9:30 is too early to leave for a gig

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Lt. Bob

9:30 is too early to leave for a gig

Post by Lt. Bob »

bleh ..... playing too freakin' much!
Got an 11am in Winter Park and then straight from there to a 6pm start time in Daytona ..... thank God I have nothing tomorrow (so far ) and nothing until wed.

I'm sick of music right now ...... :mad: :headwall:
Greg_L

Re: 9:30 is too early to leave for a gig

Post by Greg_L »

I'm awake for some reason and can't imagine having to play right now. Fuck that,
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Man, I thought you meant 9:30pm, which is also too early for a gig. Bars are open untl 3am here, ao first set is usually around 11pm. I remember leaving to go gig on a Tuesday at 10:30. Now, I can't even imagine that. I can't believe I used to think that was normal.

9:30 AM?????? That's kooky talk. :cuckoo: :eek: :eep:
rayc

Post by rayc »

The jobbing musician's lot I suppose. Brunch gigs - I wonder who's listening?
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

just in ..... first gig was outside in the freakin' sun ..... it was miserable hot .... then I played a wedding party with a bitch running things .....
man ...... 400 bucks though so gimme gimme gimme
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:35 pm Man, I thought you meant 9:30pm, which is also too early for a gig. Bars are open untl 3am here, ao first set is usually around 11pm. I remember leaving to go gig on a Tuesday at 10:30. Now, I can't even imagine that. I can't believe I used to think that was normal.

9:30 AM?????? That's kooky talk. :cuckoo: :eek: :eep:
Do people stay at bars until 3!? Where I am, every venue wants their shows to run from 10-2 every night, but most of the attendees have day jobs and want to leave by 11!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, they do. At 3am, they're banging for one for more song, trying to get one more drink, and all the guys are trying to pick up the 3 fat chicks that are still sitting at the bar.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 am

Do people stay at bars until 3!? Where I am, every venue wants their shows to run from 10-2 every night, but most of the attendees have day jobs and want to leave by 11!
That's how it is here too. The best time slot to play is around 10-11. Finish by midnight. Some idiot bands still think it's cool to be "the headliner" and they want to play dead last as if every other band is their opener. Fine, start at 12:30 or 1am and you go ahead and play last to the 3 people that work behind the bar because everyone else has left. Bars close at 2, and bands NEVER play till closing time....unless they're stupid.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

In New Orleans when we'd play the Maple Leaf the gig started at 3am!

It was 3am-7am and people would be leaving talking about going to an after hours bar.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:55 pm In New Orleans when we'd play the Maple Leaf the gig started at 3am!

It was 3am-7am and people would be leaving talking about going to an after hours bar.
That's New Orleans though. It never stops. N.O. and NYC are all day and night. Most other places are go to bed at 11. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

It's funny but after so many years of that my internal clock says "Stay up all night!!"
lol ...... I'm NEVER in bed before 2am and 3-4am is common even if I'm not gigging.

I'm locked into the voodoo!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:13 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 am

That's how it is here too. The best time slot to play is around 10-11. Finish by midnight. Some idiot bands still think it's cool to be "the headliner" and they want to play dead last as if every other band is their opener. Fine, start at 12:30 or 1am and you go ahead and play last to the 3 people that work behind the bar because everyone else has left. Bars close at 2, and bands NEVER play till closing time....unless they're stupid.
I used to play regularly at nights with 4 acts. Short sets and reasonably early. And I realised then that being "headliner" was the death. Never first, as that's the warmup act by the chick/guy who's really nervous and talks too much about their songs. Second was good if you brought your own crowd. Third was better as everyone was lubricated. Fourth - did it once - it was a school night and about 50% the people we brought from far and wide needed to get home and so a few of them didn't stay the full set. Never did that again. Always insisted on third.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:15 pm

I used to play regularly at nights with 4 acts. Short sets and reasonably early. And I realised then that being "headliner" was the death. Never first, as that's the warmup act by the chick/guy who's really nervous and talks too much about their songs. Second was good if you brought your own crowd. Third was better as everyone was lubricated. Fourth - did it once - it was a school night and about 50% the people we brought from far and wide needed to get home and so a few of them didn't stay the full set. Never did that again. Always insisted on third.
Exactly. Not first, not last.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

9:30am is just too early for anything, IMO. :crazy:

In a perfect world, I would never wake up any earlier than 11am.
Of course...I would also never go to bed before 3-4am. :)

That said...since I have to go in to work tomorrow, that means I will be getting up at about 6am....and feel like shit for the rest of the day. :facepalm:

I need that early retirement, soon... so I can live by my 11am to 3am bio-clock every day. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Damn you slacker ass slackers. I get up at 4:15 and don't even have to. I gotta get my run in before it hits 98 degrees.

(I take some wicked naps though)
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

What are you running from at 4am...? :P
So you're on central time...which is 10pm right now...so that means you're doing about 5-6 hours sleep.
Yeah, no wonder you need the naps. I try do get in at least a 1-hour nap during my lunch hour...can't function on 5-6 hours every day.
WTF do you do on gig nights...still get up at 4am to go running?

I just hate the morning, that's all...it's got nothing to do with "slacker".
I'm still going full-tilt when most people are already in bed. I'm fucking wide awake now, and have to find some way to go to sleep so I can get up at 6am.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

miroslav wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 am 9:30am is just too early for anything, IMO. :crazy:

Absolutely right!!!

:coolstorybro:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:22 am What are you running from at 4am...? :P
Heat, mostly.
So you're on central time...which is 10pm right now...so that means you're doing about 5-6 hours sleep.
Yeah, no wonder you need the naps. I try do get in at least a 1-hour nap during my lunch hour...can't function on 5-6 hours every day.
WTF do you do on gig nights...still get up at 4am to go running?
No, I'm not some religious runner or anything. Weekdays, I get up early and go to the gym or go run. Weekends are more whatever. But sleeping in on a weekend is like 9 am for me. I hate waking up late. I feel like half the day is gone.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:25 am No, I'm not some religious runner or anything. Weekdays, I get up early and go to the gym or go run. Weekends are more whatever. But sleeping in on a weekend is like 9 am for me. I hate waking up late. I feel like half the day is gone.
Impressive. I get up at 6.30am for no particular reason.
I used to get up at 6 for work and be there by 7.20 even though I didn't start the paid day until 8.30.
Simply because most people are reluctant starters & I could get a heap of stuff done before anyone else arrived at work.
After 8.15 it was "Could you/would you/I need/ where's the/break in in room X etc etc."
Now I don't need to but it still means I can sip a cuppa, read a book or do whatever I want to - so long as it's quiet.
Cheers
rayc