Remote Terminal Settings.

General recording topics.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Remote Terminal Settings.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

As i sat at my kitchen table last night tapped into my computer at work, diligently trying to stay on top of things. I looked at the stairs leading down to my music room and sighed a little bit and felt a pretty deep resentment toward the hand that feeds him.

and then it hit me. :sherlock: :sherlock: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

I was sitting there remote into my work computer from home? What if i could remote into my DAW from work???? :confused: Granted it wouldn't be good for mixing, tracking or anything like that obviously, but if i could set that up what would be stopping me from doing a bit of editing or Ezdrummer programming on my lunch breaks and stuff? It is quite possible my employer has firewalls and all that stuff in place to prevent it but what it i could get it done. I looked into it and doesn't appear all that tricky to set up with windows 10.

This could be interesting. :like: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees:
:happytrees:
JD01

Re: Remote Terminal Settings.

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:00 pm As i sat at my kitchen table last night tapped into my computer at work, diligently trying to stay on top of things. I looked at the stairs leading down to my music room and sighed a little bit and felt a pretty deep resentment toward the hand that feeds him.

and then it hit me. :sherlock: :sherlock: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

I was sitting there remote into my work computer from home? What if i could remote into my DAW from work???? :confused: Granted it wouldn't be good for mixing, tracking or anything like that obviously, but if i could set that up what would be stopping me from doing a bit of editing or Ezdrummer programming on my lunch breaks and stuff? It is quite possible my employer has firewalls and all that stuff in place to prevent it but what it i could get it done. I looked into it and doesn't appear all that tricky to set up with windows 10.

This could be interesting. :like: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees:
I have Reaper and EZD set up on my work laptop.
So I can work on stuff during the week (you know I work away from home)
the path to my recording directories is identical on both machines so I can just copy the directory over to my home machine or, if there's already a working project on the home machine, just open up the one I've done at work and copy over the updated MIDI strip.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That would be ideal but peasant employees here at my employ do not carry enough permissions to do their own installs.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've been wanting to do this same thing for years now. It'd be great to be able to render a latest mix and listen to it (or at least get it to some location that I can access from work). I think it comes down to a couple of things: allowing your work login as a valid account for remote desktop on your home computer, and figuring out how to resolve your IP address so you can reach it from outside your home network. I have no idea how to do either of those things!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

me either but i think i am going to find out how!!!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:46 pm That would be ideal but peasant employees here at my employ do not carry enough permissions to do their own installs.
Install it on a thumb drive? (portable install)

I know reaper supports it (not sure if EZD does tho)
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Online DAWs are getting pretty good these days...

https://chrome.soundation.com/ , for example. (I had fun the other day loading up a few of the tracks in this DAW that someone had posted separately in the Tone Thread, just so I could play around with tweaking the balance of mic A vs. mic B, or whatever it was...)

A big problem, of course, is the best ones charge $$ for a subscription if you want to save anything or have full access to all the features. It seems you'd have to commit to going w/the online DAW all the time to justify the cost, and given I've already purchased a DAW, I'm not going to do that now. But if I were starting from scratch...hmmm, maybe.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂