Acoustic Drums for Metal

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

Acoustic Drums for Metal

Post by JD01 »

I don't often post in drums but this just popped up in my inbox - might be some useful tips in it for you:
JD01

Re: Acoustic Drums for Metal

Post by JD01 »

I've actually found some ideas at the end of this in mixing overheads, toms and reverb bit that I might try as a way of getting some of the mud/darkness out of my mixes.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's like I wrote that myself. The centerline through the kit and overhead placement has been my M.O. for years.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:42 pm It's like I wrote that myself. The centerline through the kit and overhead placement has been my M.O. for years.
I was curious as to what you thought of it as his approach is very metal - but I suppose getting a good drum sound has a lot of carry overs whether you're doing death metal or lounge music.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:44 pm
I was curious as to what you thought of it as his approach is very metal - but I suppose getting a good drum sound has a lot of carry overs whether you're doing death metal or lounge music.
"Metal" drums aren't any different from regular rock drums besides being way faker.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I didn't read the whole thing yet though.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I haven't read this yet, but I have watched all of Glenn's videos about drums. I think he's got a good solid base of experience and technique that would apply to just about any genre of drums. I'm not crazy about his "steady rim shots" on the snare thing...that may be just a metal thing. But his mic selection, mic technique, and tuning advice has always struck me as good all-around advice for recording drums.

Damn, I miss my drums. I hardly had time enough to spend with them before dismantling them and stacking them in the basement of the new house.