breaking things

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
liv_rong

breaking things

Post by liv_rong »

I cracked a cymbal and it sucks a lot. It is a 17" K Dark Thin Crash. Cracked in the middle too, weird. I usually dont hit too hard but this band Im in forces me to play a little louder and last night we played a show where the sound completely sucked and was involved in a volume war with the band I guess.

Minerman

Re: breaking things

Post by Minerman »

Ouch dude....that's what, about a $250-300 cymbal??? How often does shit like that happen??? I guess it depends on how hard & often you play, but a newbie drummer like me would probably have that happen more than most, just guessing...

I'm wondering because eventually I'm gonna try the jump to real drums & was wondering how much shock I should be prepared for when something like this happens...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I dont think it happens much unless you hit hard and make bad contact with the cymbal. But thin K's are not meant to be bashed hard, which is what happened last night. And Im pretty sure it was one particular cover song we did that almost constant bashing and hard hitting. Otherwise its the first cymbal Ive cracked. Actually I do have an 18" K EFX that has cracks that I bought used with no cracks, but it may have had like micro hair line shit I didnt see. However since it has holes and I use it stacked with another cymbal I always felt like it cracked due to the holes and how I was using it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:24 pm I dont think it happens much unless you hit hard and make bad contact with the cymbal. But thin K's are not meant to be bashed hard, which is what happened last night. And Im pretty sure it was one particular cover song we did that almost constant bashing and hard hitting. Otherwise its the first cymbal Ive cracked. Actually I do have an 18" K EFX that has cracks that I bought used with no cracks, but it may have had like micro hair line shit I didnt see. However since it has holes and I use it stacked with another cymbal I always felt like it cracked due to the holes and how I was using it.
What happens now? Does it still sound just the same and just has a crack in it?

Or do you have to replace it? And if it's still OK to use, what's the prognosis?

As you can see, I know shit about cymbals!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Well it still sounds the same to me, I'm sure it's slightly different but I can't tell the intricacies of that. I'll just keep playing it until it gets worse, which it will definitely get worse and continue to grow. At that time I'll probably make another stack out of it. And then I'll replace it so I have a normal crash still.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's done. You can drill the ends of the crack to hopefully stop it from spreading, but that's like putting a band aid on a bullet wound. That cymbal is toast.

For the rest of you asking...good cymbals rarely crack or break if they're the right cymbal for the job, and you use proper technique. Bashing the shit out of what is essentially a delicate jazz cymbal, like liv's dark thin K crash, will result in breakage. Not that liv is a basher, I know he's a very good drummer, but that's not the right cymbal for what he did to it.

Good felts and post sleeves matter too.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:47 pm It's done. You can drill the ends of the crack to hopefully stop it from spreading, but that's like putting a band aid on a bullet wound. That cymbal is toast.
Well, that sucks for Liv, hope it doesn't hurt too much when you replace it man...
Greg_L wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:47 pmFor the rest of you asking...good cymbals rarely crack or break if they're the right cymbal for the job, and you use proper technique. Bashing the shit out of what is essentially a delicate jazz cymbal, like liv's dark thin K crash, will result in breakage. Not that liv is a basher, I know he's a very good drummer, but that's not the right cymbal for what he did to it.

Good felts and post sleeves matter too.
Thanks for the heads-up dude, I've got a lotta shit to learn about drums, hopefully you guys can coach me up as I go, & I'm sure there'll be a lot more questions from me in the future...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Most of my drummer buddies will drill out the Crack to stop it from spreading. A couple of them will cut out the Crack even it's in the middle of the cymbal. Here's a friend of mine with a piece cut out of the middle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

What Greg said. Good felts and a sleeve. Technique is crucial. You can hit a cymbal hard within reason. I used to break cymbals a lot. I haven't broken one in about 10 years, if not more. One thing is to not tighten it too much, let it swing. Also, try not to hit straight down. Hit it with a slight sweeping motion. Doesn't have to be much of a sweep, but just enough to displace the impact a bit.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bill L wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06 am Most of my drummer buddies will drill out the Crack to stop it from spreading. A couple of them will cut out the Crack even it's in the middle of the cymbal. Here's a friend of mine with a piece cut out of the middle.
Bill, after listening to your live recordings that is exactly what I expected your Drummer to look like.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:18 pm
Bill L wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:06 am Most of my drummer buddies will drill out the Crack to stop it from spreading. A couple of them will cut out the Crack even it's in the middle of the cymbal. Here's a friend of mine with a piece cut out of the middle.
Bill, after listening to your live recordings that is exactly what I expected your Drummer to look like.
:lollers2:

He's not my drummer though we did run a jam a together for a while. He's a great blues/rock drummer. Doesn't second line like I need :mrgreen: I think that's a 50's Ludwig with a 26" kick. He also has a 20's kick that's 28". Massive, wonderful kick drum with the sound/tone to match.

I'll post a pic of my usual drummer and he'll look nothing like you'd expect. The bass player on the hand is exactly as you'd expect. :lollers2:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Well there you go. You learn something every day. Up until now I'd thought a cymbal was just a shiny thin piece of metal that would be pretty much unbreakable... :drums:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:19 pm Well there you go. You learn something every day. Up until now I'd thought a cymbal was just a shiny thin piece of metal that would be pretty much unbreakable... :drums:
Man, there are some crazy nuances to cymbal size, construction, metal type, etc.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

Technique is everything. I started out breaking cymbals a lot. Then I didn't break any. After a 9 month hiatus, where I didn't play at all, I broke 6 cymbals in 1 rehearsal.

That was expensive.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

So I imagine walking into a drum store and randomly thrashing the cymbals is quite frowned upon then.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:17 pm So I imagine walking into a drum store and randomly thrashing the cymbals is quite frowned upon then.
The good ones are not often set up in a way that you can just bash them to death. You gotta get one out, put it on a stand, then bash.
Rebel Yell
RatsoRizzo

Post by RatsoRizzo »

I've got a 2-3 inch crack on my top hi-hat, I drilled it a while back but the fucker went right through my drill hole.
Got me to lighten up on the hats though.
Farview

Post by Farview »

I put the bottom hat on top. Bottom ones tend to be thicker and have a tighter 'tick'. At one point I was using two bottom hats together.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Fuck, found a tiny crack in my 19" K crash. Shit. I have to rethink what I'm playing now. These cymbals just were not made to be hit this hard. The problem is I love their sound and I'm worried I won't find what I want in a heavier/thicker cymbal. Once these get too far gone I'll hit the shop down the street and grab some to try out. These should last me a few more months at least.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Bill L wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:31 pm Doesn't second line like I need
second line?

Where you from?