Favorite Drum Hardware???

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Minerman

Favorite Drum Hardware???

Post by Minerman »

Hey guys,
I've barely got my feet wet with any kind of "real" drum hardware, the ride cymbal came with an 18" boom, & of course, it's a lot better than the un-adjustable little angled arms that came with my e-kit...

So, I'm planning on buying a couple of these:
GIR SC4425MB.jpg
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... 425MB-LIST

I don't need the whole stand, as I'll be mounting 'em to my rack, but I'm wondering if you drummer dudes have a preference over one brand or the other, & if so, why you like those better than others...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Re: Favorite Drum Hardware???

Post by Greg_L »

That Gibraltar stuff is fine. Pulse, PDP, it's all good enough to for home use. That stuff only breaks or wears out for gigging drummers.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Yeah I use mostly cheap hardware and its been fine for me. It a mix of mostly PDP boom/straight stands and one DW thingy thats great for micro adjustments if you're anal like me. Other than that just a cheapish Tama high hat stand and a cheap Pearl kick pedal.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks guys, I'd never even heard of PDP or Pulse, so I should be able to shop around & find what I need a bit cheaper than I thought...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I have a few of these and they are pretty good. Convertible from boom to straight too. Greta price.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:49 pm I have a few of these and they are pretty good. Convertible from boom to straight too. Greta price.
Thanks dude, I'd only need the boom/upper half to mount it to my drum rack....But, when I use both modules, I'm getting double-triggering at times, & using a full stand or separated rack may be the only way to remedy this...It's weird because as long as I use only 1 module (doesn't matter which either), the double-trigger thing doesn't happen...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Bboot

Post by Bboot »

I like the Tama cymbal booms. They use a disc based tilt adjustment, so you can angle it as slightly as you want without worrying about if the teeth are going to land in the same spot or not. They also fold up real small if you need to store them or travel with them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bboot wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:06 am I like the Tama cymbal booms. They use a disc based tilt adjustment, so you can angle it as slightly as you want without worrying about if the teeth are going to land in the same spot or not. They also fold up real small if you need to store them or travel with them.
I have some Mapex hardware that works the same way, but it uses a ball and socket. It's like a mechanical hip joint. Micro adjustments are no problem.
Rebel Yell
Bboot

Post by Bboot »

I have some mapex stands too, they're great.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Instead of starting a new thread, I'll just bump this with a question for all you drummers...

Here's the deal for me, I've got my e-kit set up about how I want (for now...hahaha), but no matter what settings I change in my modules, the ride cymbal gets triggered when I don't want...Basically, it's picking up vibrations going through the rack when I hit my tom pads...I can set the module where it doesn't do this, but I lose the dynamics on my ride...

So, my solution is to use a small cymbal stand, which would take care of this because it wouldn't be attached to my rack...But, the problem is the stand's base would most likely be too big (I'm assuming they're about the size of my hi-hat stand), so I may use a snare stand instead because they seem like the base/legs are much smaller...

Just a guess-timate, how big/wide is the snare stand you guys use???

I have the cymbal boom(s), I just need a small stand to use...Any help???
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My snare stand footprint is about a 15" triangle.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:57 pm My snare stand footprint is about a 15" triangle.
Thanks man, measuring my hi-hat stand from one leg to the next is about the same, so I'm not sure if a snare stand would be much smaller than a cymbal stand, as far as how wide the base is...

Looking at pics, some snare stands do look smaller, but I really have no idea because they're pics...If I had 'em in front of me, it'd be a lot easier...
Sonor SS477.jpg
This stand seems like the bottom/legs are smaller than the cradle/top, but again, it's a picture & I'm just guessing on the size...I did a quick search but didn't really find out anything about this particular stand...

I wouldn't even need the cradle/top, I'd just stick one of my cymbal booms down into it...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The legs spread out. They can be very narrow or very wide. Same with cymbal stands. As the legs slide down they get wider. There's a max measurement, but the minimum can be wherever you want it.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:27 pm The legs spread out. They can be very narrow or very wide. Same with cymbal stands. As the legs slide down they get wider. There's a max measurement, but the minimum can be wherever you want it.
Duh....Boy, I'm a real fuckin' hillbilly, ain't I????? :biggrin:

I might hit ebay to see what I can find, I don't need anything new, just something to help solve the issue with my ride cymbal triggering when it shouldn't...

I've tried all kinds of different things with my rack, but as long as it's connected together, it's gonna keep doing the false triggering...

Which it's not so big of an issue to where it stops me from playing, but I just don't wanna edit the midi anymore, ever...I spent years doing that shit & don't wanna do it anymore unless I'm forced to...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I don't know how hard you hit or what angle your ride will be at but if I don't have my stands open all the way shit would be falling over all the time. Now real cymbals are heavier and I have a lot of mine out using the boom so there's that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:51 am I don't know how hard you hit or what angle your ride will be at but if I don't have my stands open all the way shit would be falling over all the time. Now real cymbals are heavier and I have a lot of mine out using the boom so there's that.
When I play my drums in 4-pc mode, I have the ride out over the kick...like most people normally do. That requires using a boom stand. My ride is super heavy. I have to make sure the boom arm runs directly in-line over the stand's leg or it will easily topple over.
Rebel Yell