Bubba and The Shambollix

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Bubba

Re: Bubba and The Shambollix

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:20 am
Bubba wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:12 am

What's up wi' Doncaster, then? :mad:
Have you been there? I'm lucky to be alive??!?!
We play there about ten times a year. :biggrin:

Not all at the same venue, of course. :sherlock:
Haggard Musician :mad:
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

The best thing about Doncaster is that it isn't Rotherham.
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

I thought you were from Castleford way for some reason, Bubba.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

jonny deep wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:50 am The best thing about Doncaster is that it isn't Rotherham.
Troof :guru: We play Rotherham a lot, too. :biggrin:

jonny deep wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:50 am I thought you were from Castleford way for some reason, Bubba.
Oh, I am. The rest of the band are from Donny/Mexborough way, so a lot of our gigs are around that area.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:28 am We play there about ten times a year. :biggrin:

Not all at the same venue, of course. :sherlock:
I haven't actually been to Doncaster for about 15 years.

Doing the work I do though I was always in the worst places in South Yorkshire; digging pits and drilling boreholes in derelict factories, mills and stuff - trying to find the depth to something you could build on!

I remember doing an old postal depot in Doncaster and there were fucking needles and glue-bags all over the place.
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:14 amneedles and glue-bags all over the place.
That could be the high street.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Tonight's stage:
woolpack.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

The new guitar (Son of Gobshite) popped its cherry tonight! It sounded excellent. The action and playability is not all it could be just yet, but the sound was very clear and detailed.
son of gobshite.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool. Looks great. You must be well pleased with the job you've done on that.

Setup you can deal with and the more you play it the more you'll figure out what you want.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Last night at the Woolpack in Doncaster. Good shot of Son of Gobshite. :smiles:
woolpack.jpg
muttley

Post by muttley »

Nice one Bubba. Hows that guitar playing now? Settled in yet? Hows the pup?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Cool Bubba. I see what you mean about the output jack location. You just need a 90-deg cable.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:31 am Cool Bubba. I see what you mean about the output jack location. You just need a 90-deg cable.
I've just ordered a 90-90 cable with Neutrik plugs and Van Damme pro cable. I need a 90deg on my FX pedal too, otherwise Kel stamps on long jacks by accident and damages them :facepalm2: . It does sound excellent, though.

I played last night with musicians' earplugs for the first time. It wasn't bad, but it's harder to get involved with the music when it's quieter. I think I need to be proactive with hearing protection. Too many guys my age have tinnitus. :frown:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:50 am

I've just ordered a 90-90 cable with Neutrik plugs and Van Damme pro cable. I need a 90deg on my FX pedal too, otherwise Kel stamps on long jacks by accident and damages them :facepalm2: . It does sound excellent, though.

I played last night with musicians' earplugs for the first time. It wasn't bad, but it's harder to get involved with the music when it's quieter. I think I need to be proactive with hearing protection. Too many guys my age have tinnitus. :frown:
When on drums, I play every show, every practice, every time with ear plugs. Almost every "career" live drummer I know is fucking deaf as shit.

I don't always use them when on guitar. It depends on the venue and monitoring....which always sucks because soundmen suck. I'm about 50/50 earplugs or not on guitar.

I actually prefer earplugs though. You get used to it, and now I like it better. Earplugs cut the harsh wash of high end racket from a live band and for me I actually feel like I hear things better with a little filtering going on my head. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 11:10 am

I actually prefer earplugs though. You get used to it, and now I like it better. Earplugs cut the harsh wash of high end racket from a live band and for me I actually feel like I hear things better with a little filtering going on my head. :coolstorybro:
I also felt like I could hear things a little better, especially my own backing vocals. There's a kind of isolation where you can hear your own "head voice" in addition to the monitors and it's easier to stay in tune. I compromised by not having the plugs wedged in tightly and that worked well for me. I played one song near the end without them in and I have to say the attenuation was a lot, but the sound quality was good. There was still a good amount of high end getting through. You have to be strict with yourself, though, and not fiddle with the amp to get more "cut". I suppose that's one benefit of being really used to your gear. :coolstorybro:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 12:12 pm

I also felt like I could hear things a little better, especially my own backing vocals. There's a kind of isolation where you can hear your own "head voice" in addition to the monitors and it's easier to stay in tune. I compromised by not having the plugs wedged in tightly and that worked well for me. I played one song near the end without them in and I have to say the attenuation was a lot, but the sound quality was good. There was still a good amount of high end getting through. You have to be strict with yourself, though, and not fiddle with the amp to get more "cut". I suppose that's one benefit of being really used to your gear. :coolstorybro:
Yup. Soundcheck with no earplugs, then trust that you're fine when you have them in. You'll get used to it enough that you can even tweak through the earplugs if necessary.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I dream of gigs where there's a decent soundcheck instead of a one minute quicky and lots of feedback to mix guy during the first set.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Armistice wrote: Thu May 25, 2017 6:38 am I dream of gigs where there's a decent soundcheck instead of a one minute quicky and lots of feedback to mix guy during the first set.
That kind of describes last Sunday's gig supporting XSLF (one of the two currently touring Stiff Little Fingers lineups). All the earlier bands had been using an absolutely appalling drum kit - the front head was bust though, the kit was prevented from sliding with breeze blocks and it sounded weak as fuck, even through the PA. The bass amp that was provided was a shit thing the size of a Roland Cube, so we used our own bass amp and drum kit. In one way this was a great idea, because out front the sound pissed all over the earlier bands. On the other hand, the onstage sound was a nightmare because the pissy little bass amp and the shitty drum kit were coming through the monitors. This meant that I couldn't hear anything but drums and bass through the first few songs because our pro gear was too loud. :lollers2:

Here's Jim Riley of XSLF (drummer on the second Stiff Little Fingers album) playing our drums. :smiles:

Jim.jpg