Toms on stands

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
RatsoRizzo

Toms on stands

Post by RatsoRizzo »

Is there any advantage to this? Both my kits so far have had toms mounted on the kick drum.

I feel like tom stands look janky, like they could just fall over if you hit em the wrong way, but I'm shopping for a new kit now and keep running into kits that otherwise look awesome, but they have stupid toms on stands. What up wit dat?
RatsoRizzo

Re: Toms on stands

Post by RatsoRizzo »

2 views and no replies.. THIS PLACE SUX!!!!
RatsoRizzo

Post by RatsoRizzo »

And now 3???? WTF!
RatsoRizzo

Post by RatsoRizzo »

Oops sorry, those were all me.
Farview

Post by Farview »

I like the toms on stands, because I always had a double bass kit. I like the rack toms in front of me, not off to the right.

Last time I had an acoustic kit, I had deep toms and 24" kicks. So mounting them on the kick would have put the toms above my head, or I would have had to angle them too much.

Also, having the toms mounted on the kick affects the way the shell of the kick resonates.

Now, if you are taking stand mounted floor toms, That always seemed stupid, even on a cage setup.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My kit has a virgin kick drum. Meaning rack toms on stands. The kick is only a kick and nothing else. No toms on the kick. Hundreds, thousands of gigs, practice, recordings, toms falling over has never happened one time.

Floor toms are on legs though. Floor toms hanging off a clamp is flimsy.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I have no choice since I have a virgin kick and have had no problems at all. I have my high and mid tom on a stand along with a 19" crash and its stable. My low tom is on another stand along with a 18"/10" stack, again no problems. As long as the legs are pointed the right way and you're not using janky hardware its fine.

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

My toms are on a rack, too. My drums are fibreglass, very thin shells. I don't think my bass drum can take a tom on it, let alone 2. I can make my bass drum oval just by squeezing the shell.

Some of the best kits do have toms on the bass drum, though. So I don't think it affects the sound adversely that much. I do prefer having my toms on a rack, though.
IMG_0819.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RatsoRizzo

Post by RatsoRizzo »

Oh yeah, virgin kick. I knew there was a name for that. Well maybe I should reconsider my stand on the whole issue here. All y'alls kits look great.
zed32
Location: On the beachside combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change

Post by zed32 »

I, too, have my toms on stands. My kick drum is semi-virgin....it has a surface-mounted tom "holder" thingy that isn't drilled through the shell, but I feel that having the toms on the stands is a much sturdier option; I have toms and cymbals sharing a stand and have had no issues with tipping over. Just make sure they're good stands and that you have them balanced properly.