monthly drum challenge?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Greg_L

Re: monthly drum challenge?

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 pm Very cool, Miner. To be honest, I think I've heard you play better on earlier tunes. It's just a little shakey and not as solid as I remember you playing on some of the earlier tunes. Watch the bass drum, sometimes you rush it a bit. When you're in the groove and once you get into a verse or whatever, it steadies out. I find the intro a little weak, but then it gets better after that. By the middle of the tune, your playing is really good.
I agree. Miner, you've done better. You do rush it in spots. It seems to me like you're thinking too much while playing. Lol. Just let it flow. No big deal, just keep practicing. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Yeah man, for the amount of time you've been playing, you're miles...and I mean MILES....ahead of almost any other drummer I've ever known.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks dudes, I suppose you can tell I did a rush job on this, to be honest, I've heard it so much, I was tired of hearing it, & wanted just to get it over....hahaha

What did you guys think of the guitar tones on this??? I know this is the drum section, but I'm really curious...I'll go ahead & let the cat out of the bag...

All the guitars on that song were recorded with the 1w Marshall DSL1H, a Shure 57, & the home-made ISO cab I had...This was recorded in the summer of 2013, before my life reached the "shit hit the fan" stage...

Another confession, if you dig around on my Soundcloud page, this is a song I finished & posted at HR in 2013, called "Heart & Soul"...

The original programmed drums are way better than I could even imagine playing, way too complex & technical...I basically just dumbed the drums down to a level I could play, which is what I have to do, until I can get to that stage...It didn't work in parts (like the intro), but did sound ok in some parts...

To be honest, I've been watching to see if any of you drummer dudes would throw anything up, as I'd love to hear what a real drummer would do on it...I know I could combine my playing with my drum programming & make the drums on this much, much better, but I'm past the programming thing, to me, it's "cheating" just to nudge/edit a few notes here/there, as I wanna get better at drumming...The only way for me to do so is with my hands on the sticks & my ass on the throne behind the kit...

Thanks again for the compliments & encouragement dudes...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:25 am

What did you guys think of the guitar tones on this???
I thought they were a little bright and fizzy in the drumless version. But once you put the drums-in mix up, I didn't notice it so much. I thought they sounded okay.

To be honest, I've been watching to see if any of you drummer dudes would throw anything up, as I'd love to hear what a real drummer would do on it...I know I could combine my playing with my drum programming & make the drums on this much, much better, but I'm past the programming thing, to me, it's "cheating" just to nudge/edit a few notes here/there, as I wanna get better at drumming...The only way for me to do so is with my hands on the sticks & my ass on the throne behind the kit...

Thanks again for the compliments & encouragement dudes...
I just couldn't figure out when and where and how to come in on the song with just the guitar tracks. Nothing I was coming up worked so I figured there was some weird half time thing going on or things probably happened on the ands and uhs. 1-e-and-uh-2-e-and-uh, etc. I couldn't tell where the downbeats were exactly. So I just passed on it. To be honest, now that I hear it with your drums, I wouldn't do it much different myself.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Sounds good Miner! I would have played this totally differently, I heard it differently but I didnt write it! I think your drumming sounds good. Dont sweat over the little stuff with these challenges, it is not about perfection. Really it is about stepping outside of your comfort zone and trying things you dont normally do, drumming to styles of music you normally wouldnt, exploring the kit more. The tiny imperfections dont matter here, its just about belting out some ideas and seeing where it takes you. That's why its important that we try to find songs that we didnt make ourselves and dont have drums on them. This gives us the opportunity to add our interpretive layer to the piece. Now if we dont find anything we should totally just use something one of us has done so we are at least doing something, we did that a little less than half the time at the other place. Im going to try to find something now and post it and see if you want to take a shot at any of them. My new job makes it a bit easier to make time for recording so Im definitely going to do the next one.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Ok, Ive got two here Id really like to do, been trying to get one of these in a challenge ever since we started back at the other place. The are both short, about a minute and a half, easy to follow even without a click because he hits the strings on the 3 nearly every time and they have cool changes/moods and lots of room to mess around. Id be up for either or maybe one now and one later down the road? What do you think Minerman?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Liv: Thanks for the compliments dude, I'm trying to learn to be competent & consistent, but have a long way to go...Putting your own spin on someone else's stuff, will improve my chops, & expand my drum "vocabulary"...

I downloaded your tracks, & I'll have a go at 'em...
Since I picked the last deadline, it's your turn... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Well, pick one of those if you'd like and let's do this weekend a month from now.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:05 pm Well, pick one of those if you'd like and let's do this weekend a month from now.
Sorry I didn't get back with ya yesterday Liv...let's just do 'em both & set the deadline for the weekend 4 weeks from now...

That'll put a little more pressure on me to get 'em done...:minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:49 am
Sorry I didn't get back with ya yesterday Liv...let's just do 'em both & set the deadline for the weekend 4 weeks from now...

That'll put a little more pressure on me to get 'em done...:minernuggs:
:punk:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Sept 19?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:59 amSept 19?
That's good for me if it's good for you & everybody else dude....

Dunno if you realize or not, but "I'll Be Over You" is a Toto song from the 80's...While most of their music I just didn't get into, I do have to admit I like the original drummer, Jeff Porcaro, & they had a couple songs that were ok...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 pm
liv_rong wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:59 amSept 19?

Dunno if you realize or not, but "I'll Be Over You" is a Toto song from the 80's...While most of their music I just didn't get into, I do have to admit I like the original drummer, Jeff Porcaro, & they had a couple songs that were ok...
I actually did realize this after posting. We dont have to do it if you dont want, we can just do the other one if you'd like. You decide.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:34 pm
Minerman wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:06 pm

I actually did realize this after posting. We dont have to do it if you dont want, we can just do the other one if you'd like. You decide.
No dude, it's fine, I was just sayin'.....It's all good... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I have mine done, just no time to go downstairs and upload it today. Gotta do a little mixing yet too. Hopefully get it up tomorrow.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:05 pm I have mine done, just no time to go downstairs and upload it today. Gotta do a little mixing yet too. Hopefully get it up tomorrow.
Dude I have totally forgotten about the deadline for my homework, I'll get on it in the morning...Sorry man... :eep:

How many points are you take off my grade for turning my homework in late??? :biggrin:

I've been busy trying to be a carpenter the last few days & this completely slipped away from me... :facepalm:

Again, sorry dude, I'll put my version up tomorrow... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

It doesn't matter lol you missed the last one and we are the only ones doing this anyways.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Here is mine. The bridge for the second song is a train wreck, kind of forgot what I was doing there and was buzzed while doing these. Fun songs to play to though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Dude, I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to skip this one, I just can't get my ass in gear over here...I've got so many things going on I'm going in circles...I'll give your tracks a listen later today, but again, I'm sorry but I just can't squeeze it in this time 'round...I feel like a squashed turd over this, so I'll make it up on the next one...Sorry dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

All good. I missed the last one!