WhiskeyJack on stage

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
HatfieldCreek

WhiskeyJack on stage

Post by HatfieldCreek »

So I couldn't get any pictures (too busy singing along) but WhiskeyJack popped his cherry at a local venue this evening, jumping on stage and singing along with the real mckenzies. For those not in the know.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: WhiskeyJack on stage

Post by WhiskeyJack »

HatfieldCreek wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:21 am So I couldn't get any pictures (too busy singing along) but WhiskeyJack popped his cherry at a local venue this evening, jumping on stage and singing along with the real mckenzies. For those not in the know.
:happytrees:
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Good for you for having a good time this weekend. You've been working your arse off here and at work. Cool performance :)
Lived in Halifax from 70-80, sang that song many times. Good to be in Edmonton money wise though :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
HatfieldCreek

Post by HatfieldCreek »

I was hoping they'd do their cover of barrett's privateers, but no such luck. It's not as good as Stan's, but still.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I can't say that I've ever seen punk rock bagpipes before. Fine job, sir!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Now when you say "jumped on stage" does that mean in the "they invited me up to do guest vocals" sense or the "drunk guy in the audience grabs the mic" sense? :D
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:34 am "they invited me up to do guest vocals"
I'm not the latter individual. :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've been aware of the Real McKenzies for a while but haven't paid much attention to them because of all the bagpipes and kilts. I'm not into all that old-country Celtic whatever brand of punk rock. Songs about ships and lager bro-drinking and stuff. Yawn. But those guys are pretty good. I will investigate further. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

ido1957 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:54 pm Good for you for having a good time this weekend. You've been working your arse off here and at work. Cool performance :)
Lived in Halifax from 70-80, sang that song many times. Good to be in Edmonton money wise though :)
Have you ever been to the Trap and Gil in Edmonton Ido? Whenever i am in town i make sure to try and get the table with that songs lyrics scrawled all over it. The Donair Omelette there is to freakin die for.

Also interesting story, when i first moved here and made my first visit to the Trap and Gil i was elated to see a picture of the Red Eyed Seahorse, from the Seahorse tavern in Halifax. that was my punk rock venue of choice. Saw many a band there and played there lots myself. It was comforting to see a picture of it way out here.
Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:37 pm I've been aware of the Real McKenzies for a while but haven't paid much attention to them because of all the bagpipes and kilts. I'm not into all that old-country Celtic whatever brand of punk rock. Songs about ships and lager bro-drinking and stuff. Yawn. But those guys are pretty good. I will investigate further. :coolstorybro:
I think that stuff is kind a regional thing enjoyed mostly by Canadians and New Englanders. I'm pretty sure it's just kitsch to actual scots and other limeys. :lollers: :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 pm

I think that stuff is kind a regional thing enjoyed mostly by Canadians and New Englanders. I'm pretty sure it's just kitsch to actual scots and other limeys. :lollers: :lollers:
Yeah what's with all the Scottish gimmick anyway? Aren't they Canadian? Or is the head guy originally Scottish?
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:25 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:16 pm

Yeah what's with all the Scottish gimmick anyway? Aren't they Canadian? Or is the head guy originally Scottish?
Yea buddy's parents are off the boat scots i recall him saying in one of his patriotic diatribes that evening. LOL! I think more people would pay to see scottish kilt gimmick verus syrup head plaid tuxedo beaver pelt hat gimmick. (Which is an idea i have tossed around a lot just not sure how to get it off the ground haha) It might go over well here. Maybe not abroad. :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Yea buddy's parents are off the boat scots i recall him saying in one of his patriotic diatribes that evening. LOL! I think more people would pay to see scottish kilt gimmick verus syrup head plaid tuxedo beaver pelt hat gimmick. (Which is an idea i have tossed around a lot just not sure how to get it off the ground haha) It might go over well here. Maybe not abroad. :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers:
Lol. I guess everywhere has their regional gimmicks. Lots of "cow punk" down here in Texas.

I've always thought a zydeco-punk band could be fun, but I don't know any punk rock accordian players. They're all latinos.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:00 pm Lol. I guess everywhere has their regional gimmicks. Lots of "cow punk" down here in Texas.
Ah... Cow Punk... always an old favourite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWWVI2p_laM