Violence at the gig.

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Audio Monster

Violence at the gig.

Post by Audio Monster »

If you have been or still are a gigging musician odds are you've witnessed a fight or two, or even 142.. I've seen a lot, I've often been on stage and started to see little things (situations) start to heat up and I'd just know where it was going. Seen a few really heavy duty ones where we had to stop playing so the door guys could get things together and try and restore some order. Most of these took place when I was touring and it wasn't all that rare to get sucked into volatile situations. When you a five other long hairs pull into a mid sized baseball cap wearing truck driving town for a week shit's gonna happen from time to time. Hell, just walking to Subway minding your own business as farmfuck and his buddy oilpig chirp from the truck as they drive by.. lol

:metal: :metal: :metal:
Greg_L

Re: Violence at the gig.

Post by Greg_L »

Being a punk rock retard, I have seen fights....and have left the stage to join in many times. Not lately though. Things have simmered down everywhere. No one fights anymore.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol ..... seen a few .... one where the lead singer/guitarist of his own band was asked to send a song out to Don and his wife on their anniversary.
It was at a church banquet and everyone was way dressed so it was important to them.

So Merle, for some reason, said, "This next song goes out to Don and his fat wife." :eep:
A minute later Merle's singing "Born to Lose" (lol .... I'll never forget a second of this ... :lollers: )
so he's singing this ballad .... got his eyes closed emoting ... meanwhile I see out there that Don's wife ( who unfortunately was fat ) has her head down sobbing inconsolably.
Then I see Don stand up and head for Merle who's COMPLETELY unaware since his eyes are closed while he sings his heart out ... Don ( a large guy ) grabs him by the collar and just starts pounding him in the face *BAM* *BAM* *BAM*

i step aside holding my bass away from the fray .... they start rolling around on the floor with Merle trying to get his 335 off his neck and Don just beating him in the face ..... they knock all the drums over which start rolling across the floor and even knock over the keyboard before a bunch of people finally stopped it.

Funniest fucking thing I ever saw! :lollers2:

Merle had huge swollen ubangi lips for weeks!
OMG ....... that was awesome!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 am lol ..... seen a few .... one where the lead singer/guitarist of his own band was asked to send a song out to Don and his wife on their anniversary.
It was at a church banquet and everyone was way dressed so it was important to them.

So Merle, for some reason, said, "This next song goes out to Don and his fat wife." :eep:
A minute later Merle's singing "Born to Lose" (lol .... I'll never forget a second of this ... :lollers: )
so he's singing this ballad .... got his eyes closed emoting ... meanwhile I see out there that Don's wife ( who unfortunately was fat ) has her head down sobbing inconsolably.
Then I see Don stand up and head for Merle who's COMPLETELY unaware since his eyes are closed while he sings his heart out ... Don ( a large guy ) grabs him by the collar and just starts pounding him in the face *BAM* *BAM* *BAM*

i step aside holding my bass away from the fray .... they start rolling around on the floor with Merle trying to get his 335 off his neck and Don just beating him in the face ..... they knock all the drums over which start rolling across the floor and even knock over the keyboard before a bunch of people finally stopped it.

Funniest fucking thing I ever saw! :lollers2:

Merle had huge swollen ubangi lips for weeks!
OMG ....... that was awesome!
:lollers2: that's awesome
rayc

Post by rayc »

I didn't see any from the stage and not many from the floor but I did see a classic when the singer, (Rose Tattoo's Angry Anderson - now known as Cranky Gary as he's moved into Redneck politics), at a small pub gig, took exception to a heckler, stepped off the stage, picked up a table and hit the bloke on top of the head with it, then punched him in the mouth before stepping back on stage and continuing to sing as the band hadn't missed a beat.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I saw some dumb posturing at my gig last weekend. Around here, the "headliners" don't close the night. Headliners get the around 11pm slot, which is the best time to play. The very last band from 1-2 am is usually some scrub crap band just to close the night. Anyway, this last late band last weekend was a bunch of kids playing really cheesy 80s covers, and not only was the material really bad, these kids played it really badly. And I mean kids. Like high school kids. Their parents were there! Anyway, some drunken older goof was heckling them somehow, I didn't see what he did, but I saw rockstar singer kid throw down his mic and jump off the stage like he's Axl Rose or something. Then the bassist threw down his bass and got to the edge of the stage too. Now all of this was charming and hilarious, but they were in way over their heads. These literal kids would have had the peach fuzz beaten off of them at this place. So I was torn as I was watching all of this unfold. On one hand I was like "yeah go get em kids!" because I love bar fights and hate drunken bar idiots. But on the other hand, I was hoping they'd get their heads caved in because they are really dumb to do something like that. Alas, nothing happened but a bunch of ego posturing so no fun for me. Since this was my bands' show, the bass player kid came up to me afterwards to ask how they did and if we'd invite them to play again. I just told him how stupid he was for thinking it's okay to fight one of the four people left in the club that actually paid any attention to them. His excuse was he was just defending his brother who was the singer and actually left the stage. Okay, I get that, but they both would have gotten knocked the fuck out and no one would have stopped it. Then their parents probably would have gotten beat up too. This was not the place for some snotty kids to act the fool.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Wow .... kids just did avoid getting a life lesson!
:D

Here's another one:
So a band (Van Broussard who has a BUNCH of CDs out and was a major star in La. ) was playing in Hammond.
That band took one break a night so it's breaktime and I go out to my van to smoke a doob.
I'm sitting in the drivers seat and hear some commotion behind my van .... look in the right side mirror and I see a couple, arms wrapped around each other, walking behind my van .... they cross and I see them in the left mirror as they pass by ..... then I hear someone yelling at them .... look back in the right mirror and see a guy pointing and yelling something with his hand in his shirt.
Then as I see him appear in the left mirror he pulls out a gun!

The couple jump into a p'up and crank it ..... hit the gas spinning the rear tires headed just feet from the front of my van ..... about that time the guy jumps onto the passenger side, sticks the gun in the window and *pow pow pow* ,,,,, the truck immediately stops ..... complete silence.
I'm thinking, "OMG, he just killed those two people".
Then the truck starts up again ..... wheels spinning and passes right by the cab of my van and hops the curb to the divided hywy and hauls off down the road to my right ... the guy with the gun is standing about 10 feet to my left and emptying his gun across the front of my van at the fleeing truck.

I've been frozen in place and suddenly realized, "Maybe I should get down" and just fell outta the seat to the floor of my truck.
Now I'm laying there wondering what the hell to do.
Did he see me?
Is he coming over here to take out the witness? Holy Shit!
After maybe 5 minutes nothing has happened and I warily peek one eye over the door to see where he is.
No one's there .... I look around ... make sure it's clear and hurry into the club.

The band looks up and says, (seriously) "Steve, what happened .... you're white as a ghost?!?"
They could actually see that lol ....

So I reported it to the cop at the door .... he really didn't seem that interested.
We played the same club a week later and he said there had been no reports of anyone getting shot and no one going to the hospital for a shooting.

Did he somehow miss them?
Did he bury them in a shallow grave?

I'll never know.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Was playing a gig once when the bride knocked out the best man with a fire extinguisher. That was good especially as she barely broke step as she was dancing. Another gig we played was a rowing clubs annual dinner and a bunch of pikeys crashed it. Refusing to leave the rowing club told us to take a break and go get a drink at the bar. No more than three minutes later they joined us leaving about a dozen punched out pikeys littering the dance floor. Not one of the rowing club had a bruise. Hilarious. Another time we rocked up to play at a place with tables up end on the stage front. We started clearing them to set up. The doorman asked us WTF we were doing and to put them back. An hour later as we crouched behind them with glasses and bottles flying we realised why... Oh the life of the gigging musician.
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

It's odd, but depending on the musical genre one chooses early on in life, the possibility of fighting may as well be in the job description.

Second road band I was in we had a 5'4 long haired guitar player who'd never been in a fight in his life. 18 months later he reluctantly had four doozies under his belt and he was a new man.