Band practice?

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
liv_rong

Band practice?

Post by liv_rong »

Can I talk about that here? I didnt know where else to put it. Anyways, we are playing in our hometown in a couple weeks so we decided to cover a song from a band that got semi popular in the 90's around here who is also from this town and most of us know each other. This is the song, give it a listen and compare theirs and ours(dropbox link). Easy song but super fun to play, more punkish I guess than our other stuff. Im not used to bashing my cymbals around like this and broke 3 sticks at practice yesterday just from this song lol. Im not playing it verbatim but its pretty close, Im adding stuff in places and playing less in others, I cant learn others people shit well.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHTcr-3jzI[/BBvideo]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d249gqusywhet ... M.mov?dl=0
Greg_L

Re: Band practice?

Post by Greg_L »

Sounds close enough to me. Yall's guitars need more dirt.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Thanks, I agree on the guitar side of things.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah, practice stuff should go here I think.

I think ya'll sound pretty good ..... I agree with greg ... dirty it up a bit.
But ya'll are sounding pretty good man.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

One band I was in (wait for it) played every gig in the basement.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

A small section from the middle of some new stuff we are working on. A little rough yet but Im digging where its going.

Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

nice to hear the progress .... very cool!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Here's some of my own band practice. Recorded on an iphone. Me on drums in a hot-ass garage bashing away with my band working on a new song.
ccuntitled.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:57 am Here's some of my own band practice. Recorded on an iphone. Me on drums in a hot-ass garage bashing away with my band working on a new song.

ccuntitled.mp3
That's a badass rock diddy!
rayc

Post by rayc »

You can tell I'm of a "certain" age when long, long shorts with socks pulled up make me laugh. It was bad enough as a kid with Bermuda shorts and long socks. Rehearsal recordings are important stuff - a better look into a band without a crowd. Well done all.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm looking at starting a new band now that I have a bunch of songs finished... I'm kind of dreading it. The last band I was in was all professional musicians (except me) and even some of them forgot that you need to practice in your own time so you can rehearse at rehearsals.

I don't mind playing gigs to 2/3 empty pubs, its the spending months trying to get people who don't give a shit to not fuck up simple songs that bothers me... I'm meeting up with a bassist later to make a start - I figured it was best to start with the bassist as some of my basslines are quite complex and the bassist is most likely to be retarded.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:35 am I'm looking at starting a new band now that I have a bunch of songs finished... I'm kind of dreading it. The last band I was in was all professional musicians (except me) and even some of them forgot that you need to practice in your own time so you can rehearse at rehearsals.

I don't mind playing gigs to 2/3 empty pubs, its the spending months trying to get people who don't give a shit to not fuck up simple songs that bothers me... I'm meeting up with a bassist later to make a start - I figured it was best to start with the bassist as some of my basslines are quite complex and the bassist is most likely to be retarded.
Good luck with that. You better be willing to compromise. Most nobodies don't want to take direction and orders from another nobody unless you're paying them to just be your backing band. You'd be better off starting a band from scratch and writing songs as a unit and then start filtering in your own songs.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:57 am Here's some of my own band practice. Recorded on an iphone. Me on drums in a hot-ass garage bashing away with my band working on a new song.

ccuntitled.mp3
Greg...what's the slowest BPM song you guys do...or that you've ever recorded (not counting the Xmas novelty stuff you do)...?

:P

I get the feeling that you have like BMP threshold you never go below. :biggrin:

Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:09 am Good luck with that. You better be willing to compromise. Most nobodies don't want to take direction and orders from another nobody unless you're paying them to just be your backing band. You'd be better off starting a band from scratch and writing songs as a unit and then start filtering in your own songs.

It's hard enough finding common ground and interests within a basic cover band...but when it comes to originals it's even worse considering that almost everyone is doing some kind home rec/songwriting thing, and so everyone wants to focus on their stuff.

I think the best approach for an original band is to start by finding one, maybe two people who you can connect with and form the core of a band....then after you have a lot of stuff written and worked out, you add the other members with who are then knowingly coming into a fairly established situation.
Otherwise, yeah...the other way is to get the band and then you all start writing together from scratch.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Greg...what's the slowest BPM song you guys do...or that you've ever recorded (not counting the Xmas novelty stuff you do)...?

:P

I get the feeling that you have like BMP threshold you never go below. :biggrin:
Hmm, I really don't know. I don't count beats like most people do. Rami tried to explain it to me one time, but I don't get it. I usually make a live scratch track and then tap the metronome to match it. Whatever that ends up being is what it is. Then I re-track to that. My most common range is somewhere around the upper 100s to lower 200s or something. Like maybe I'll land on 190. Is it actually 190? I don't know. It could be 95 and I play it double-time. Maybe it's 380 and I'm playing half-time. I have no idea. :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:59 pm Is it actually 190? I don't know. It could be 95 and I play it double-time. Maybe it's 380 and I'm playing half-time. I have no idea. :facepalm:
:lollers2:

I dont know how any of that shit really works either but IDGAF. If Im playing something slower Ill double the bpm so its easier to keep track/on time of where Im at. Another thing I recently did was I had a song that started at a weird place in the measure and I couldnt figure out where to start on the click so to make it easier I just removed the accents lol. Ive since started just doing that for songs that change time sigs as well, makes it quicker than mapping it all out. Fuck it, Im no pro.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Here's a couple of our new ones. Still a lot of bugs to work out but we're getting there. Taken from a practice, no vocals yet, still working out how to play this stuff. Both short little tunes with a bunch of changes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.