I'm officially an e-drumming fool...

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Minerman

I'm officially an e-drumming fool...

Post by Minerman »

Just as the title says, I really, really like playing my e-kit...Who could've guessed this could be so much fun, while improving/learning at the same time???

Of course, I'll never be as good as a lot of you guys here, but I am improving a little every day...I still can't (and probably never will be able to) play a lot of complicated things, but most of my songs don't need it anyway...

My ride cymbal was supposed to be here today, but it didn't show up...Hopefully it'll be here Monday...I can already see how the 3-zones are gonna help, & I'm pretty stoked about it...

I haven't had this much fun with my music in quite a while, & I'm kicking myself in the ass because I didn't jump into this a long time ago...

E-Drums 1-28-2017

Look over the strange/weird guitar sounds on this, they were recorded in 2009 I think, a buddy of mine used his Line 6 Variax for some of them...The crunch/lead guitars were recorded with a POD X3Live...

The thing that I'm really proud about is what I played on the e-kit is what you hear, no editing was done to the midi at all... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Lt. Bob

Re: I'm officially an e-drumming fool...

Post by Lt. Bob »

wow .... they sound good man!

I'm pretty impressed.
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

/makes note that minor has a live midi kit :D

miles better than programming eh! nice work :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fuck, now I'm like the 6th best drummer in here. Dammit.

Anyway, miner, that sounds pretty dang tootin good.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:25 pm Fuck, now I'm like the 6th best drummer in here. Dammit.

and WAY down there in the looks dept.!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:27 pm and WAY down there in the looks dept.!
True, but in my real world of middle aged punk rockers and burnout metalheads, I'm the handsome one, so it's all relative. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks guys!!!!!! I've came a long way in just a couple/few weeks here, but I'm determined not to edit the midi afterward...When I bought the kit, that was the plan, to half-ass play, then "fix it later", & to me, it's cheating...
I've already got like $500 in just the kit (around $600 counting the shit that's on the way), plus a shit-load of $$$ in samples (I'm really ashamed to say how much I've spent on drum vst's guys...you'd be shocked...just guessing, I've got like 40-50 installation discs of samples/kits/programs), so I'm sticking to my guns here...If I'd buckled down 2 years ago, I'd be pretty damn good by now, but...

I do have to have a completely different mix while I'm tracking, with the drums pretty damn loud mix-wise, but I'm learning...Matter of fact, I'm about to bash on 'em for a couple more hours...

I had trouble finding a click that works for me, but I've got something now that does pretty good...I was using Reaper's stock metronome with different sounds (I've tried all kinds of different sounds btw), but the thing that works for me of all things, is a triangle sample from EZ Drummer... :lollers:

Playing the e-kit is a hell of a lot faster than programming those fuckin' things, a whole lot less stressful aggravating, & it's actually a lot of fun for me...Of course, I'm still doing simple-simon beats with even simpler fills, but I gotta start somewhere...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Well, I'm impressed. You play that shit? That's solid as fucker. You playing to a click?

Snare sounds great.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:07 pm Well, I'm impressed. You play that shit? That's solid as fucker. You playing to a click?

Snare sounds great.
Thank you Rami!!!! Yes, playing to a click...I'm still in the "learn-as-I-go" stage with the levels of everything (including the click) when playing/recording, but I think I've found something (a damn triangle sample...lol) that works for me...I tried a bunch of different sounds with Reaper's metronome, but it was either too much, or not enough...

Thanks again dude, like I've mentioned before, you're a big inspiration to me...Along with Greg, I think both of you guys are just awesome drummers...

I can't remember how many takes it took to get this one, but I enjoy it, so that makes a big difference...Thanks again dude!!!
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Miner, that's awesome. Well done, mate. I need to add one of these to my (long) shopping list.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:19 pm Miner, that's awesome. Well done, mate. I need to add one of these to my (long) shopping list.
Thanks Jdude, the kit I have cost me $400 new, & came with a shitty throne...I had to buy some sticks & a long usb cable to get goin', which only cost like $20-30 more...

It's not terrible (actually, I wouldn't know the difference to be honest), & is a decent starter kit...The module is expandable somewhat, you can use a 3-zone snare & add another pad through the kick input (IE: for a tom or cymbal), but that's about it...

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-DTX400K-LIST

If you do buy a kit, I recommend finding a used one, you can probably knock off 1/3 of the retail price if you shop around...

Just remember the module you choose will pretty much dictate what kind of pads you'll need...Some pads/cymbals work with other companies modules, & some don't...Just a word of caution there dude...

So far, I've had pretty good luck out of the Yamaha stuff, even the older module I bought seems to work really good & there are deals out there if you look around...

Thanks again dude!!!
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Drum kits have "thrones"? Seat? Stool?

Throne seems a bit grand.... :biggrin:

Well done miner - we'll get you MIDI drumming for all us programmers, and just sending the MIDI file over... :lollers:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:35 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:19 pm Miner, that's awesome. Well done, mate. I need to add one of these to my (long) shopping list.
Thanks Jdude, the kit I have cost me $400 new, & came with a shitty throne...I had to buy some sticks & a long usb cable to get goin', which only cost like $20-30 more...

It's not terrible (actually, I wouldn't know the difference to be honest), & is a decent starter kit...The module is expandable somewhat, you can use a 3-zone snare & add another pad through the kick input (IE: for a tom or cymbal), but that's about it...

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-YAM-DTX400K-LIST

If you do buy a kit, I recommend finding a used one, you can probably knock off 1/3 of the retail price if you shop around...

Just remember the module you choose will pretty much dictate what kind of pads you'll need...Some pads/cymbals work with other companies modules, & some don't...Just a word of caution there dude...

So far, I've had pretty good luck out of the Yamaha stuff, even the older module I bought seems to work really good & there are deals out there if you look around...

Thanks again dude!!!
I have played on an e kit a few times and have considered it... I'll have to check whether it's above or below a divorce lawyer on my list of things I need... Will be a long way off if I do it, but then the tech is only gonna get cheaper and better isn't it.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:58 pm I have played on an e kit a few times and have considered it... I'll have to check whether it's above or below a divorce lawyer on my list of things I need... Will be a long way off if I do it, but then the tech is only gonna get cheaper and better isn't it.
Well Jdude, I gotta say that Gerg gave me great advice a little while before my divorce...
I'd mentioned a few times that noise was an issue because of my ex, & he suggested that I "get another wife"... :minernuggs:

That's the big reason I was trying to keep quiet all the fuckin' time, it was the woman I was married to...If I cracked off a popcorn fart she'd have a fuckin' fit...Now I'm not sayin' that's the only reason we split, but, it was part of it...Best thing that ever happened to me, except the first divorce I went through...

I've found some good deals on E-bay dude, there's a guy here in the states that sells pretty good gear for quite a bit less than you'd pay new...The cymbal I just bought from him is $100 new...The cymbal stand/boom is about $50 new...the damn clamp to attach the boom to my rack is like $25 new...Throw shipping & possibly taxes on top of that, & it's basically $200...I bought the exact same cymbal, boom, & clamp for $75 shipped...

Now I dunno if all his stuff is in good shape or not, but he's been selling on ebay for years...The module I got from him looks & works like a brand new one...

You could find a used kit to start out, & upgrade/add to it a little at a time dude, that's what I'm doing...Another snare will be next on my list, & that should pretty much wind it up...Sure, I can play what I have, but it'll be really nice to just play, & not have to switch anything in the daw afterwards (like change a ride bell to an edge for instance...the 3-zone cymbal will trigger all the articulations right out of the gate)...

Good luck dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Sounds great Miner! I still have to cheat all the time with quantization every time I try to record MIDI drums.

This is my e-Kit as of this evening. I like the smaller footprint, but I'm really having trouble with the connectivity. And it's not very convenient as far as reaching all of the kit pieces from the throne.
20170129_173828 (Large).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RatsoRizzo

Post by RatsoRizzo »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:45 pmI like the smaller footprint, but I'm really having trouble with the connectivity. And it's not very convenient as far as reaching all of the kit pieces from the throne.
I would expect that setup to sound kinda boxy.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

LOL, indeed it does sound boxy :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

At least you can go "of course" when someone says your snare sounds like a cardboard box...
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Hahaha :D

Actually, have you guys seen this thing? It's actually a cardboard box drum kit: https://www.obilab.com/