Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Post by JD01 »

Just listening to this this morning - the drumming on it is fucking great.

This just got me thinking about my favourite drum sounds.. this is my favourite drum sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in58wtVI9sI
What's yours?
Greg_L

Re: Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Post by Greg_L »

Interesting question. My favorite drum sound....I don't think I have one. Can't think of one. I like lots of them.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

The In Utero drum sound is always what I think of when I think about how I would love to be able to make drums sound. They sound like they're being hit really hard.

I was just listening to DDDDC first thing this morning when I got to the office and it just struck me how solid the drum sound is - really metronomic.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 am

I was just listening to DDDDC first thing this morning when I got to the office and it just struck me how solid the drum sound is - really metronomic.
Man that's every Phil Rudd drummed AC/DC song. Atomic clocks set themselves to Phil Rudd.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:06 am
JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:57 am

Man that's every Phil Rudd drummed AC/DC song. Atomic clocks set themselves to Phil Rudd.
I don't think I'd really considered it before - I'm not a massive AC/DC fan, its just something that quite like when it comes on. But I really listened to it this morning 'cos I was in the office early and its just so solid.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 am
I don't think I'd really considered it before - I'm not a massive AC/DC fan, its just something that quite like when it comes on. But I really listened to it this morning 'cos I was in the office early and its just so solid.
Phil Rudd was amazing. I personally take tons of drumming inspiration from him. He didn't do anything fancy except for never stray from the beat and he was a master at flipping the beat around and accenting the upbeat to match the guitars. His hi-hat hand never stopped. :drums:

His drum sound was meh, but his drumming is perfect.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2obRravzCM[/BBvideo]
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I listened to this this morning too. Listened to the whole album. I'm surprised you don't have a favourite drum sound actually.

I know you don't like Nirvana, but what do you think of the sound on In Utero and how do you think they achieved it... just great great drummer, great room?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:21 am Yeah, I listened to this this morning too. Listened to the whole album. I'm surprised you don't have a favourite drum sound actually.
There are just too many to choose from. I like any drum sound that works for the music and mix. I like any drummer that plays to fit the song. It's easier for me to pinpoint what I don't like - modern metal drums and bashing china cymbals.
I know you don't like Nirvana, but what do you think of the sound on In Utero and how do you think they achieved it... just great great drummer, great room?
I'm sure you could find tracking notes from In Utero out on the Google somewhere. The drums don't sound particularly special or complex to me. They don't sound bad. I like it. It sounds like live drums in a decent room. Maybe some additional short decay plate reverb or something. Maybe some hard compression on a room track. Honestly, that drum sound is just another thing they stole from the Pixies. Pretty much all of the Pixies drum tracks sound like that.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

My favorite drum sound is... uh... drum 'n' bass tone... Why would I like real drums?
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/bwX_zWjaFtE?t=101[/BBvideo]
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'm amazed by the drum sounds on Typhoon's last couple of albums. It's artificially wide in the stereo field, and there are 2 (or more) drummers playing tight together, but just enough variation to add a huge stereo effect. There's a lot of ambiance from a great-sounding room in there too.

There's a good taste of it at 4:30 of this long song:

https://youtu.be/Ns0DjwXjJUA
rayc

Post by rayc »

Mr Rudd played really well - all of the Bon era stuff is all round cool though. I don't have a fav drummer or drum sound. Today's revelation is that Grohl let McCartney play drums on a new Foo track. Whoopie - Macca decides to revive the "Best Drummer in the Beatles" topic so he can feel good again - doesn't matter about Ringo as he's no Paul & Paul is, apparently, aul.
Cheers
rayc
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I don't have a particular favorite drum sound, but I like a lots of drummers...Phil Rudd is one I recently started appreciating a lot because of his simple playing style, especially since I'm learning to play...I've listened to his playing all my life, but only recently started really paying attention to his playing...He is a human metronome IMO, is never flashy, & always plays what the song needs...To me, that's way better than someone doing 4-bar fills through an entire song to show off their chops...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 pm Mr Rudd played really well - all of the Bon era stuff is all round cool though. I don't have a fav drummer or drum sound. Today's revelation is that Grohl let McCartney play drums on a new Foo track. Whoopie - Macca decides to revive the "Best Drummer in the Beatles" topic so he can feel good again - doesn't matter about Ringo as he's no Paul & Paul is, apparently, aul.
I can't think of many things more sterile than a Foo Fighters/McCartney collaboration.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:49 pm I can't think of many things more sterile than a Foo Fighters/McCartney collaboration.
Too right Greg. I liked the 1st - 1 man band - Foo Fighters album because it was a pop version of Nirvana and, as said, a one man band.
Post that I'm no fan & have not been a Macca fan at any stage.
It'd HAVE to be mid tempo at best, (or shifted), for an occasionally drumming 75 year old to have put down a track.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:10 pm
Greg_L wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:49 pm I can't think of many things more sterile than a Foo Fighters/McCartney collaboration.
Too right Greg. I liked the 1st - 1 man band - Foo Fighters album because it was a pop version of Nirvana and, as said, a one man band.
Post that I'm no fan & have not been a Macca fan at any stage.
It'd HAVE to be mid tempo at best, (or shifted), for an occasionally drumming 75 year old to have put down a track.
DG wouldn't even let his own drummer drum on the 2nd album - I'm surprised if he let McCartney on for anything other than a novelty.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Here's one for you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a8j_LEryAs
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:27 am
Here's one for you
James, you're a nasty fellow. That was incredibly nothing - all of the guttural "WROK" vocal from Grandpa Peeyawl could not elevate it above turgid.
Last edited by rayc on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:39 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:27 am
Here's one for you
James, you're a nasty fellow. That was incredibly nothing - all of the guttural "WROK" vocal from Grandpa Peeyawl could elevate it above turgid.
Imagine how I felt? I'm actually a fan... I'm just sharing my pain.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

There's no way I'm watching that. The last thing I need is youtube "recommending" a bunch of McCartney shit every time I log in.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

I saw this thread yesterday and had to think about it. And you know what? I can't even think of a drum sound that I would call "ideal" or even a sound I strive for. I like Bonham's sound for that band. I like other drummer's sound for their band. But I've never tried to get a certain sound. I know what I'm going for when I mix my drums, but I'm never referencing anyone else.

I guess if I had to choose a more modern drum sound that might make me say "Man, I want to sound like that", it would be the drum sound to "In Bloom". Big thick snare and toms, nice click on the kik while still being beefy. That's the only sound I was able to come up with that I've noticed myself saying "I love that drum sound".