MIDI keyboard - don't know what I'm talking about

Keyboards? Kazoos? Dulcimers? Alphorns? Aeolian harp? Here's the place to chat about your favourite instrument
JD01

MIDI keyboard - don't know what I'm talking about

Post by JD01 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:05 am

Right, I basically have no idea what I'm looking for.

I want to learn to play the piano. I might at some point consider using piano in recording but probably not.
I know I want a "full size" on with 88 keys and that's it.

I want to be able to plug it into my computer so I can try using different piano VSTs but I figured it would also be handy for using with EZ Drummer to make things a bit easier to programme and probably more fun too. I'm starting to hate mousing clicking.

Might be fun to cock about with other virtual instruments too, strings, horns and stuff.
Ideally I want something that will work with my Focusrite 2i2.

Anyone know what I'm looking for? Any recommendations? What sort of things do you have to look out for?

Tadpui

Re: MIDI keyboard - don't know what I'm talking about

Post by Tadpui » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:31 am

Remember that the 2i2 doesn't have midi in/out, so any midi controller would have to be USB into your computer. Or I guess that midi interfaces are relatively cheap, so you could get one of those if you want to use 5-pin.

I've only owned 2 midi controllers, both very entry-level. Just a couple weeks ago I got the 2nd one, which is a Nektar Impact. Mine is the 25 key, but they come in 49 and 88 key models. I wanted something sized for a desktop, and this won out for the feature set that I needed. I like having knobs to assign to various parameters, some pads to tap out drums, and the transport controls have been surprisingly handy. The fader even works on channel faders in reaper. The full sized keys feel fine to me, but I'm no pianist. They're definitely synth action keys and not weighted like a piano.

rayc

Post by rayc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:20 am

You be best to get a keyboard with a USB midi as Tad says.
Cheers
rayc

Minerman

Post by Minerman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:27 pm

Not much help here Jdude, but I've had an Alesis Q25 for a few years, & it's ok...I'm not a piano/keyboard player at all, so I don't need much in that area, but again, the Q25 does ok...

Alesis Q25

You can probably find something as good/better for the same price, probably even cheaper now...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez
Marshall, EVH, Yamaha
Psychobilly Isolation Cabinet

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:

SweetDan

Post by SweetDan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 am

JD01 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:05 am
I want to learn to play the piano...

I know I want a "full size" on with 88 keys and that's it.

I want to be able to plug it into my computer so I can try using different piano VSTs...
That's good. If you truly intend to learn to play the piano, maybe even take lessons, I'd get one of the major brand (Casio, Yamaha, etc.), lower-end digital pianos with semi- or fully-weighted keys. One downside may be that these types of models rarely include touch pads.
JD01 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:05 am
...but I figured it would also be handy for using with EZ Drummer to make things a bit easier to programme and probably more fun too...
(Maybe; I'm finding it's easier for me to "create"/compose drum parts with more groove by actually playing the drums, even on my little kick/snare/hats "kit". Banging out drum hits on a keyboard or touch pads may give better results than mouse clicks, certainly, but YMMV.)

Whatever you do, make sure the keyboard or digital-piano can speak MIDI over a USB port, which you can then connect to your computer to mess around w/virtual instruments and laying down drum tracks.
awesome youtube comment of the day:
which resistor gets rid of the pop music?

JD01

Post by JD01 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:05 am

Cheers guys. All real useful.