Love this drum sound

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

Love this drum sound

Post by JD01 »

Was listening to this in the car this morning (after picking up a fairtrade coffee in my own recycled bamboo cup which I took with me of course).

I love the tom sound in the middle of this song
https://youtu.be/uCEeAn6_QJo?t=177
Should be set to play the bit on the link straight away.

Aside from being a great drummer and the drums being well recorded, can anyone tell me what goes into the production to get a sound like that.

I've never liked toms that really ring out and sound "boingy" so when I had a kit I used to damp them quite a lot, this took the annoying "boingyness" out of them but then they sound dead. The drums on this clip seem to ring out and not have a dull dead sound, but they're not "boingy" either.

Is this a post production thing to do with compression and EQ - i.e. something I'd be able to achieve with my programmed shit? or is it just 'cos he's a fucking good drummer, on a great kit that's been well recorded?
Greg_L

Re: Love this drum sound

Post by Greg_L »

To me that's a very natural, pretty raw drum sound. I think the snare sounds like total shit, but the kicks and toms have a good natural sound to them.

So your last sentence probably says it best. Good drummer on a good kit in a good room, recorded well.

P.S. - I think most of what you hear in that drum pattern is kick drum. It's a right hand floor tom, double-stroke/double-kick triplet pattern with accents using the left hand.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah - it just sounds really alive.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Yup, love that shit.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

This dude has nice natural sounds as well:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DV5Xozzghcs[/BBvideo]
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:21 am I think the snare sounds like total shit,
Is it just me or does the pattern there sound like he's hitting the snare with the snare itself disabled?

The rest of the song the snare is surprisingly weak tho, now that you mention it.