My first show

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
liv_rong

My first show

Post by liv_rong »

Ive been a bedroom player for most of my musical journey with one exception being a house drummer for an open mic in a college town many years ago in my early 20's. So I was asked to join this band and I dug the music so joined up, we practiced for a few months and had our first show a couple weeks back. The band had been playing for over a year already when I joined up but the drummer got moved over to 2nd guitar so he had to write new parts for everything. The other guitar player I had been writing/jamming with for a few months and we had a few songs too. Anyways, on to the show which wasnt very good. First of all leading up my nerves where getting to me but surprisingly day of wasnt bad at all. Then the first song started and I fumbled the lead in fill. Fuck. Then I dropped a stick but had a quick recovery luckily. By the second song I was settling a little bit and getting more comfortable. The set flew by and I dont remember much of it. The 2nd guitar player spent a lot of time tuning between songs so our set went a little late and the sound guy was pissed because I guess he told us "one more song" at some point and we did two, we never heard him say that :lollers: Also the main guitar was very low in the mix based on the video. We werent tight enough either, and it was my fault.

Here is a video we recorded from one practice, minus the 2nd guitar:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNjHM3ZZYoI[/BBvideo]

And from the show:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXeZCsu1ar4[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woJC1W_KYMY[/BBvideo]
Lt. Bob

Re: My first show

Post by Lt. Bob »

dude .... that's not bad for a first show.

Welcome to the world of gigging ..... you know what I love about it even after all these years?
It's do or die ..... no starting over ..... no comping solos ..... no re-dos.
And when you sound good it's the real deal .... you actually sound good ..... no tricks to help you.

As for your band ....... I set here and listened for the horror you described and it's not there ...... it sounds decent man ..... and I hear the crowd liking it so THEY didn't think you weren't tight. You'd be surprised how the things that bothered you weren't even noticeable to them.

Really ..... ya'll sound alright ..... couldn't hear the vox very well .....
Congrats ...... I look forward to watching and hearing ya'll grow and progress ..... welcome to live music ...... don't come take any of my gigs or I'll cut ya'!

:D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

No too bad. Congrats on your first show. I think you and the bass player need to ditch those other two. You're a very good drummer and the bassist is solid. The other two suck. I can just tell. Lol.

I get that homeboy on the left was trying to coax feedback from his amp, but he needs to do better. Having your back to the crowd the whole fucking time is lame. Tell him Greg said to step his fucking game up.

Like Boob says, no one there notices your fuckups. No one. Unless you have a following that actually knows your songs, there's no way anyone can tell if you played a beat wrong or whatever. I promise you that. Don't worry about it.
Rebel Yell
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Congrats on your getting out there and gigging. It's an adrenaline rush for sure. Mistakes are amplified 100 times because like the others say, there's no redos. You have to get past that and just enjoy the rush. The performance is pretty decent, keep gigging and soon the whole thing will become second nature.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.