Paiste Hi-hats....

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Greg_L

Re: Paiste Hi-hats....

Post by Greg_L »

Lol. The "sound edge" is the ripple on the bottom hat. It's supposed to let air out easier when opening and closing. They don't have that sloppy woosh sound when you slam them shut with your foot and the closed sound is pretty crisp.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

yes, it's all coming back to me now. I used to sell this shit, but have been so out of touch. That ripple that allows the air to escape gives them a nice "chick" sound when you close them. I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanx for the help boyzzzz.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:49 pm yes, it's all coming back to me now. I used to sell this shit, but have been so out of touch. That ripple that allows the air to escape gives them a nice "chick" sound when you close them. I'm really looking forward to this.

Thanx for the help boyzzzz.
Yes exactly. Zildjian has hats like that too. Mastersound or some shit. Maybe New Beats? I don't know. Zildjian has a set with a rippled bottom and one with actual holes in the bottom hat.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Right, I've seen those.

Just placed the order. I'm all a twitter now!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome! I really like mine. I've had em about ten years now without ever even considering something else.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

What are these "hi-hats" of which you speak? Are they some kind of cymbal? :drums: :lol:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

HAhA! Pretty funny that this happens at the same time. :D
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Congrats dude, I like it when you experienced drummer type dudes talk all technical about this shit... :biggrin:

FWIW, I've got a couple hi-hats in Superior that I like more than all the others, so any info on any of this stuff is gold to me...I'm trying to apply what I learn about you guys' real-world stuff to my virtual drums over here, so it doesn't take much to go "WHOOOOSH" over my head pretty fast... :lollers2:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:49 pm Congrats dude, I like it when you experienced drummer type dudes talk all technical about this shit... :biggrin:

FWIW, I've got a couple hi-hats in Superior that I like more than all the others, so any info on any of this stuff is gold to me...I'm trying to apply what I learn about you guys' real-world stuff to my virtual drums over here, so it doesn't take much to go "WHOOOOSH" over my head pretty fast... :lollers2:
Hey are those samples I made for you worth a shit at all? It doesn't hurt my feelings if you don't use them, I had no idea what I was doing! Still don't!
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:57 pmHey are those samples I made for you worth a shit at all? It doesn't hurt my feelings if you don't use them, I had no idea what I was doing! Still don't!
Actually dude, they are!!! But, being the dumb-fuck I am, I had all that shit saved, worked up almost ready to use, & then re-loaded the OS on my computer, so, while I still have all the samples you made/sent, 99% of the all the work I did turning 'em into a vst instrument is gone... I saved a few songs/Reaper projects I was using what I had them in, but forgot to save the actual drum sample projects I needed...:facepalm:

I have a lot better understanding of what I need to do on my end in order to make it all work, it's just gonna take me a while to do it all again...I had 'em all cut/sliced/split where I needed 'em, ready to throw into Kontakt, but I'll have to do that all over again, hit by hit...

I actually bought some software not long ago to make your samples into a bona-fide Kontakt instrument, the grunt work will be done in the daw, but the software I bought is basically a drag-n-drop gui maker for Kontakt...It gives me the ability to just drag/drop a knob/button/slider into your cymbals, & assign functions to 'em (like re-mapping/changing the midi notes that trigger 'em, or adjust the volume difference between a bell & bow sound for a ride just for a couple examples)...Before I bought the gui maker, everything I wanted to do like that was controlled by using code/scripts in Kontakt...The gui maker does this for me, & not only opens up a lot of possibilities, but makes it a hell of a lot easier on my small hillbilly brain...

I'd planned on giving 'em out to people who wanted 'em (we discussed this at HR), but the cymbals/instruments I make won't work with the freebie version of Kontakt 5, so I'm not sure they're would be a big interest in 'em in our little community here...I'm sure if what I'm doing would work with the freebie version of Kontakt, a few of our buddies here would like to have 'em, but I'm not sure they'd wanna drop coin on Kontakt or not, & I could understand if they didn't...If/when I ever get them finished up, I wouldn't mind letting a few folks here that could use them have them though...Our agreement from back then still applies too, btw...

I know you probably don't understand what I'm talking about here (and probably don't care...lol), but I've actually started on 'em again since I got the new e-kit, & I'm gonna use 'em in the video, if/when I ever get around to finishing it up...

Not only can I use the cymbals/hi-hats in my drum vst's, I can load those things into my drum module too...I could actually have a Gerg kit not only in my daw, but my drum module too dude... :biggrin:

I know I keep saying this, but I've got a lotta shit goin' on at once over here, but hopefully some of it will come to fruition before too much longer...

Sorry to hi-jack your thread Rami, show us some pics & post some clips when you get the new toys dude!!! :drums:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Not my thread, dude. It's ours. Everyone's. :cool:

Hey Miner, are you triggering a hi-hat, or do you have real cymbals and hi-hats on your kit?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 pm
I know you probably don't understand what I'm talking about here
Lol. Nope, not even a little. :crazy: :robus:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:41 pm Not my thread, dude. It's ours. Everyone's. :cool:

Hey Miner, are you triggering a hi-hat, or do you have real cymbals and hi-hats on your kit?
The kit has rubber cymbals & a rubber hi-hat pad dude...
This is what makes up the hi-hat (along with a real hi-hat stand):

The hi-hat pad is a 2-zone pad (edge & bow), with a clutch & cymbal stopper (keeps the pad from rotating...the little "L" arm slides up through the pad, & locks into place with a couple of nuts, then attaches to the hi-hat stand's rod just like a real hi-hat) & actually moves up/down...There's only one pad though (instead of a top/bottom like a real hi-hat), & the open/closed-ness is determined by how much pressure the bottom of the pad has by sensing if it's touching the smaller rubber pad it rests on that's attached to the hi-hat stand...

Put it all together, & it looks like this:

It's fuckin' super-duper cool dude, as close as I can get to a real hi-hat without having real cymbals/hats...

The 2 cymbals that came with the kit look just like the hi-hat pad, but they have 3 zones each, edge, bow, & bell...Plus they have the ability to "choke" which is cool as fuck too...

I officially have more shit & options than I know what to do with dude, & I'm having an absolute blast with this e-kit over here...I've finally landed on a setup I'm gonna leave alone for a while: 4 crash cymbals (only have one set up to "choke"), ride cymbal, 4 toms, hi-hat, kick, & snare...I can assign a cowbell/percussion to the extra tom if I need, & the snare has 3-zones for head, rimshot, & sidestick...It's really a kick-ass setup man, especially compared to the shitty little kit I'd been playing, there's just no comparision at all...

In short, I'm as happy as a hillbilly could possibly be with the new e-kit right now dude... :biggrin:

I really, really need to finish the video I started so you guys can see this thing in action... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

That's great stuff. Looks like it's really the closest you can get to the real thing.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Man, what's taking those hi-hats so long to get here? I wonder if they got lost in the mail.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Speaking of which....out of curiosity, do fake drums get as specific as fake amps? Like, I know EZ-Drummer or whatever people use give you choices of snares, kiks, and complete kits like "Rock kit", "Jazz Kit".,etc....But tdo they ever give you the choice of "Ludwig deep Supraphonic", "Paiste 16" crash", etc....the same way amp sims will give you "Marshall JVC" or "Fender bassman", etc....?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:39 pm Speaking of which....out of curiosity, do fake drums get as specific as fake amps? Like, I know EZ-Drummer or whatever people use give you choices of snares, kiks, and complete kits like "Rock kit", "Jazz Kit".,etc....But tdo they ever give you the choice of "Ludwig deep Supraphonic", "Paiste 16" crash", etc....the same way amp sims will give you "Marshall JVC" or "Fender bassman", etc....?
Yes Rami, every drum vst I have allows you to pick kit pieces like a Ludwig Supraphonic, 19" Zildjian A Custom, etc...They even go into detail like choosing a felt/plastic beater & even choosing what they were recorded with, sticks/rods/mallets/brushes...Some even offer multiple mic choices too like a condenser or dynamic mic used on the snare for example...

The ability to basically choose my entire kit has often made me wonder if the software sounds anywhere near the real thing & made me curious to what you drummer guys use...

Hope your new hi-hats arrive safe-n-sound dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Thanx brother.

That's pretty cool. Never knew they got that specific. I'm sure they come close because the problem with fake drums is rarely the actual sounds. In fact, sometimes the sounds are alomost "too good", compressed, EQ'd, reverbed, etc....
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Fuck that was quick. Now THAT'S what I call great service!
IMG_0823.JPG
IMG_0824.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome!

I thought you got the 15s though.
Rebel Yell