Drumb Lessuns

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Farview

Re: Drumb Lessuns

Post by Farview »

I actually write my parts, including the fills. In the types of bands I was playing in, they are part of the song. Kind of like the solo in More Than A Feeling by Boston. That isn't a place to adlib, that melody is part of the song.

There will be a couple places in the song where I can do something different, if I'm feeling frisky. I only write parts to about 75-80% of my ability, so I can still perform them well when I'm having a bad day. If I'm having a great day, there is someplace to go.

Maybe the guy in the video above can get some lessons from this 13 year old girl...
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:26 pm That's where having a pretty good "vocabulary" comes in. But, even the simplest roll can be varied. You can hit a snare 3 times for a fill. You can also hit the snare only twice and hit a tom for the third hit. You can also just hit the snare once and two toms once each. You can also do the same fill but not hit the snare at all and do it on your toms. You know what I mean? All the same roll, but different voicings.
This is basically what I was wondering, & I kinda knew that already, like I've mentioned before, I'm thick-headed sometimes... :biggrin:

Are there any vids/books/anything you guys can suggest to me that will help me expand my vocabulary??? I know there are a lot of tutorials on Youtube, but sometimes it's hard to wade through all the shit in order to find something good/useful...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Minerman wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:40 pm Are there any vids/books/anything you guys can suggest to me that will help me expand my vocabulary??? I know there are a lot of tutorials on Youtube, but sometimes it's hard to wade through all the shit in order to find something good/useful...
There might be, but as you found out, you 'd have to wade through a lot of crap and/or shit that's irrelevant for you.

To be honest, the best way to learn how to play FOR THE SONG is to just listen to your favorite bands, and focus on what the drummer is doing. You'll probably be surprised at how simple and how few rolls most good rock songs actually have.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Farview wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:36 pm
How the fuck does any of that even happen? I really need to stop entering threads like this.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

It's just focus and practice.

The ability to do 1/8 notes with one hand and triplets with the other helps too.

But if you break a lot of this stuff down, you will find that the hands are just doing 1/8th or 1/16th notes, spread out over a bunch of different things. It ends up sounding more complicated than it is.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks dudes, I just had a huge brainfart...Fuck, I've got all these midi drum loops/fills/accents, all I gotta do is load 'em up in the daw, then open the piano roll editor...Not only would it help by hearing, I'd be able to visually see where the hits are on the timeline...

Why the fuck didn't I think of this before??? :facepalm2:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Minerman wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:22 pm Thanks dudes, I just had a huge brainfart...Fuck, I've got all these midi drum loops/fills/accents, all I gotta do is load 'em up in the daw, then open the piano roll editor...Not only would it help by hearing, I'd be able to visually see where the hits are on the timeline...

Why the fuck didn't I think of this before??? :facepalm2:
Good idea. You can also slow them down to snail speed. Take 3 rolls, slow them down, learn them and then speed them up by 3-5bpm's every time you practice. Within a month, you'll have nailed them at top speed and you can move on to 3 other rolls. In about a year, you'll be teaching me. :like: :coolstorybro:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:25 pmGood idea. You can also slow them down to snail speed. Take 3 rolls, slow them down, learn them and then speed them up by 3-5bpm's every time you practice. Within a month, you'll have nailed them at top speed and you can move on to 3 other rolls. In about a year, you'll be teaching me. :like: :coolstorybro:
Thanks man, I dunno why the fuck I didn't think of that before...

Slowing 'em down is a great idea too man, dunno if you guys know this or not, but when you play a midi file/track it actually changes the tempo when you raise/lower the project bpm...With audio, most of the time you can slap any tempo in a project, & the audio will still play at the same tempo it was recorded at...Midi is completely different, I can record my e-kit at 100 bpm, then throw that track/file into another song/project, & it follows the bpm...

Thanks for the little goal tip too dude, I'm positive this is gonna help, but I'm not so sure about me teaching you anything about drumming...

I've been wondering something else too, & since it's on my mind I'll ask...How high from the floor are your drums/cymbals/hi-hats/etc, & about how far apart is one kit piece from another roughly???

I completely tore my kit down a week or 2 ago, set it up quite a bit differently than it was, getting the snare between my legs & basically bringing everything in closer to me...It was Liv's suggestion (thanks dude!!!), & it made a big difference...I can put the different pads/cymbals a lot closer to each other because they're nowhere near as big as a real drum kit...I've been wondering about that for a while too...

What say ye drummer folk???
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

zed32
Location: On the beachside combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change

Post by zed32 »

My kit setup is pretty similar to what you describe...the snare is between my legs and everything is mounted as low and close as possible. I even switched to a 13" snare (Yamaha Musashi) to get everything even closer!

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks for the info & posting the pic dude!!! And sorry I've hi-jacked your thread man...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

^^^^Love that kit. :like: :coolstorybro:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Here's my kit if it helps. You have to reverse it, though. I'm a lefty.
IMG_0825.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:37 pm ^^^^Love that kit. :like: :coolstorybro:
Definitely...that is a cool looking kit...

Thanks Rami, I've saw your kit before, but couldn't tell much because I couldn't see your throne to use as a guide...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Looking at my own picture, it actually looks as if my throne is far back. It must be an illusion, because the snare fits right between my legs. I'm only 5'11".
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:52 pm Looking at my own picture, it actually looks as if my throne is far back. It must be an illusion, because the snare fits right between my legs. I'm only 5'11".
It's all good dude...I can still judge about how to set my kit up using the throne as a guide...

I know this will be different for each person, but how roughly how far are your kick & hi-hat pedals from the throne???
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

The 13 year old is good BUT I couldn't dance to it. Is the cow bell her click track? It's annoying. I see & hear this as the problem these days - it's all show and potatoes.
Cheers
rayc
Farview

Post by Farview »

Someone else is playing the cowbell. It changes patterns. It is way too loud in the mix.

To answer another question, the pedals should be far enough away so that you knees are at a 90 degree angle. Or, if you prefer to sit higher than that, your knees need to be above or slightly behind your feet.