Bonham's Kit Sound...if you need it.

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Farview

Re: Bonham's Kit Sound...if you need it.

Post by Farview »

I truly don't understand chasing a drum sound from 40 years ago. A lot of the reason that sound worked was because of how thin the rest of the productions were. Also, what and how Bonham played was probably a bigger factor in his 'sound' than the size and tuning of the drums, or the mic technique.

If you actually pay attention to the drums sounds on each album, they don't actually sound the same at all. It's just obvious that it is him playing.

If you want Bonham's sound, you need a plane ticket, a shovel and a sorcerer of some sort. (the darker, evil ones seem to be more useful in this sort of endevor)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

So funny. My kit sizes, head choices, tuning, and cymbals are all pretty much exactly what that article describes. I mean, exactly. I sound nothing like Bonham. Go figure.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

The drums in the vid didn't seem to sound like Bonham either.
Cheers
rayc
Farview

Post by Farview »

They pretty much did. But if you don't have them set up in a castle, with $20,000 worth of mics, $10,000 worth of (now) vintage compressors, and a tape deck managed by professionals and played by John Bonham, it doesn't have the same effect.

Greg, I'm surprised that you don't have a vent hole in the front head.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Farview wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:49 am

Greg, I'm surprised that you don't have a vent hole in the front head.
I do.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

Oh. When you said that you tune it the same, I got it in my head that you wouldn't have the vent. It makes a completely different sound without the vent.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Farview wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:04 pm Oh. When you said that you tune it the same, I got it in my head that you wouldn't have the vent. It makes a completely different sound without the vent.
I know, but I need my kick to be practical and I don't care anything about sounding like Bonham. His drum sound was great for Led Zep songs. It'd probably sound pretty stupid in anything else.

I do tune as they describe, and use the types of heads that they describe. My cymbals are all 2002s. I use a 14x6.5 Supraphonic. I use big toms. I do pretty much everything right for their version of the Bonham sound. But, no. My gear closely matches the criteria. That aint enough though. I'm not John Bonham nor do I record the way they did.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

Yup, it would sound pretty stupI'd on anything recorded past 1985, or anything with real low end,