Lets see them kits of yours!

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
rammer24

Re: Lets see them kits of yours!

Post by rammer24 »

miroslav wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:48 am Is it circumcised...how can you tell?
They're male. That was my point. They're circumsized beyond belief. :D
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

Speaking of that...I had a male cat awhile back, poor guy, had a lot of urinary blockage stuff for about a year, as male cats are prone to.
They had to remove everything...turned him into a transgender cat....we were going to call him Caitlyn. :D
No, but seriously...he did have to get it all removed, and then he never had any more blockage.
It was that...or death. He went like that for about 14 years more...then got too old, went deaf, blind...and the end.
Roman

Post by Roman »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:59 pm
Minerman wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:21 pm Rami: Another thing that makes you one cool dude is your cat watching over you from the window...
Yeah, I love my dudes. Here' the other one. He usually chills out while I record. Actually I just realized this is my profile pic.

IMG_0772.JPG
Yeah thats a fat lazy fucker. :D

What are those monitors on those cans??

Nice speaker stands, btw. You steal that idea from Pensado with his paint cans?
:D
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Roman wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:45 pm
rammer24 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:59 pm

Yeah, I love my dudes. Here' the other one. He usually chills out while I record. Actually I just realized this is my profile pic.

IMG_0772.JPG
Yeah thats a fat lazy fucker. :D

What are those monitors on those cans??

Nice speaker stands, btw. You steal that idea from Pensado with his paint cans?
:D
He's actually not lazy. Pretty agile and active.But cats sleep about 16 hours a day, so it's easy to catch them being lazy.

Those speakers are JBL's, but I can't remember the model number. I literally only bought them because of the look. They do sound good, but I bought them because of the gold. I love them.

I didn't know Pensado did that with his speakers. The only thing I know about him is that he knows what he's doing, but he uses the most horrendous music in his instructional vids. :D I have mine filled with old clothes.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Yeah he had for the longest time a set of ns10s on paint cans. Don't know if they are empty or filled with something.

He IS a man who knows what he's doing, but damn if I can stomach watching his videos. Boring, monotonous, and the music he uses drives me nuts
. :D
rayc

Post by rayc »

A cat that is childish is a Kiiddy cat. A cat that likes drummers is a Kitty cat and Rami's Jewish cat is a Yiddy cat.
Those mix video are the perfect example of those that do not being able to teach.
Cheers
rayc
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

My kit. It's a mid 70's Gretsch, I believe in Black Onyx though it has faded to green. Rack toms are 12" (actually a Gretsch Blackhawk that I had re-wrapped and purchased for $10) and a 14", floor toms are 15" and 18", a 22" kick. The snare is a Ludwig Acrolite. The crash cymbals are 16" Crash Custom A and a 16" Projection Crash Custom A and a 20" Meinl Classics Custom Medium Ride. The high hats were bought for an open jam so I didn't spend any money on them. I think I paid $40 for 2 bottom cymbals but no one has managed to break them (which was my fear and why I didn't spend any money on them). As I'm not a drummer this equipment is well beyond my abilities but I do love having it around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Score (in pages so far): Cats - 2, Drums - 1

I have a dog. My family had cats growing up; I'd probably have one now, but spouse is allergic.

---

Last year I owned a cheapo 5-piece kit I got off craigslist. Bought and sold it within the same year. I'm not a drummer, but thought I wanted to give it a try. Glad I ran through that little experiment, for it taught me a lot: how to play a basic rock/pop beat at a moderate tempo, that I probably need to spend as many hours learning/practicing drums as I have all the other instruments I play if I want to be any good, *and* that I don't want a full-size drum kit.

But I do want to be able to play and record drum parts to go along with my tunes. My current plan is to slowly build up a bop-like kit - smaller number of pieces, smaller drums. Snare, 18" bass drum (not 16" like the small kits you can buy, because I want it to still *sound* like a bass drum), hats, ride, maybe toms and possibly a crash. I can't decide if I want: no toms at all, or high rack tom only, or floor tom only, or both a single rack tom and a floor tom. If you have recommendations, shoot - I'm all ears.

The only complete part so far is a 13" snare (which I chopped/rebuilt from a used tom and for which I posted about at anot"H"er fo"R"um).

About a week ago I bought a broken hi-hat stand for $10 - no spring, no rod, no clutch, just the tripod base, pedal, and the telescoping section in the middle. This past weekend I acquired various bits of hardware at home depot and hacked something together - the pedal moves the rod up and down (without too much squeaking!). Maybe within another week or two I'll have acquired a clutch and a pair of cheap-ish hats (Sabian B8s?).
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

How did i miss such an enthralling cat / dog debate? I'm usually all over that topic. :(
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

How many lugs does that snare have? 4? 6? Hard to tell from the pic.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:49 pm How many lugs does that snare have? 4? 6? Hard to tell from the pic.
I'm guessing 6, since we can see 3.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Makes sense. Science!
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Shit. I thought it was math. :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I had a 6-lug snare once. That thing was hard to tune.
Rebel Yell
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

It like one of those jokes...
How many lugs does it take to tune a drum? :P
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Can confirm - 6 lugs. Because I'm not a drummer (I don't even play one on TV), I don't know if it's hard to tune or not. But here's how it sounds -
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

So I've added another piece - bass drum. I bought another cheapo kit a month and a half ago that had an 18" bass drum. It needed some/lots of work.

BEFORE (not mine, but mine looked exactly like this when purchased)
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 10.37.14 PM.png
(Love that wrap? How 'bout them lugs? :frown: There were only 6; there are 8 on a side now)

I took off that horrible iridescent blue wrap (heated/softened with a hair dryer) and scrubbed for hours with an acetone-soaked rag to strip off all the adhesive. The shell was basswood or maybe poplar ply; really light colored and pretty soft. I cut the shell down from 16" to about 13" deep, cut a bearing edge on the now-flat side, attached mahogany veneer, then stained and covered the veneer with polyurethane. Bought some hardware and a new head (re-used one of the existing heads for the resonant side), measured and drilled new holes, and put it all back together. (Not necessarily in that order)

AFTER (Please excuse the horrible photo quality; quick snap w/my ancient cell phone)
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 10.50.51 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:29 am So I've added another piece - bass drum. I bought another cheapo kit a month and a half ago that had an 18" bass drum. It needed some/lots of work.

BEFORE (not mine, but mine looked exactly like this when purchased)
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 10.37.14 PM.png

(Love that wrap? How 'bout them lugs? :frown: There were only 6; there are 8 on a side now)

I took off that horrible iridescent blue wrap (heated/softened with a hair dryer) and scrubbed for hours with an acetone-soaked rag to strip off all the adhesive. The shell was basswood or maybe poplar ply; really light colored and pretty soft. I cut the shell down from 16" to about 13" deep, cut a bearing edge on the now-flat side, attached mahogany veneer, then stained and covered the veneer with polyurethane. Bought some hardware and a new head (re-used one of the existing heads for the resonant side), measured and drilled new holes, and put it all back together. (Not necessarily in that order)

AFTER (Please excuse the horrible photo quality; quick snap w/my ancient cell phone)
Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 10.50.51 PM.png
Wow, pretty impressive!
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Definitely. Great job. :like: :coolstorybro:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Fucking smoke machines.
Rebel Yell