For $1.9 mil...it could have been yours!

General recording topics.
miroslav

For $1.9 mil...it could have been yours!

Post by miroslav »

One of THE most famous recording consoles ever made or used....

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business ... lion/47259
Minerman

Re: For $1.9 mil...it could have been yours!

Post by Minerman »

miroslav wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:12 pm One of THE most famous recording consoles ever made or used....

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business ... lion/47259
I saw that late last night dude, & instantly thought about you...Holy fuck that's a lot of $$$ for a console...I hope whoever bought it puts it to use instead of putting it in a museum somewhere, the article says the console is still in perfect working order, it'd be a shame to just lock it away somewhere...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I was thinking the same thing when I read "anonymous buyer"...I thought it's just someone with money to burn who is trying to buy some history, and the console will sit in some room with other expensive collectibles, and that's it...or purchased by someone who kinda piddles with music, like some of these sports figures or Hollywood types...so they have a personal studio, but one that gets little use..

...but it might end up going into some serious studio where it will get put to lots of use, but TBH, I'm not sure any commercial studio would sink $1.8 mil on a console, even with the history, because you could buy a variety of high-end, modern consoles that probably can do everything that console does, and more for like $200k-$300k...so $1.8 mil would be a lot extra to spend just for the historic "mojo". ...which is why I think it's just a collector.
It's probably heading to Dubai...:D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm pretty skeptical that that console holds any significant "magic" besides just being old and having had famous shit run through it. I tend to believe that Dark Side of the Moon would still be what it is had it been done through some other massive ancient console.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

It's true the console probably isn't anything "special" other than having lots of famous recordings done on it, but it's cool in a way that it's still functional after all these years...

One could always imagine it being put to use like Dave Grohl did with the Neve that came from Sound City, but not likely IMO, which is a shame in a way...On the other hand, just shows how far recording has came, we now have the ability to do in our home what was once almost unimaginable...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Here's some good info on these TG consoles.. http://www.musictech.net/2014/07/emi-tg12345/

By modern standards they seem more crude and limited...but they were the state of the art at the time, and much of what they had has been adopted in many consoles that followed.
I think with these...if there was any one aspect that had some "magic" ...it's probably the EQs.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Wouldn't the console at Sun Studios or the console in Abbey Road be more interesting in terms of having a "sound" - particularly the Sun Studios one - given the limited and ancient gear related to it?
Cheers
rayc
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Well...this EMI console came out of Abbey Road...went to another studio in the mid '80s.
AFA the Sun Studios console, and others from that '50s era...mmm...they were real basic, mono consoles...and while they had a "sound", it's not what is considered "the" sound from the golden age of analog recording, which is really during the '70s and into the '80s.
By the mid-'80s, digital was already creeping into the pro studios.

Oh...speaking of classic studios and gear...here's a nice little article talking about legendary studios brought back to life...

https://reverb.com/news/muscle-shoals-r ... ry-studios
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Time for another thread miro...

A month without a post = death. People will come here and think... "hmmm, nothing happening here..." and bugger off.

Tell us how you invented magnetic tape again. I love that story... :biggrin: