monthly drum challenge?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
liv_rong

monthly drum challenge?

Post by liv_rong »

Would you guys be down for that? It will only be fun if more than two people do it every month. I was participating in one at another place for well over a year and it was pretty fun actually. Sometimes I would take a lot of time to write and learn the parts and other times Id rush through it last minute depending on the time I had to devote to it or how much I was interested at the time. The format is every month a song that has no drums is decided upon between everybody and a due date is chosen. On the due date everybody posts their submissions. Its posted on the due date because if you post a week early it may influence the other players decision making in their writing process. The idea behind it is to do something outside of what you normally do and help inspire and hone your creative and technical abilities. Electric drums are fine to use however time, hit and velocity manipulation is not, it should be a live recording, one take all the way through. The mix is also not important, performance and composition is what we would be doing this for, however it was a useful training exercise for me in mixing my drums. Songs can be submitted by anyone one of us or any drumless track found online, but if there are multiple submissions for a month then we all vote on which one we use.

Does this interest you? It does me, I hope you guys decide to do it. Its a fun little process and really interesting to hear everyones takes on the material.
liv_rong

Re: monthly drum challenge?

Post by liv_rong »

Come on! I know there is at least 4 drummers here including me.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 pm Come on! I know there is at least 4 drummers here including me.
Hehe...Relax. Youonly posted this a few hours ago. :D

I often forget to check the "Unread posts" for days.

I think it's a cool idea. I just don't know when I'd have the time to put one of my projects aside.

But explain more. So this "tune that has no drums", who provides that, one of us? Or do you mean a song by a "popular" artist?
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

You know what would also be cool? The inverse of that. Someone provides a drum track, amd others write and record a song around that. I bet more of the drummers around here would participate in that. I know that I'd have no problem allowing anything I've recorded to be used for something like that.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Yes just a song that anyone submits that doesn't have drums. It could be something one of us wrote and recorded or something found on the internet. It could be something that needs drums or something that was never meant for drums.

As far as the inverse is concerned, we also tried that at the other place but nothing ever came of it. But I'd be willing to give that a go as well.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think it's a neat idea. It's not really something I'm interested in though. I'm not a jam/improv drummer. I don't go outside what I normally do. I'd be interested in hearing others stuff though.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

Sounds cool. I might even participate, just to see if I can still play Worth a damn.

It would obviously need a click.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman, you in? Put that new kit to use?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 am Minerman, you in? Put that new kit to use?
Honestly dude, I dunno if I'm actually capable of pulling it off...
Comparing my drumming to most of you guys is like the difference between someone in kindergarten & someone with a college degree... :minernuggs:

I like the rules about not editing afterward, that's what I'm trying to do over here is play through a whole song without any edits, but I've got a long way to go dude...

I'll give it some more thought, & a big thanks for the offer, I'd already been thinking about it, again, I'm just not sure I'd be able to pull it off right now...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 pm
liv_rong wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:37 am Minerman, you in? Put that new kit to use?
Comparing my drumming to most of you guys is like the difference between someone in kindergarten & someone with a college degree... :minernuggs:

I like the rules about not editing afterward, that's what I'm trying to do over here is play through a whole song without any edits, but I've got a long way to go dude...

I'll give it some more thought, & a big thanks for the offer, I'd already been thinking about it, again, I'm just not sure I'd be able to pull it off right now...
Skill level is not important at all and it's not a contest either. It will make you a better drummer much quicker than whatever your regular routine is because it forces you to play for the song and helps build writing skills as well. At the other place there were a couple beginner level drummers who vastly improved over time while being a part of the challenge. It's just a fun exercise in music. You can play whatever you want and no one is judging you, it's kind of more about the ideas you come up with regardless of if you can execute on them tonsome crazy skill level. It's interesting listening to different people's take one the material and how much it can affect the cadence and feel for a song. And time commitment doesn't matter, you can practice the song for an hour a day or just run through it a couple times and hit record the day before it's due. Either way is no biggie. It really is fun and helps build your chops. I really hope more people will participate, even you Greg. You can play a rock beat over anything the style doesn't matter. It's just supposed to be fun.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm
Minerman wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:33 pm

Skill level is not important at all and it's not a contest either. It will make you a better drummer much quicker than whatever your regular routine is because it forces you to play for the song and helps build writing skills as well. At the other place there were a couple beginner level drummers who vastly improved over time while being a part of the challenge. It's just a fun exercise in music. You can play whatever you want and no one is judging you, it's kind of more about the ideas you come up with regardless of if you can execute on them tonsome crazy skill level. It's interesting listening to different people's take one the material and how much it can affect the cadence and feel for a song. And time commitment doesn't matter, you can practice the song for an hour a day or just run through it a couple times and hit record the day before it's due. Either way is no biggie. It really is fun and helps build your chops. I really hope more people will participate, even you Greg. You can play a rock beat over anything the style doesn't matter. It's just supposed to be fun.
I think it's a great idea. I think i may even have a few tracks at home that are drumless that just kind of never developed to much more than weird ideas. I'll go through them and then i'll post them up. I may have to rerecord them as they playing probably sucked.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Happy to provide tunage. Although anything I have without drumbs generally doesn't have vocals either yet... It would at least give me some ideas... :coolstorybro:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I'm not a good drummer, bum I'm interested in improving. I'm relegated to my e-kit again due to lack of space, but once I get unpacked and settled I think it's be a cool thing to try.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:38 pm I really hope more people will participate, even you Greg. You can play a rock beat over anything the style doesn't matter. It's just supposed to be fun.
I'll give it a try. Nothing else has made me better over the past 25 years. Maybe this will do it. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Ok dudes, I'll give it a shot...Just know when we pick a song, I'd want fairly easy to play, simple-simon stuff because it'a about all I can do right now...

I do have a lot of irons in the fire, but again, I'll give it a shot...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

I don't have a kit, but I'd love to submit the song!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:57 am I don't have a kit, but I'd love to submit the song!
Do it. We need one to get started.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:38 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:57 am I don't have a kit, but I'd love to submit the song!
OK, will try and remember to do it when I get home. I'll keep it short at this stage, no one wants to try and do a single take of something 6 minute long with a load of changes and breaks at this stage.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:45 am
liv_rong wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:38 am

OK, will try and remember to do it when I get home. I'll keep it short at this stage, no one wants to try and do a single take of something 6 minute long with a load of changes and breaks at this stage.
Cool, thanks! Be sure to let us know the BPM as well please.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:11 am

Cool, thanks! Be sure to let us know the BPM as well please.
Yes, please always include the bpm & if the time signature is anything else besides 4/4 let everyone know....

I sure hope you guys pick some easy songs for me to play... :lollers:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH