Analog vs. Digital: How Does it Actually Impact Recording?

General recording topics.
miroslav

Analog vs. Digital: How Does it Actually Impact Recording?

Post by miroslav »

I ran across this well written article on Reverb.com, and I thought it would a great first thread for this forum.
It's not meant in any way to ignite any analog VS digital wars, but takes a realistic look at the differences, both good and bad, of each format, and it also goes a bit deeper into describing to analog/tape newbs what "tape sound" is really about, and where it comes from as there certainly are many misconceptions about that.
A good read overall.

https://reverb.com/news/analog-vs-digit ... -recording

At the end of that article, there is a link to another good article about plugins VS hardware...so I thought I would include that too.

https://reverb.com/news/plugins-vs-hard ... ing-debate

Again these are not intended to provide any right/wrong answers...but rather food for thought about both choices.
Roman

Re: Analog vs. Digital: How Does it Actually Impact Recordin

Post by Roman »

I thought you were asking the question.
I'll read the article. I like reading stuff like that.

But to answer the question, the biggest impact on recording for me is workflow and decision making.

With unlimited digital tracks, you don't have to be decisive. With limited tracks of tape it forces you to work differently.

Which is better? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

There was one little paragraph in all of that that I totally get on board with - self-imposing analog techniques and limitations in a digital world. I do this. I don't care about tape sound or warmth or any of that crap. I do care about the process of recording music, real performances, real instruments, and I do it as one would going to tape. I do care about committing to a sound and using solid techniques and fundamentals to capture that sound.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

Good man!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote:There was one little paragraph in all of that that I totally get on board with - self-imposing analog techniques and limitations in a digital world. I do this. I don't care about tape sound or warmth or any of that crap. I do care about the process of recording music, real performances, real instruments, and I do it as one would going to tape. I do care about committing to a sound and using solid techniques and fundamentals to capture that sound.
I also do this... But then I also use EZ Drummee.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

For me, the big takeaway is that there's a middle ground between both formats...which is that way I like to fly anyway.
Each have their good and bad points...but depending on how you like to work both can give you what you want.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Roman wrote:Good man!
Who the fuck is this guy "Roman"...and who let him in?

:D

Hey...did you hear the one about the happy Roman?
He was gladiator. :P
Roman

Post by Roman »

I snuck in through the back door. Security was sleeping.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Roman wrote:I snuck in through the back door. Security was sleeping.
With the groupies...where are they? :)
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote:
Greg_L wrote:There was one little paragraph in all of that that I totally get on board with - self-imposing analog techniques and limitations in a digital world. I do this. I don't care about tape sound or warmth or any of that crap. I do care about the process of recording music, real performances, real instruments, and I do it as one would going to tape. I do care about committing to a sound and using solid techniques and fundamentals to capture that sound.
I also do this... But then I also use EZ Drummee.
No Shame. I do this too. Amen friend.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

My actual recorder is a digital unit (several of them in fact .... Fostex D1624s ) but they aren't hooked to a puter and my path is totally analog and all hardware fxs.

So it's the same as it's been for 45 years of recording for me other than not having tape as the media.

I'm confortable with the process as I've done it that way for a long time but also, I own everything.

I'm one that claims to hear a difference between analog and redbook CDs and NOT because they were mastered differently .... I hear a difference when I record something to a CD.

But I don't hear a difference when using h 24/96.

If I lost all my gear I'd certainly go modern but as it is, I get good results so I don't care.

I'm also still a vinyl guy.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote:I'm also still a vinyl guy.
Good plan.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have 6000+ ..... I have a seriously fun collection .... takes up a lot of room though. When I moved to Florida I had 51 boxes of albums!
rayc

Re: Analog vs. Digital: How Does it Actually Impact Recording?

Post by rayc »

6000 LPs. Does that make you a collector or hoarder? I had made a comment on another place that, although I have a couple of thousand LPs and a few more than that CDs, I'm not a collector because I don't buy unless I know or think I'll like it and not a hoarder because I endeavour to play the things as well as can walk passed a pile of junk LPs without regret or speculation.
I still have my analogue gear - cassette 4 track and plenty of tapes as well as a reel player/recorder and I did use the 4 track machine to record the basic tracks for Listen Like Brian BUT digital is sooo much easier and if I follow the ideas outlined by Greg, I feel good about what I do.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Re: Analog vs. Digital: How Does it Actually Impact Recording?

Post by Lt. Bob »

A reasonable question ... first off, there's no music I don't like ..... it's all music.
I have preferences but there's nothing that I really really hate.
I buy stuff I like a lot but I also buy stuff that just looks interesting

I would consider myself a collector.
I have them all alphabetized .... got everything written down in a catalog so I know where everything is, which pressing it is ... the condition of it, the stamper #'s .... that sort of thing. I have that info for all 6000 records ......
I have 53 different BB King records!

BTW ..... my collection is prolly worth 100 grand or so. I have some quite valuable records ....

I have 15 guitars ...... is that hoarding?
Maybe but I don't think so ..... it's what I do and music in all its forms has been the only focal point of my entire life up till now.
Did my first weekend gigs 53 years ago and went full-time 46 years ago so it's prolly not just a passing phase.

..... also, my record collection is a great resource for a working musician

For that matter, I have a huge collection of fake books .... prolly around 75 of them .
These are the real deal, ... many years ago a guy came thru BR selling fake books out of the trunk of his car.
The real, illegal, self printed fake books.
I bought one of everything he had every year he came thru.

You guys are sorta obsessed with music ...... but only sorta .... :D

I'm the real thing .... crazy as a loon ..... someone who basically does nothing but music ..... as a hobby .... as a profession .... hell, for recreation.
I can do 6 gigs in a week and then on my night off, go out to play with friends' band.

My buddy Reuben says I'm insane.
Someone asked wifey is I play music around the house any .... she said her reply was , "Steve IS music".
Always been a bit proud of that one.

Hey! ..... maybe I don't love music ..... maybe it's just OCD!