used my paul tonight

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
Lt. Bob

used my paul tonight

Post by Lt. Bob »

Some of ya'll know I have a custom git that's my primary ax.
In fact ....... I pretty much haven't used anything else for years.

So I decided tomight that for the next month or two I'm gonna pull out ALL my gits and gig them.

Tonight it was my Epi Zack Wilde paul.

Now for those that don't know I've attached a pic of the Stinnett.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lt. Bob

Re: used my paul tonight

Post by Lt. Bob »

So nothing could be more different than a paul ... the Stinnett is a 24 fret shred machine with extremely versatile p-rail p'ups.

The paul is a Zak Wilde paul ..... it was a Christmas gift from wifey about 12 years ago and though it's an Epi .... it's a high-end Epi ...... thick fat 'bucker sound.
Sounds great .... but very different than what I'm usually using.

It's heavy, of course, and the edges of that body are sharp and cut into you .... no soft curves there .... a mans guitar .... super solid feeling.
A guitar you have to impose your will on.

And if you play up high you have to reach around and over that huge body that's blocking access to the upper frets. It's a strange thing to have to do .... almost like an upright bass player reaching up and over the bass to play those high notes.

I did miss the upper access of the Stinnett and I really miss those extra few frets ..... there were several songs tonight that i really needed them.
I was a little surprised at how often I found myself reaching for them
It actually made me play quite a bit differently which is cool .... get out of any ruts .... .... the different sound also affected how I was inspired to play.

By the end of the night I was feeling pretty comfortable with it ..... I'm kinda thinking I'll use it for a few gigs ...... I'm even considering putting some pickups in it if I like it enough.
Maybe some Lollar P-90s or perhaps the wide-range.

Got several compliments on the look too. It looks a LOT better in person than you'd think. I remember the first time we saw it in person, .... we'd actually laughed at the pictures but in person it's quite striking.

Anyways ..... adjusting to a way different guitar is a trip ....... gonna keep it up for a bit
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Cool Boob! There is something about a Les Paul. It took me a long time to get it. Now I can't live without one. Or two.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol ...... for the right gig I get it ..... ...... there's a solidity to it that's you can't miss.
It's powerful and forceful in ways nothing else is.
Ergonomically it's a disaster and I wasn't kidding ... you have to force it to bend to your will ..... always gonna be like that Chow you raised from a puppy .... he seems to love ya' but you're never quite sure he's not gonna eat your face off!
Almost a feeling of danger ..... and things that were effortless on the Stinnett made me smile with pride when i pulled them off on the paul ....... lol
And it's already my first choice in the studio for rhythm stuff .... it's just so rock solid and stable .... I would never sell it although I do think I might find some more proper pual p'ups for it.

live, of course, I have to do more than rhythm

I miss the stainless steel frets and the upper access of the Stinnett but I'm sticking with it for a couple weeks ...... then I'll grab something else.