Me at my happiest

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Lt. Bob

Me at my happiest

Post by Lt. Bob »

Time for me to start posting and for me, live is where I'm truly er ah, alive. :facepalm:
So I'm gonna post a bunch of live stuff or gig pics over the next few weeks.
I'll plan on at least one a night.

I've been digging thru my stuff to get some tracks I want to post and ran across this ... I had actually forgotten about it but it seems like a good starting point.
Now for those that don't know, my specialty is instant musician ...a 'hired gun' that can play with your band the very first moment I meet you and sound like I've been playing with you for a while.
I can do it on sax/guitar or bass ..... but when I'm pushing my way up on stage with guys who haven't invited me I tend to use sax since you don't have to take anyone's instrument from them so it's a lot easier to get up on stage and stay up.

Important note .... if you ask me my very favorite thing to do is my answer is always "Playin' with people I've never met doing music I've never heard."
OMG I freakin' LOVE that. About as challenging as you're gonna get ... exciting and rewarding when you get it right.
I understand that a lot of folks aren't comfortable with this but I absolutely love it and the more complex the music the better

So these clips are the epitome of that very thing.

It's the very first week I got to Florida. I did not know a single person in Florida .. not one ... well, Debi's parents on the other side of the state but that's it.
I also hadn't played in Florida except for one jam in Deland a couple of nights prior to this. So one of those guys told me I should go to the Bank & Blues for their Wednesday jam .... that a lot of the people I needed to meet went there.
So I showed up .... back then I was recording live with a DAT-Walkman .... a little battery powered mixer and three mics and I was pretty good at getting an accurate recording of what was there .... fortunately the Bank always has good sound.
The musicians ( all of whom I know well now 11 years later but did not know at the time) are all locals who play in various bands around Daytona and would come to the Bank on Wed. ..... all fairly decent players ..... not bad great but decent.
They certainly didn't know me and were prolly a bit surprised at me coming in setting up mics and saying I wanted to play with the house band and not the jammers that would come up later.
Most of these tunes I had never played before although a lot of them are just various blues

So here I am not knowing a soul, walking in and setting up mics to record me playing with these guys .... sorta nervy I guess but I'm pretty pushy about wanting to play because I know it will go well.
Still, I'm pretty sure they must have been thinking, "who the hell is this guy?"
I actually use a pic from that night on my business cards.
Another important note: ..As usual I was extremely stoned and prolly somewhat drunk. :)

So anyways ..... here's clips of the sax stuff I did that night ... each clip is about 5 minutes long and has solos from 5 or 6 songs.

I met a buncha people and the next week I had 4 or 5 gigs a week ..... went well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Wed May 03, 2017 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Bob

Re: Me at my happiest

Post by Lt. Bob »

Here's the other clip .... these clips are me at my very happiest having the most fun there is to have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice!!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Solos at Bank 2 was cool, just listening to Solos at Bank 1 now.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bank 1 is the better of the two IMO
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed May 03, 2017 12:30 pm Bank 1 is the better of the two IMO
I had Bank 1 on my headphones and I was working. I realised it had been going around on repeat... I had no idea how many times I ended up listening to it before I started noticing a few repeated phrases.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Epic beard!
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

to go with my epic belly!

:lollers2:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Lt. giving everyone good sax... :D
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bob this is awesome man. If these tracks are all improv, off the cuff riffing (do they call it riffing on a sax?) stuff you are a sax wizard. Very cool share man. I dig it.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

oh it's definitely off the cuff .... that's actually my thing.

A few years ago I was doing a hired gun gig with some horn band and I heard two of them talking about me and one said, "You just point your finger at him and off he goes!"

I can do the same thing on guitar but it's always easier to get on stage with sax.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 2:45 pm oh it's definitely off the cuff .... that's actually my thing.

A few years ago I was doing a hired gun gig with some horn band and I heard two of them talking about me and one said, "You just point your finger at him and off he goes!"

I can do the same thing on guitar but it's always easier to get on stage with sax.
HAHAH thats awesome man. Do you have video footage of this stuff laying around. it would be cool to see it sometime.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I think there's some floating around on facebook maybe ...... I've been meaning to look for some ... maybe this'll make me do so.
Roman

Post by Roman »

i Haven't heard the tracks yet, but damn! You're a big man! You make that sax look tiny. Maybe time to audition for Bruce Springsteen. Seeing how the "Big Man" is gone, maybe you'll get a shot.:D
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Great stuff, Bob!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu May 04, 2017 1:55 am to go with my epic belly!

:lollers2:
"Epic Beard Gut" will be the name of my ZZ-top cover band!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Epic Beard Gut !! hahahahahahahahaha! That's an awesome name for something!
:D
rayc

Post by rayc »

Only on #2 at present but WOW.You have to believe the Steve.
I take it brew and mull don't screw or dull you improv. skills.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Fri May 05, 2017 4:54 am
I take it brew and mull don't screw or dull you improv. skills.
nope ..... dunno why but it just doesn't.

A good friend told me once "Man, I've seen you FUCKED up ........ but I've never seen you when you couldn't play."

:lollers:

lol ..... I'm a bad influence.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Awesome playing, Boob. :coolstorybro:
Haggard Musician :mad: