monthly drum challenge?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

Re: monthly drum challenge?

Post by JD01 »

einstein magoo wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:55 pm Wow. Just listened to JD's song "No Choice" and I think you're gonna need one of those "Great modern drummers" from Liv's thread to keep up with this. I could actually hear how I would do it, if I could do it, but man, I can't do it! Good luck to the participants. Will be interesting to hear the outcome. But man, shit...I'm worn out just thinking about it.

For a first challenge, this one seems a little brutal?
Lol, yeah. It is a bit harsh. I have two on the go at 120 and one at 115 at the moment. In hindsight these might have been better choices.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Went through this a couple times just now. I cant get through yet with no mistakes, and probably wont be able to, but Im getting there. Pretty fun to play but I realize this isnt my thing so its difficult for me. A couple more times through then Ill just start hitting record until I get something usable.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:07 am Went through this a couple times just now. I cant get through yet with no mistakes, and probably wont be able to, but Im getting there. Pretty fun to play but I realize this isnt my thing so its difficult for me. A couple more times through then Ill just start hitting record until I get something usable.
Sorry, mate. Slower and heavier is generally more your thing isn't it?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:07 am Went through this a couple times just now. I cant get through yet with no mistakes, and probably wont be able to, but Im getting there. Pretty fun to play but I realize this isnt my thing so its difficult for me. A couple more times through then Ill just start hitting record until I get something usable.
Keep after it man, you're already a good drummer so I know you'll be able to pull it off...At first, I was kinda overwhelmed, but after a few days of bangin' away at it, I like it because it's a challenge & will definitely make me improve...

I've made myself a "practice project" with this song, plus about 5-6 others...I put the tempo markers in with each different song so the click follows, & play my ass off to 'em for a few hours every day...I'm getting to the point I can play the main beat consistently, but the fills/accents are my problem...The thing is I honestly don't know what I should throw in at certain spots that I think it needs & it sounds sloppy...

I took your advice Liv, & basically completely tore down then re-arranged my whole kit (making the front of the rack go from about 20" to 32") after you suggested bringing everything in closer...It's made a big difference, & has made things a lot easier for me, so thanks dude...

This is not only great practice for my actual drumming skills, but I'm also getting the module/kit dialed in to fit how I play...I already know what velocities most of these drum vst's sound their best at & I'm getting the module dialed in to fit my playing accordingly...IE: when I'd program the drums, most of the snare hits during a verse section were from about 90 - 105, & during a chorus or lead break, the snare hits would be around 110 - 120...I'm getting the module & my playing to get in that range, so this isn't just me learning to play, I'm learning to dial the triggers/module in along the way...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Haven't done mine yet but will sometime this morning, whether my wife likes it or not lol.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:55 am Haven't done mine yet but will sometime this morning, whether my wife likes it or not lol.
Actually Ill do it this afternoon when they all leave sometime between 2-4. For now, Ill go mow the god damn lawn.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:30 am
liv_rong wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:55 am Haven't done mine yet but will sometime this morning, whether my wife likes it or not lol.
Actually Ill do it this afternoon when they all leave sometime between 2-4. For now, Ill go mow the god damn lawn.
I've finally worked out how I wanna play this thing & will post the results this evening... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

This is my take. Not at all perfect, but remember it doesnt have to be. Its more about stretching out your boundaries, trying something new and enjoying peoples different takes on the material. We always posted a drums only version for those interested in the details. My low tom mic was fucked up so I didnt use any of that track, I only hit it a few times anyways.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:01 pm This is my take. Not at all perfect, but remember it doesnt have to be. Its more about stretching out your boundaries, trying something new and enjoying peoples different takes on the material. We always posted a drums only version for those interested in the details. My low tom mic was fucked up so I didnt use any of that track, I only hit it a few times anyways.
Pretty good. Timing got a little weird in spots but it's interesting. :like:
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 pm

Pretty good. Timing got a little weird in spots but it's interesting. :like:
Thanks man! Yeah, its kind of a rushed paced for me admittedly and not really in my wheelhouse stylistically wise so it wasnt jsut sitting down and playing it. Playing stuff like this humbles me because listening to a lot of stuff like this doesnt sound difficult but it takes a ton of stamina to pull off well and I just dont have it. My other stuff seems slightly more complex but its way easier for me to play, kind of funny how stuff like that works.
Last edited by liv_rong on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Thanks man! Yeah, its kind of a rushed paced for me admittedly and not really in my wheelhouse stylistically wise so it wasnt jsut sitting down and playing it. Playing stuff like this humbles me because listening to a lot of stuff like this doesnt sound difficult but it takes a ton of stamina to pull of well and I just dont have it. My other stuff seems slightly more complex but its way easier for me to play, kind of funny how stuff like that works.
Agreed. I'm just the opposite but I know what you mean. I could drum this song in my sleep for 4 hours straight, but the technical complex stuff like what you normally do is not my thing at all.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Wow, I just listened to the original and I did it a little different. But that's cool, that's a big part of the fun in this exercise I think. I tend to follow along and accent a lot of stuff in everything I play. On a side note while itching my inside arm I realized I have poison ivy.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Ok fuckers, here's what I did on this song, I made a point not to listen to anyone else's version, including Jdod's...

I did not edit the midi to this at all, I left it just as it was when I finished recording it, warts & all...

For those who are interested, I can upload the midi track, along with the midi note map for Reaper to my Dropbox...If you're interested, lemme know & I'll send you an invite & link for both...I tried to upload the midi track but it wouldn't allow it, might be something Shan can look into...

I'm pretty damn curious to what you guys think about my version since I've only been playing seriously for a few months now...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:01 pm This is my take. Not at all perfect, but remember it doesnt have to be. Its more about stretching out your boundaries, trying something new and enjoying peoples different takes on the material. We always posted a drums only version for those interested in the details. My low tom mic was fucked up so I didnt use any of that track, I only hit it a few times anyways.
Very cool. You didn't go into half time for the verses. You didn't have to, but I did get used to JDod's version. Watch those toms, they're really loud. Cool stuff.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Pretty cool man, there are a few timing issues, but I can tell you're a technical drummer & this isn't your thing at all...I'm the exact opposite, pretty much a straight ahead bash it out caveman drummer...lol...

Pretty cool man, I'm glad I did this as it's already made me improve...I will definitely be doing all of these I can from now on...Good job dude!!!
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Minerman wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 pm Ok fuckers, here's what I did on this song, I made a point not to listen to anyone else's version, including Jdod's...

I did not edit the midi to this at all, I left it just as it was when I finished recording it, warts & all...

For those who are interested, I can upload the midi track, along with the midi note map for Reaper to my Dropbox...If you're interested, lemme know & I'll send you an invite & link for both...I tried to upload the midi track but it wouldn't allow it, might be something Shan can look into...

I'm pretty damn curious to what you guys think about my version since I've only been playing seriously for a few months now...
That's incredible, man. I have students that have been playing for over a year that would not be able to do that well, and I'm a good teacher. :D

Seriously, this is really good. You've only been playing for a few months? Fuck, you're more solid than any Neil Peartikin I've ever met. I'm truly impressed with the amount of practice you must have put it in to get this good. I'm not just blowing smoke up your ass. It's really good, dude. :like: :coolstorybro: :drums:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:01 pm That's incredible, man. I have students that have been playing for over a year that would not be able to do that well, and I'm a good teacher. :D

Seriously, this is really good. You've only been playing for a few months? Fuck, you're more solid than any Neil Peartikin I've ever met. I'm truly impressed with the amount of practice you must have put it in to get this good. I'm not just blowing smoke up your ass. It's really good, dude. :like: :coolstorybro: :drums:
Thanks Rami!!! I was really looking forward to what you, Greg & Liv would have to say about my version of this...I have to admit I put in a lot of time this month behind my kit to get this where it is (4-5 hours a day at times), & I'm pretty confident with myself now...It's just gonna take some time to learn some more fills/accents/whatever, & be able to apply them to a songs...

I've got the module dialed in pretty good now, the main thing that concerns me is having the velocities maxxed while I'm playing...It's took a while, but I'm getting there...

I gotta admit, I absolutely love playing this e-kit, it's waaay more fun than clicking around with a mouse, & I kick myself in the ass everytime I think about how much time I wasted doing that...But, it actually did help my playing because I know my drum vst's really well, & know what velocities they respond to the best...

Thanks again dude.... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:54 pm Ok fuckers, here's what I did on this song, I made a point not to listen to anyone else's version, including Jdod's...

Damn dude, you killed it! You don't sound like a noob at all! Nice work!
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:15 pm Damn dude, you killed it! You don't sound like a noob at all! Nice work!
Thanks man, I gotta give you some credit too, I wasn't gonna do this, but you convinced me it would help me improve & you were right....Thanks man!!!
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very good miner! That was pretty damn solid. Well done.
Rebel Yell