monthly drum challenge?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Minerman

Re: monthly drum challenge?

Post by Minerman »

I'm gonna give it a day or two so I don't shoot anyone else's song down...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

BTW I have everything we did at the other place too if anyone wants a crack at those. Most are not from forum members.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Mon May 15, 2017 9:14 pm BTW I have everything we did at the other place too if anyone wants a crack at those. Most are not from forum members.
Hey dude, go ahead & throw one of those up for the next challenge...I do have a shit-load of songs needing drums, but I'd have to do some work to 'em before I could throw any of 'em up (in case you're wondering, I used Jamstix 3 to program the drums, & with the "pocket" & "timing" functions, the midi doesn't line up on the grid like it should...The midi is either ahead or behind the beat, with the guitars/bass recorded to it, & the click doesn't match...in short, I'm gonna have to re-track about 99% of these songs...)...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Ok, this is one I liked and wanted to have another go at and its pretty straight forward. BPM is 135, 4/4, etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:41 pm Ok, this is one I liked and wanted to have another go at and its pretty straight forward. BPM is 135, 4/4, etc.
Cool dude, I wasn't at home last night & had wondered if you were gonna throw something up...Next one I'll put one of my shitty songs up...Thanks man!!!

So, June 17 sound about right for the cutoff/deadline??? Lemme know... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 3:34 pm
So, June 17 sound about right for the cutoff/deadline??? Lemme know... :minernuggs:
Yeah, whatever works for you.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Have you messed with this at all Minerman?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:54 am Have you messed with this at all Minerman?
Yeah dude, I've got my basic idea down, & I'm smoothing out the rough spots in my playing...Mostly what I need to work on are fills/accents, I'm trying to not sound boring/predictable, but my fill/accent vocabulary ain't what it needs to be......yet...:smiles:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:54 am Have you messed with this at all Minerman?
I've got this figured out, just need smoothing things out, but it's getting there...

Is this one of your songs Liv??? It's pretty cool IMO...Good playing & tone (I like the bass tone on this too dude)... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:38 pm

I've got this figured out, just need smoothing things out, but it's getting there...
:punk:
Minerman wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:38 pm Is this one of your songs Liv??? It's pretty cool IMO...Good playing & tone (I like the bass tone on this too dude)... :minernuggs:
No, not mine. I think about half of the stuff we used at the other site was just other peoples music, meaning no ones music from the site. This one someone found while searching the internet for drumless tracks. Its a pretty cool song, good tones all around.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 6:41 pm Ok, this is one I liked and wanted to have another go at and its pretty straight forward. BPM is 135, 4/4, etc.
I'm actually looking forward to hearing the outcome of this as I can hear pretty cool drum parts in my head for it my head!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I will take part in one of these one day. After this weekend I have no drumming gigs for a few months, so I'll be all set up again.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:06 am I will take part in one of these one day. After this weekend I have no drumming gigs for a few months, so I'll be all set up again.
↑ This will be a big deal for me dude, even more so if you, Liv & Rami all participated...I'd have some great ideas from some damn good drummers to steal ideas/beats/fills from...

I gotta admit, I knew you & Rami were good drummers, but Liv continues to surprise me with his talent behind the kit, he's a solid player... :minernuggs:

I've actually slacked off playing for 4-5 hours a day, but I'm gonna push myself this week to smooth the parts out in this one where I wanna be...This is actually kinda tough for me because it's sorta slow...I'm finding staying in time on a slower song like this is more of a challenge that a fast song...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:06 am I will take part in one of these one day. After this weekend I have no drumming gigs for a few months, so I'll be all set up again.
↑ This will be a big deal for me dude, even more so if you, Liv & Rami all participated...I'd have some great ideas from some damn good drummers to steal ideas/beats/fills from...

I gotta admit, I knew you & Rami were good drummers, but Liv continues to surprise me with his talent behind the kit, he's a solid player... :minernuggs:

I've actually slacked off playing for 4-5 hours a day, but I'm gonna push myself this week to smooth the parts out in this one where I wanna be...This is actually kinda tough for me because it's sorta slow...I'm finding staying in time on a slower song like this is more of a challenge that a fast song...
Dude Liv is a great drummer. I can't do any of that fancy accent shit that he does. Rami too, obviously. Rami is an amazing drummer. Both of those guys can teach you way more than I could. They do things that I don't even understand.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 pm Dude Liv is a great drummer. I can't do any of that fancy accent shit that he does.
Yes sir, I agree 100%, I didn't realize this until this forum started up...He definitely has skills...Impressive to say the least...
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 pmRami too, obviously. Rami is an amazing drummer.
I've known Rami is a kick-ass drummer for a long time, it's just blatantly obvious if you listen to anything he's recorded...
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:42 pmBoth of those guys can teach you way more than I could. They do things that I don't even understand.
Don't sell yourself short dude, while I love the finesse & complicated things that both Liv & Rami are more than capable of playing, I like your style too...To me, it's like you took Henry Rollins' personality & turned it into a style of drumming...No holds barred & no fuckin' apology if anyone doesn't like it, too fuckin' bad...I'm doing what I do & if you don't like it, then fuck you... :punk:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:47 am I'm actually looking forward to hearing the outcome of this as I can hear pretty cool drum parts in my head for it my head!
You need to participate in this too dude, I'm sure nobody would care that you programmed the drums since you don't have a kit...You could learn to use those scripts I uploaded to make programming faster... :biggrin:

The midi loops/fills you already have are a great resource to learn from dude, you can open 'em in the midi editor/piano roll & see what/where the hits are along with hearing 'em...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:01 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:47 am I'm actually looking forward to hearing the outcome of this as I can hear pretty cool drum parts in my head for it my head!
You need to participate in this too dude, I'm sure nobody would care that you programmed the drums since you don't have a kit...You could learn to use those scripts I uploaded to make programming faster... :biggrin:

The midi loops/fills you already have are a great resource to learn from dude, you can open 'em in the midi editor/piano roll & see what/where the hits are along with hearing 'em...
Those fucking scripts are still taunting me! I get so little time at home to actually record, when i'm there I want to crack on!

I know it would make things quicker if I could take the time to work out how to do it.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:03 pm Those fucking scripts are still taunting me! I get so little time at home to actually record, when i'm there I want to crack on!

I know it would make things quicker if I could take the time to work out how to do it.
Once you get them set up, there's really nothing to 'em dude...The hardest part is setting them up as a toolbar button...I almost guarantee if you ever used 'em, you'd never do without 'em again...Those things make editing midi drums 10x faster/easier...

It's kinda funny now, I spent all those years editing midi drums, but now I'm playing 'em, & it's a no-no for me to edit 'em...Of course I do open the piano roll to see where I've fucked up & what I need to work on, but I haven't edited anything in months now...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Aw shucks thanks guys! Someone recently explained drumming in a way I never thought of before, he said it's kind of like skateboarding where everyone has their tricks that hey can pull off and others can't. The reverse is also true. Anyways, I'm just an average dude sloppily cranking my way through songs lol.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I watch drummers a lot when I'm seeing live bands or playing live myself with other bands. I can say with confidence that I have two very important things going in my favor for my kind of music:
1) My meter. I'm pretty steady. I see drummers wavering all over the place, speeding up fills, dragging verses. I hate it. You can set a watch to my drumming. When I hear, or worse, play with a drummer that wanders around, I want to kill him.
2) Stamina. This one's pretty important. I don't play like thrash metal fast, but fast punk rock drumming for long periods of time while maintaining my meter is no problem for me. It makes drumming in my normal buttrock band pretty damn easy. Mid-tempo rock and roll is like cruise control for me. I'm just as fresh at the end of a set as I am at the beginning. I do not ever get gassed.

So that's about it. I'm better than most drummers I see at those two things. Besides those areas, regular drummers stomp all over me. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell