Kit at practice spot?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
liv_rong

Kit at practice spot?

Post by liv_rong »

Who else has a second kit wherever they practice? A couple months ago we switched practice from my house to a guitar players house and that meant hobbling together another kit so I could keep mine at my house. Between the guitar player and me we both got free kits from people and they ended up being almost identical. Older Sonar beginner kits. Got some newer but used heads and some stands and am making it work. Sound is less than ideal but for practice it's totally fine. I've been bringing a few cymbals and my kick pedal over every week and twice now I forgot to bring the kick pedal and had to go home to get it. Luckily we live in the same town but still a major pain in the ass. Last week the hi hat stand started fucking up so between that and the kick pedal I decided to purchase a new pedal, hi hat stand and a snare stand too. It really sucks having to buy extra shit when I already have it but it's so much easier than having to bring shit every week. What else do you drummers do? Greg?
Greg_L

Re: Kit at practice spot?

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:51 am Who else has a second kit wherever they practice? A couple months ago we switched practice from my house to a guitar players house and that meant hobbling together another kit so I could keep mine at my house. Between the guitar player and me we both got free kits from people and they ended up being almost identical. Older Sonar beginner kits. Got some newer but used heads and some stands and am making it work. Sound is less than ideal but for practice it's totally fine. I've been bringing a few cymbals and my kick pedal over every week and twice now I forgot to bring the kick pedal and had to go home to get it. Luckily we live in the same town but still a major pain in the ass. Last week the hi hat stand started fucking up so between that and the kick pedal I decided to purchase a new pedal, hi hat stand and a snare stand too. It really sucks having to buy extra shit when I already have it but it's so much easier than having to bring shit every week. What else do you drummers do? Greg?
Yup, I have another full kit at the practice space. Well, it's not my kit, it's the guitar player's, but it's mine to use at practices. It's smaller than my official kit, but it's fine for practicing. I have it set up the same as mine. If I had to drag my drums around from home to practice to gigs and back to home to record and back to practices, etc, I'd quit drumming.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Yeah I would quit if they wanted to switch locations and we weren't able to get another kit together.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:00 pm Yeah I would quit if they wanted to switch locations and we weren't able to get another kit together.
I have spare amps and cabs and shit at my guitar gig too. I just bring whatever guitar I wanna use.
Rebel Yell
zed32
Location: On the beachside combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change

Post by zed32 »

I do! And it's hilariously small! :lollers: I put it together for 100 bucks. Since this pic, I have acquired an Iron Cobra Jr. single kick pedal to make it even smaller.

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Almost every band I've ever played with practiced at my house. Either my parents place when I was younger or my own places later on. So, I never needed a second kit for practice.

But I do have a second kit that I originally bought for gigging, since my main kit had mics all over it and I didn't want to go through the hassle of tearing it down every weekend. Now, that second kit is what my students play on.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yep, except that my kit at my house is the second kit. My drummers mostly leave their own gear at home. :D
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Lol, Z's is pretty nice compared to mine! Notice the tom leg used as a kick drum leg.