I just could not control myself...

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Minerman

I just could not control myself...

Post by Minerman »

Well dudes, GAS got the best of me & I just pulled the trigger on a new e-kit...It should be here at the end of the week...I'm pretty excited about this, it's been a year since I've bought anything this "big"...

Here's the link, it comes with a Gibraltar kick pedal, throne, headphones, & cheap set of sticks:

http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-dtx532 ... undle.html

I'm sure the extras aren't much as far as quality, but the extra set of 'phones will come in handy, I can leave 'em behind the kit & stop packing my Sennheisers back/forth...They should do just fine for playing/tracking the kit...

I have no idea if the kick pedal is shit or not, but it really doesn't matter, it'll be a whole lot better than the shitty silent pedal I'm using...

Pics to come when it shows up here...

I can't wait 'til it shows up, I'm stoked!!! :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Re: I just could not control myself...

Post by Greg_L »

Haha congrats.

So are you gonna have a Neil Peart sized e-kit now?
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks dude,
Dunno about a Neil Peart size kit, but it will go from this:
Yamaha DTX400.jpg
To this:
Miner's Franken-Kit.png
Even with all the pads you see in the 2nd pic, I'll still have a couple left over as spares, plus the piezo's/triggers in the foot pedals that I can turn into a cowbell/tambourine/whatever...

I'm fuckin' stoked about this too man, I never dreamed I'd enjoy playing drums this much, I love it & I've been playing/practicing for hours everyday...

Oh yeah, almost forgot but I bought a Roc-N-Soc nitro base throne too...The kit comes with a throne, but it looks an awful lot like the one I have (which is shitty to be honest), so might probably flip/trade 'em for something...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

Hey, nice one Miner. Looks awesome! I'm wanting an e-kit some day.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Very nice, Miner! That looks like the Cadillac of the DTX series. I think that you'll love that mesh snare head, they feel really good compared to the rubber pads. Should be a great setup all-around.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Miner, this looks great!

So is your eventual plan to learn on this until you feel like you're getting somewhere then replace it with a real kit?
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks guys, I'm really excited about this, but I'm kicking myself in the ass for not learning to play 2 years ago when I bought the DTX400...

To be honest, I wanted the DTX562K that has all silicone/mesh head toms like the snare, but that pushed the price up about $600 more bucks, so I cheaped out a little, but I could always add different pads later...

I'm still playing the waiting game on getting another pad, but once I do I want to get a real kit, but I might keep the e-kit as well...

I've pretty much figured out how I'm gonna set the e-kit up, it'll look similar to the 2nd pic here, but I'll most likely have mess with it until I figure out what will/won't work...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I found out the drum module that comes with the new kit has the ability to import samples & layer 'em...I didn't realize that was possible, so I could use the cymbals/hi-hats Greg sent me... :biggrin

Another thing I didn't know until I looked through the manual is you can layer & blend the imported files/sounds with the module's sounds...
I think that's pretty cool myself, that might make the internal sounds more realistic...IE: the blending/layering thing might take away some of the "washy" sounds the vst cymbals have...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Fucker. You'got more toms and cymbals than me.

Congrats, man.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

They need to include a big round plastic thing so you can at least pretend you have a kick drum.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:00 pm Fucker. You'got more toms and cymbals than me.

Congrats, man.
Ha!!! I'll still have another cymbal, another tom pad, plus the 2 foot pedals from the DTX400 have piezo's/triggers in 'em...I'm probably gonna take the guts out one of the pedals & make a cowbell out of it... :minernuggs:
Armistice wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 pm They need to include a big round plastic thing so you can at least pretend you have a kick drum.
Yeah dude, I know, it's got that little 8" upright pad, but it's still not like a real kick drum....I am moving up however, the kit comes with a real kick pedal instead of a silent, shitty, Rock-Band quality thing...Same with the hi-hat...

Thanks guys, I'm stoked about this!!!!
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Buy a shitty bass drum and put the pad inside it. You'd be hitting an actual bass drum.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:06 pm Buy a shitty bass drum and put the pad inside it. You'd be hitting an actual bass drum.
I never thought about that Rami, but that would work...I've seen some pics online where people have turned a shitty, cheap acoustic set into an e-kit...Not only did they put the triggers in the shells, a lot of them cut the shells down where they're like 1/3 their original size (depth)...Some of them look great...

The kit will be here Friday, or that's what fed-ex says anyway...Can't wait!!! :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Nice! Congrats. I love new gear.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Good luck with it miner. Best thing I ever did was buy an ekit and learn to play. 2 years in I'm still loving it.
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:17 pm Nice! Congrats. I love new gear.
Thanks dude, I'm really excited about this, & I haven't been this stoked about gear in a pretty good while...

I've mentioned this in another thread, but I'm gonna bring it up again, the DTX502 module has the ability to import samples & layer/blend them with the kit's sounds...This is cool IMO, & might give me yet another option for my tracks...I'd planned on just using the kit to trigger drum vsti's in Reaper, but depending on how they sound, I possibly could use the module's internal sounds, and/or blend 'em with other samples...

Greg was nice enough to record some cymbal/hi-hat samples for me last summer, at varying hit levels that I turned into a very basic Kontakt mini-drum vsti, so I could import his cymbals/hats/whatever to use blended with the module's sounds...

Something else I'm looking forward to is the new throne I bought, Roc N Soc nitro...The cheap throne that came with the DTX400 is terrible & very uncomfortable, especially sitting on it for hours at a time...That shitty throne makes my legs go to sleep, so I ditched it & started using my chair...Everything I've read about the Roc N Soc thrones has been positive/good, so I'm pretty curious to see how much better it is than my old one...
Honestly, it really wouldn't take much of anything to be better than my old throne, a 5-gallon bucket would probably be as good... :facepalm:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Mr Clean wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:13 pm Good luck with it miner. Best thing I ever did was buy an ekit and learn to play. 2 years in I'm still loving it.
Thanks dude....Just curious, are you a Roland user??? I've never played a Roland kit, but they're the standard on how all the other brands compare...

I went with Yamaha because they're a little cheaper, but seem to be as good as Roland, quality-wise...If I hadn't bought the DTX400, I might've went with Roland, but since I'd already sunk about $700 or so in what I have right now, I stuck with Yamaha mainly for compatibility reasons...

At first, I'd planned on just buying a few things at a time to expand my kit, & was gonna buy used Roland mesh head pads for the toms/snare, but I've read that mixing pads/cymbals from different manufacturers usually works ok on single zone pads/cymbals, but are all a little different with how they handle the multi-zone pads/cymbals..

Thanks again dude... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Minerman wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:20 pm Greg was nice enough to record some cymbal/hi-hat samples for me last summer
Yeah, he's a nice guy. I'm an asshole. :D

But seriously, when I got banned from HR, I lost touch with everyone and forgot about that. I was also supposed to do a couple of collabs that I forgot about at that point. Sorry Miner. I know I let you down on that one.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:47 pm
Yeah, he's a nice guy. I'm an asshole. :D

But seriously, when I got banned from HR, I lost touch with everyone and forgot about that. I was also supposed to do a couple of collabs that I forgot about at that point. Sorry Miner. I know I let you down on that one.
Dude, I know what went down, & why you didn't get around to that...You did not let me down Rami, it's all good man...I understand, life happens, so don't think you let me down, ever, because you didn't...

I'm sure everybody here knows how much of a spiteful fucker I am, so to get back at you, I'm gonna ruin your song "Am I Crazy" with one of the vengeful god-awful shitty mixes I'm known for... Or I could record me playing my e-kit to your tracks & tell everyone it was you on the drums :biggrin:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Minerman wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:01 pmI'm sure everybody here knows how much of a spiteful fucker I am, so to get back at you, I'm gonna ruin your song "Am I Crazy" with one of the vengeful god-awful shitty mixes I'm known for...
:lollers: :lollers2: I deserve it.