My new favorite "whoa" mix...

General recording topics.
sweetbeats

My new favorite "whoa" mix...

Post by sweetbeats »

I'm too busy most all of the time. I don't often have the opportunity to just listen to music, but my wife packed an old classic rock greatest hits double CD set with in the car...one of those ones that has a buh-jillion "hits" on it, but most of them weren't the respective band or artist's most well-known hit...a lot of filler. There are always a few bonafide chart toppers in those collections though, and better yet that hidden gem or two...the forgotten song or the never-before-heard song...

Check out "Ballroom Blitz" by a band called The Sweet for what sounds to be, at least in my wife's car and to my ears, an unbelievable mix. I know this song well...I mean, it's totally familiar, but I never really listened to it, you know? Everything...absolutely everything is in your face in this mix, not because of sound pressure, but rather clarity...I don't mean to give the impression I think loud=good...clarity helps each element have it's place of prominence in the mix. Nothing offends my ears in this mix even though the snare is really prominent and crisp, and all manner of crunchy guitar-ness...there's a lot going on but nothing is competing...I can hear everything. This is also a good example of a mix where there is no fear pushing something *way* out front (some of the vocal parts for instance)...recorded in 1973 at Audio International Studios (later AIR Studios) in London. According to this website http://www.philsbook.com/audio-international.html, a Neve 24:16 desk, and 1" 8-track and 2" 16-track Studer machines were installed at the time. I'm convinced so much of the clarity and awesomeness of great sounding music of the analog era is related to the analog front end and summing through a really good desk. What makes it a "good" desk is a tiresome debate...I don't want to go there...but there are definite patterns of music that sounds great to my ears that came out of select studios. Yes, yes, yes the talent first, then the instruments themselves and then mics and mic placement...these things are critical...but a so-so signal path during tracking, overdubbing and mixing will quench all the greatness of the source(s)...I think a great analog front end does two things:

1. Minimizes truncation of the source(s) particularly concerning bandwidth and dynamics, and;

2. Sonically enhances tasty facets of the source(s)...when the sonic signature of the signal path is complimentary to the sonic signature of the source(s)

It's magical. And I believe there truly is a get-what-you-paid-for factor here...the budget piece of gear will have a harder time minimizing sonic truncation and affording sonic enhancement.

Anyway, check out "Ballroom Blitz". I think it sounds amazing...and I respect if you disagree, but will likely not be able to hear you when I turn up the volume. :biggrin:
rammer24

Re: My new favorite "whoa" mix...

Post by rammer24 »

I recorded a cover of "Ballroom Blitz" a few months ago, so I did a lot of listening. It really is an awesome sounding tune. They're generally an under-rated band in general. They got thrown into the whole "Glam rock" catagory, and it's easy to watch a video of theirs and sort of laugh at the look while not noticing how great they played and sounded. I think they were extremely talented and well produced.
rayc

Post by rayc »

They were quite big Downunder - a string of hits from the Chinn & Chapman (writer/producers) and Phil Wainman (producer) stable, (a bit Stock, Aitken & Waterman of their era - though produced fewer robot backing songs as they used the bands where possible, (The Sweet, Mud, Suzi Quatro, Smokie, Racey, etc). A LOT of that sound is the sound of the production team. They even worked with Blondie &, err, Pat Benatar.
Good gear, good ears and catchy songs
Brief overview of C&C
The band WANTED to be HEAVY (check out their B Sides not bad hard rock) and railed against being so POPular for Chinn & Chapman hits
As i said: Good ears, good gear & catchy songs.
Cheers
rayc
Roman

Post by Roman »

It was indeed a great mix. Quite the catchy song as well.
You hear it once, and it's memorable.
sweetbeats

Post by sweetbeats »

Great background info.

Cheap Trick has some stuff that reminds me of this too.

Great background info, rayc. Thanks.