The glamour of gigging

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Lt. Bob

The glamour of gigging

Post by Lt. Bob »

How much sleep did you get last night?

ME? .... Not much .... they moved my Hilton gig to 9-1am .... it was already a late gig at 8-12 because load-in/load/out is a bear for this gig .... prolly 1/4 mile to move the gear ..... so with drive time I never get home quicker than 90 minutes after the gig so I already know I'm not getting home till 2:30am and it takes me a while to wind down and go to sleep.
So to make things even better, once I got to the valet area with my gear, the valet guys had lost my truck ...... took them 45 minutes to figure out where it was and bring it to me .... arghhhh!

Got home around 3:15am .... got to bed about 4:30am.

Then promptly at 8am my black lab stared me awake because she doesn't give the least little shit how much sleep daddy got, it's time for her walk dammit!
And if I don't walk her she will poop in the house.
So I get up .... walk her .... get back to the house ..... yay, I'm going right back to sleep.
Oh wait, a message on my phone ..... oh, Bob's sick and can I please cover for him at his Sunday noon gig? :spacepalm:

yes, yes I can ..... thank you for thinking of me Bob ..... I appreciate the work ....... :headwall:

Good thing I ain't no wussy guy.
rammer24

Re: The glamour of gigging

Post by rammer24 »

Lucky you. :D

Here in Montreal, bars are open until 3am. We'd usually do our first set at 10:30 or 11pm, and finish at 2:30. Load gear, etc...get home at 4am if I was lucky.

Luckily, I didn't have a dog at the time.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

And kids think being a rock star is so glamorous. Lol, it just turns into a job after while.
I know you play with others a lot but I think you said you were a solo act mainly.
One plus in that case is that you don't have to deal with band mates who are dinks.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

We had a very easy gig tonight. 3:30 pm load in, backline and drums only, 80 minute set then off stage by 8 pm. Home in time for tiffin! Sundays are great!

Shame that the wife got her knickers in a twist about something and fucked off to bed early. :mad:

In other news, I had a Forrest Gump moment during packing up time after the gig. In my defence, I was trying to listen to some bloke wittering away at me. :biggrin:

I spent about five minutes trying to get the cover of my Marshall head amp onto my 4x12 cab. The missus was weeing herself.

I'm too senile for this game.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rammer24 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:29 am Lucky you. :D

Here in Montreal, bars are open until 3am. We'd usually do our first set at 10:30 or 11pm, and finish at 2:30. Load gear, etc...get home at 4am if I was lucky.
in New Orleans we used to play at a place called the Maple Leaf .... start time was 3am .... played till 7am. People would be leaving talking about going to an after hours bar. :lollers2:
Bubba wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:52 pm In other news, I had a Forrest Gump moment during packing up time after the gig. In my defence, I was trying to listen to some bloke wittering away at me. :biggrin:

I spent about five minutes trying to get the cover of my Marshall head amp onto my 4x12 cab. The missus was weeing herself.
:lollers: