The battle of the loop hearing assist systems

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Rob Aylestone

The battle of the loop hearing assist systems

Post by Rob Aylestone »

Gig at a large community centre - all going great till I unmute the amp and all hell breaks loose - horrendous audio feedback, like an open mic. On my slightly fiddled with Jazz, turning both pickups up puts them out of phase, which I like, but backing either off, the screeching started - and through my amp I can hear somebody near the bar talking! Guitarist turns on his guitar and same thing. Loop system we both say - and sure enough, a brown single wire going all around the room, starting and finishing above the bar. Bar staff tell us there isn't one - we say there is, and we need it off. They deny knowledge, but we follow the wires to the back of their sound rack - and killing the power, restores our sanity.

Half way through the set, the bar manager turns it back on - and it stops us dead till they fix it by killing the power again.

I know they are there for a reason, but they are the worst thing to have anywhere near a single coil pickup!
JD01

Re: The battle of the loop hearing assist systems

Post by JD01 »

Why on earth did they deny they had one and then turn it back on later? That's just weird.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:51 pm Why on earth did they deny they had one and then turn it back on later? That's just weird.
Obviously they're Les Paul people... :metal: :biggrin:
Rob Aylestone

Post by Rob Aylestone »

No - hourly paid bar staff with keys.
Do you have a loop system?
No we don't.
Where do those brown wires go?
No idea
They vanish behind that rack with your sound system in it.
Oh, do they?
Can we turn it off?
Ok
Cured - thanks.
Do we have a loop system then?
Yes
What does it do?
Er. lets deaf people hear what is going on in the room?
Clever!