Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 news

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
miroslav

Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 news

Post by miroslav »

Toontrack just announced SD3 to be released in early September.
This like like it's a monster revision of SD2...and they George Massenburg to do the drum recording and provide input for the user interface! :coolstorybro:

Check out the couple of promo videos.

https://www.toontrack.com/superior-drum ... %20Monitor

$209 for the upgrade from SD2
Minerman

Re: Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 news

Post by Minerman »

I read about this a couple days ago, but there weren't any details...I hope it lives up to the hype & expectations, because if it doesn't Toontrack is gonna tank because of the sheer number of folks that have been waiting for this...We'll see before too long I suppose...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I just saw this on my FB feed. Looks good, but I guess I'll reserve judgement until I see how much the upgrade from 2 to 3 is. Looks like some cool features and a bigger included library. It could be great if they pull it off well.
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

It's $209 to upgrade from SD2 to SD3.

There are also prices for EZD upgrades and for cross grades.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

If they're just releasing a new version I might look at upgrading from EZD finally. Although I don't do too bad with EZD I'd like a little more control.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:42 am If they're just releasing a new version I might look at upgrading from EZD finally. Although I don't do too bad with EZD I'd like a little more control.
Are you on the original EZD or on EZD 2.0 ?
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:22 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:42 am If they're just releasing a new version I might look at upgrading from EZD finally. Although I don't do too bad with EZD I'd like a little more control.
Are you on the original EZD or on EZD 2.0 ?
Not sure. I didn't get it that long ago so probably 2.0. I'll check on the weekend
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I'm gonna buy SD3 in the next few days, I already own SD2, so I'll get the upgrade discount...As much as I've spent on Toontrack stuff, they ought to just give SD3 to me...I hope I've waited long enough for their servers cool down for the download, I've read it's been a pain for some folks...

It's a hell of a download, 230 GB IIRC, so it might take a while...I've also read the install takes a really long time too, I'll probably just install the basic library to begin with...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Minerman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:04 pm It's a hell of a download, 230 GB IIRC, so it might take a while...I
jesus murphy. thats is bigger than my C: drive.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:27 pm
Minerman wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:04 pm It's a hell of a download, 230 GB IIRC, so it might take a while...I
jesus murphy. thats is bigger than my C: drive.
Lol...I'm pretty blessed with storage space dude, my OS/C: drive is 2 TB, my audio drive is 1 TB, I have 2 - 1 TB USB 3 hdd's, & a 1 TB USB 2.0...The 2 USB 3 hdd's are for storage only, so the huge download will go on one of those...

The basic install is like 40 GB (which is about twice the size of the stock SD2 Avatar library with all the bleed), the rest is room mics, about half of which are surround sound that I'll probably never use...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Just installed the basic (40 GB) library & so far I'm impressed...The gui is killer, lots of new things to tweak, along with the things SD2 already had makes this pretty damn cool IMO...

I've read about folks having trouble with the download, install, etc., but it went pretty smooth for me...Of course it took a while to download the whole 240 GB, but as far as the install, it was even faster than SD2, in fact way faster...

I know it's got the "new car smell" on it right now, & I've only just listened to a few of the new kits/samples, but again, I'm impressed...

Not sure if I'm even gonna install the other 200 GB or not, I really don't think I'd use 'em...

Again, so far SD3 is killer, not sure how it compares to SD2 with my e-kit, but so far I'm impressed...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

So the question i have that begs to be asked is:

What makes up the other 200Gb?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:46 am So the question i have that begs to be asked is:

What makes up the other 200Gb?
Extra room mics & stereo surround mics, some were recorded in 11.0 stereo surround or something like that...It'd be cool to try 'em out, but honestly from what I've used the basic library, all that extra shit isn't needed...

Of course I downloaded 'em & will keep 'em because I paid for 'em, but all that shit will most likely sit on my drum library storage drive...

The basic 40 GB install is almost twice as big as Superior 2's full Avatar (stock kit) install, which is like 25 GB will all bleed/room mics...

I haven't messed with it much, but I'm impressed with it so far, & I'll put up some clips before too much longer...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

miroslav

Post by miroslav »

This is how the 5 parts of SD3 break down:
Each section is 40-50GB...so there's your 240 GB total.
I installed Parts 1, 2 and 5 (you can do Part 5 anytime, but the others need to be in order).
I don't see that I will have much call for what is in parts 3 and 4.

1: “Basic Sound Library” (All instruments, all tools and all articulations in close mics, OH Dyn and Amb Ribbon. Bleed in Snare Bottom (Kick and toms)
2: “Room Mics 1” (The rest of the Room mics: OH Cond, Amb Near, Amb Mid).
3: “Room Mics 2 – Surround (5 ch)” (extra mics to achieve 5.0 surround, Front L/R, Center and Surround L/R)
4: “Room Mics 3 – Height Surround (6 ch)” (extra mics to achieve 11.0 surround, Front Height, Rear Height and Rear Height Wide )
5: “Additional Bleed” (The rest of the bleed in the close mics). This installation can be preformed at any time after Download 1. This allows you to install the Basic Sound Library with all Bleed and skip all other installers if desired.

Oh...if you bought SD3...they have an update already 3.02 as of today.
It fixes a lot of little shit. If you go to the Toontrack forums, there's a thread listing what's in the update.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Gotta say I'm impressed with SD3, I think they've really did a great job on everything...I'm slowly trying to replace everything else, the goal is to use only SD3...

Check it out, our forum must've had a pretty big influence on Superior 3, they've put our logo in the gui:

Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Minerman wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:29 am Gotta say I'm impressed with SD3, I think they've really did a great job on everything...I'm slowly trying to replace everything else, the goal is to use only SD3...

Check it out, our forum must've had a pretty big influence on Superior 3, they've put our logo in the gui:

LOL that's awesome. You'll have to show us how to do that. When I (inevitably) upgrade to SD3, I'll have to sneak that in for any tutorials :D
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

LOL!!! Thats cool as fuck man. In a way it really makes me want to buy it just so i can do that HAHAHA
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:17 am You'll have to show us how to do that.
Every sound pack has a graphics folder, and there is a "background" image associate with that pack, so you then see the name of the sound pack when you launch it in SD3.

You can pull that image file into any graphics editor, like Photoshop...and knock yourself out. You can change a lot more than just adding some text...just don't mess with the size/resolution of the original image, and save it back with the original name...though you might want to first save a copy of the original image file(s) in case you pooch it...(of course you can also just reinstall the sound pack and it will put the original back).

I was thinking of taking an actual picture of my studio space...and adjust it to fit the same general profile/layout of the sound pack background image...and then see how it would look with the SD3 drum kits loaded and looking like they were sitting in my studio space. :chillin