Favorite piece of analog gear...

General recording topics.
miroslav

Favorite piece of analog gear...

Post by miroslav »

We all use mics and preamps and speakers even if only working in a DAW environment, as those are analog devices that still needed for the capture and reproduction of sound...but many people use other analog devices too. DAW-based users occasionally like to add some real analog flavor, instead of just opting for a plugin emulated solution...and then there's the guys who have more involved analog rigs.

So I was curious what new or vintage pieces of analog hardware people tend to reach for more often, either as a supplement to their DAWs or as their staple tools in their analog studios?

I guess for me, the main item would certainly be my 2" tape deck, as it almost always gets used for tracking, before going to DAW.
I'm not going to say it's purely for the "magic" of the tape sound...:D...though the tape certainly does affect the sound. I probably use it as much for the feel and comfort of the tape tracking process as for any flavor it adds. It's the years of tape tracking that have been burned into my memory, so the flow of tracking is smooth and I'm very familiar with how things are supposed to connect and sound, and what I'm seeing when I look at the meters, and also how it then interfaces with my console for the cue mix and playback.
It's like an well worn jacket...the one you grab the most when going out. You know how it fits you, how it looks, how it feels...everything about it is comfortable.

Other than that...I've got an old AD&R broadcast limiter that just seems to always sound good on things...mostly though if I use it, it's on vocals at the front end, when there's a lot of dynamics, and level changes, it's great for taming the peaks without any noticeable limiting/compression in the output. It very audio friendly.
Lt. Bob

Re: Favorite piece of analog gear...

Post by Lt. Bob »

well .... I have a 3340 and a 2340 that both still work after a zillion years so I guess it's them!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My favorite bits of analog gear are the instruments themselves.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

miroslav wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:04 pm We all use mics and preamps and speakers even if only working in a DAW environment, as those are analog devices that still needed for the capture and reproduction of sound...but many people use other analog devices too. DAW-based users occasionally like to add some real analog flavor, instead of just opting for a plugin emulated solution...and then there's the guys who have more involved analog rigs.

So I was curious what new or vintage pieces of analog hardware people tend to reach for more often, either as a supplement to their DAWs or as their staple tools in their analog studios?

I guess for me, the main item would certainly be my 2" tape deck, as it almost always gets used for tracking, before going to DAW.
I'm not going to say it's purely for the "magic" of the tape sound...:D...though the tape certainly does affect the sound. I probably use it as much for the feel and comfort of the tape tracking process as for any flavor it adds. It's the years of tape tracking that have been burned into my memory, so the flow of tracking is smooth and I'm very familiar with how things are supposed to connect and sound, and what I'm seeing when I look at the meters, and also how it then interfaces with my console for the cue mix and playback.
It's like an well worn jacket...the one you grab the most when going out. You know how it fits you, how it looks, how it feels...everything about it is comfortable.

Other than that...I've got an old AD&R broadcast limiter that just seems to always sound good on things...mostly though if I use it, it's on vocals at the front end, when there's a lot of dynamics, and level changes, it's great for taming the peaks without any noticeable limiting/compression in the output. It very audio friendly.
Coming from someone that grew up only listening to analog stuff but having no experience with hands on analog recording it would be kind of cool to hear you show case something simple, like a 25 30 second jingle or something of something tracked how you have outlined here, and then the exact same thing tracked completely digital.

I think it would be a cool experiment for another topic. I don't mean write a long winded sonnet, that takes months to produce and mix but just something audible to hear what you hear. Maybe another thread idea?

mics are as analog as i get and if i had to pick a favorite one i'd say it is My Blue Spark Condensor. It just makes everything sound pretty.

Also my newerish Taylor Acoustic. Man, that things plays and sounds like a friggin dream.
:happytrees:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:42 pm My favorite bits of analog gear are the instruments themselves.
Yes...absolutely....pretty much everything we play starts out analog. :)
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:43 pm Coming from someone that grew up only listening to analog stuff but having no experience with hands on analog recording it would be kind of cool to hear you show case something simple, like a 25 30 second jingle or something of something tracked how you have outlined here, and then the exact same thing tracked completely digital.
Mmmm...OK...but it's really not about any comparison or differences between analog or digital.
I mean...it's not like I was saying that I prefer the real analog compressor XYZ over the emulated plugin of compressor XYS...etc.
In that case, yeah, it would make sense to demo both and them have an A/B comparison.

I was just looking to hear what bits of analog gear people have used regularly...regardless if their overall recording is to a DAW or a tape deck.
No different than someone asking, what's your favorite go-to digital plugs.
I'm not trying to compare the two formats...just wondering who else uses anything analog besides mics/pres/speakers...and of course, instruments.
:)
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

LA610 MKII :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I had my eye on the UA pres for a long time and really wanted to get a 2-610...and then I just got sidetracked into other stuff, plus their prices really shot up from the initial offerings.

Is that your main pre...?..or do you use it only for some things since they're supposedly on the thick/colored side, but in a good way. :cool:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

ido1957 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:51 pmLA610 MKII :)
Ooh, nice!

I really only have 4 pieces of outboard analog gear, unless you count pedals, amps, instruments, etc. A BAE 1073 that is great, a pair of EL-8 Distressors that are also great, and an ART Pro VLA II that is seriously good bang for the buck. Just about every track I record goes through at least one of those things. In the hands of a better engineer, I bet they could sound amazing. But for me, they're just great "better-izers" for everything.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 am
ido1957 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:51 pmLA610 MKII :)
Ooh, nice!

I really only have 4 pieces of outboard analog gear, unless you count pedals, amps, instruments, etc. A BAE 1073 that is great, a pair of EL-8 Distressors that are also great, and an ART Pro VLA II that is seriously good bang for the buck. Just about every track I record goes through at least one of those things. In the hands of a better engineer, I bet they could sound amazing. But for me, they're just great "better-izers" for everything.
I'd like to try out that BAE 1073 - I've read some very positive things about it on several web sites including their own of course. :coolstorybro:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
sweetbeats

Post by sweetbeats »

I think mine would have to be my 80s vintage prototype Tascam mixer for a couple of reasons:

1. We've been through hell together getting it from inoperable POS status to nearly awesome status, so it feels like an old friend...it's fun to use and sounds and looks great, and...

2. For me the mixing console is the most important device in the studio. Depending on how you have things wired up, absolutely everything goes through the console...it is the command center...fingertip access to all your devices and sources.

So the mixing console is my fav bit of analog kit, and my proto console is my fav mixing console.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Im with you, my console is my favorite piece. It adds a wonderful flavor even to protools, and running guitars and bass direct into it doesn't sound "DI" but like I'm using an amp. A solid stae amp, but an amp nontheless.
:D
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I was also going to mention my upgraded Trident console...but TBH, considering how most of the home rec crowd is working ITB, especially for mixing, and the majority of their analog gear would be front end stuff...I figured mentioned a console wouldn't really hit home for many.
sweetbeats

Post by sweetbeats »

I don't care what hits home for anybody else. :D

miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Valid point.
There's no diplomacy in studio trenches. :D
Roman

Post by Roman »

Besides, this IS the analog section of the forum. And that desk certainly looks a bit like an analog piece of gear.
:D
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Speaking of consoles...and specifically about the wood trim.
I'm looking for some tips from the woodworking pros here...on how best to remove the layer of clear finish so the wood can be stained and then a new clear finish applied.

I saw a Trident 80b where someone had refinished the wood with a rich cherry stain, and furniture grade gloss....and since then, I've been looking at my Trident and consider something similar, but not a cherry color...I was thinking more along the lines of a deep honey color.

Right now, the wood is more of a natural, light blonde color. There's probably some kind of stain on it, but I think it's mostly the natural, pale color of the wood, with a stain finish...some kind of poly coat.
So I know before I could stain it, I would have to get all the clear coat off, whatever it is. I don't expect it's a real heavy coat, but I'm not crazy about sanding it off, because I wouldn't want to lose any of the wood trying to remove all the clear coat.
I dunno...maybe it would come of easy and not touch the wood all that much...but I was wondering if that's the best option, or some kind of chems?

It's just an idea at this point...I probably wouldn't even attempt it until the summer, when I can take off all the wood pieces and do that work outside...sanding or chems...and then the staining and a new clear coat.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Aircraft stripper. That stuff is a polyester or urethane. Lacquer is easy to strip. Lacquer thinner melts it.
The stuff on your consoe is a heavier duty finish that doesn't melt so easily.

Brush it on let it sit scrape away , repeat. Once completely gone, you can start fine sanding. Clean it all up with naphtha .
sweetbeats

Post by sweetbeats »

Yeah the aircraft stripper is nice since it is a gel, clings when applied and can sit and work. Time is your friend.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Muchas gracias gents.

I figured you would have the right answers Roman...and Cory seconds it.
I agree...it's either polyester or polyurethane in a satin finish, because it holds up well to dings.
As old as it is, and considering it's been moved at least 3-4 times...there are only a few small dings on the front, armrest piece.

That aircraft stripper...is that what it's called?
Like if I go to Home Depot and say that...they will know what I want?
I know about the stains and polys.
After it's stripped...you think just a light pass with some finer paper should open the wood up nicely for stain?