Boston

General recording topics.
Roman

Boston

Post by Roman »

I know there are those who will scoff at the very mention of the band. That's cool, this doesn't have to be for you.

But.....a good unbiased listen may unearth some gems for the naysayers. :D

There! That's my preemptive response.

For all others, wow!

I had a good listen to the debut album, and even after all these years it amazes me how good this record sounds.

I remember when it first came out it blew people's minds, but to this day it still stands as a recording masterpiece.

The writing, the production, performances, recording and mixing are all outstanding. Everything has it's own space, and it's brilliant in it's arrangements.

And it was all done to tape. :coolstorybro:

I only wish I could do an album that sounds that good.
ido1957

Re: Boston

Post by ido1957 »

I've always liked Boston, but I tired of them after a while probably just bored with the same-ish sound. Or, I like to move on to the "next" big thing (I'm a typical radio rat). But back to the albums - they were groundbreaking IMHO with the new take on OD guitars, they were catchy songs and the singing was, well, incredible.
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

The first Boston album is kick ass. I still have my Rockman Soloist and Distortion generator.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Just as with Led Zeppelin, I got totally sick of Boston. Having great radio friendly songs, well crafted is a blessing AND a curse to a band. It gets played so damn much you get sick of it and can't stand to listen to it. It happened to me with the Zep, not only with the steady rotation, but with this stupid show called "Get The Led Out". My God! an hour every day will kill it for anyone.

However, this is the fault of the " Radio Industrial Complex" not the artist.

Once you get away from that and have some recovery time, you can go back and listen with fresh ears.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Roman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:01 pm It happened to me with the Zep, not only with the steady rotation, but with this stupid show called "Get The Led Out". My God! an hour every day will kill it for anyone.
One of the Chicago stations had that show on at 8:00 PM every night if I remember correctly. I think it was WLUP "the Loop".
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I like their first album, that's it. I remember getting a Rockman. I still love the clean sound on a Rockman. I saw them live, but Edgar Winter (with Rick Derringer) opened for them, and blew them so far away they never came back. :D

They were unique, as much as they were pretty standard corporate rock. The acoustic first chorus on "Long TIme", and then the same chorus with a heavy electric on the last chorus was a sort of "new" thing at the time. They had a lot of arrangement ideas that still stand out as original for me. Dude had a great voice. Drummer had an afro. What more can you ask for? :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I had to look them up. I know tons of Boston songs! Lol. I didn't know all those famous songs are Boston. They're just generic classic rock to me. Great pickslide in More Than a Feeling!

I do like that Rockman guitar tone.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

Keep in mind they weren't generic or classic rock when that record came out. It was quite new at the time.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Roman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:36 pm Keep in mind they weren't generic or classic rock when that record came out. It was quite new at the time.
No I know. They were just rock. I aint slagging them off. But they're classic rock to me because I was like 1 when that record came out. :tongue:
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

Lol :D
Roman

Post by Roman »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:02 pm I like their first album, that's it. I remember getting a Rockman. I still love the clean sound on a Rockman. I saw them live, but Edgar Winter (with Rick Derringer) opened for them, and blew them so far away they never came back. :D

They were unique, as much as they were pretty standard corporate rock. The acoustic first chorus on "Long TIme", and then the same chorus with a heavy electric on the last chorus was a sort of "new" thing at the time. They had a lot of arrangement ideas that still stand out as original for me. Dude had a great voice. Drummer had an afro. What more can you ask for? :D
The Winter boys are a tough act for anyone to follow. Besides, pairing up Boston with Edgar Winter? A stupid choice, wildly different acts with different audience appeal.
That's almost as bad as pairing up Jimi Hendrix with the Monkees

As to Boston and the recordings, in some ways Tom Sholtz was a modern day Les Paul with his meticulous approach to multitrack recording.

He made a bunch of the gear for the recording process also.

Brilliant.
Did a highly sucessful debut record and then comes out with the Rockman line so guitarists could get that sound.

Pretty good businessman if you ask me.
Last edited by Roman on Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Roman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:55 pm Brilliant.
Did a highly sucessful debut record and then comes out with the Rockman line so guitarists could get that sound.

Pretty good businessman if you ask me.
That IS genius. :coolstorybro: :guru:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tom Scholz is a smart, smart dude.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, he also invented the first amp attenuator. Not that there's much to one, but he did invent it as far as I know.
Rebel Yell
Roman

Post by Roman »

Yup, or at least the first one to invent AND take credit for it.

Theres probably 50 guys who did the same thing in their garage but didnt have enough juice to get the invention out.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah, he was already working at some kind of invention factory when he formed Boston. And then I think he formed "Sholtz Industries" or something like that. Isn't the "Power Soak" his?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I just did a quick Google and skimmed through a few articles. So, basically....everything I said above is completely full of shit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:18 pm Yeah, he was already working at some kind of invention factory when he formed Boston. And then I think he formed "Sholtz Industries" or something like that. Isn't the "Power Soak" his?
Yup, the Power Soak is definitely his.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Oh cool. So I wasn't totally full of shit. Just almost.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Almost full of shit just means you have to use the toilet later rather than sooner.
Thats not bad.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Unless I'm backed up. Which is why I keep my friends close and my enemas closer.