breaking things

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Farview

Re: breaking things

Post by Farview »

liv_rong wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 10:41 am Fuck, found a tiny crack in my 19" K crash. Shit. I have to rethink what I'm playing now. These cymbals just were not made to be hit this hard. The problem is I love their sound and I'm worried I won't find what I want in a heavier/thicker cymbal. Once these get too far gone I'll hit the shop down the street and grab some to try out. These should last me a few more months at least.
Try Sabian. For some reason, those seemed to last a lot longer. It could just be a trick of my perception...

I would always break Zildjians, I even went through a set of Z's, which look relatively indestructible. (I do realize that the thicker the cymbal is, the more brittle it can be)

Another somewhat expensive way of making cymbals last is to have a bunch of them. If you have 4 crashes instead of 1, you tend to spread the abuse around.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 11:20 am
Bill L wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:31 pm Doesn't second line like I need
second line?

Where you from?
:lollers2:

Oddly enough, born and bred in Rhode Island. But my band plays lots of New Orleans style rock and I need someone that can play Hey Pocky Way without sounding like Alex Van Halen. :shit:
:mrgreen:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah ..... it's pretty hard to find anyone that can really second line anywhere but home.
Sure miss that part of living there ....
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 11:11 am yeah ..... it's pretty hard to find anyone that can really second line anywhere but home.
Sure miss that part of living there ....
Never been but hope to go soon.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

If you break cymbals, you're either a meathead or you have shite technique. And that's all there is to it. ;)
Haggard Musician :mad:
Farview

Post by Farview »

Bubba wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:35 pm If you break cymbals, you're either a meathead or you have shite technique. And that's all there is to it. ;)
I suffer from both at this point. Luckily, now I'm all electronic, so I can just glue them back together. (or get a new one. they are cheaper than real cymbals)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:35 pm If you break cymbals, you're either a meathead or you have shite technique. And that's all there is to it. ;)
I kind of agree. I'm a shit drummer, but my technique is good enough that I can play with punch and power without breaking gear or injuring myself. I've been on the same cymbals for over 10 years and they see A LOT of action.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I agree. Keep in mind though I'm playing on thin jazz cymbals in a loud rock setting.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 11:28 pm I agree. Keep in mind though I'm playing on thin jazz cymbals in a loud rock setting.
Right. I think I mentioned something like that earlier in the thread. I don't doubt that you have the skill and technique to not break cymbals. You're a damn fine drummer. You just need the right cymbals. :drums:
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Got around to replacing those cracked crashes. Went shopping at the drum shop down the street from me and picked up a used 20" and 19" HHX Stage Crashes. I'll probably keep using the cracked ones for practice until they are completely gone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

That perspective makes everything look weird sizes.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

That's what SHE said.