3
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 7:51 pm Pretty much everything on my studio desk is not being used...

sadtrombone.mp3
Yeah, this for me too. I use my interface and monitors more for just listening to music and watching videos and movies than I do actual recording or mixing.
witzendoz

Post by witzendoz »

Sounds like half my studio, I have a lot of gear I never use, however it is worth nothing to sell so I keep it just in case. :facepalm:

I have sold a couple of mics recently that I will never use, and used the money to buy some more mics LOL. I also slowly got rid of my old PA gear for my old touring rig, sold it for peanuts, funny thing is that some of it has turned up for sale again in the vintage section :facepalm2:

Alan.