Sabian SR2 Cymbals

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Audio Monster

Sabian SR2 Cymbals

Post by Audio Monster »

Yes I know the back story behind these but I really like them.

In fact, I've re-brassed my kit with them entirely, with the exception of the hats that are and always have been Sabian AA 14. Rock Hats. I'm not a drummer but I like the way the SR2's record and I'll admit to really liking the way they look, not that aesthetics matter. Can't say I'm a fan of the thins so the two crashes (16 and a 18) are mediums and the ride is a heavy. Oh, wait, the 9' splash is a thin.
rayc

Re: Sabian SR2 Cymbals

Post by rayc »

Sybian?
Cheers
rayc
jonny deep

Post by jonny deep »

rayc wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:46 amSybian?
Don't mind if I do.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think these are mystery cymbals. People trade cymbals in, they get refurbished, and resold a SR2s...or something like that. You could be getting a really really good cymbal that's been stripped and refinished, or you could be getting a trash can lid. No one knows until you hear it! I could have that all wrong, that's just my current understanding of SR2s.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:29 am I think these are mystery cymbals. People trade cymbals in, they get refurbished, and resold a SR2s...or something like that. You could be getting a really really good cymbal that's been stripped and refinished, or you could be getting a trash can lid. No one knows until you hear it! I could have that all wrong, that's just my current understanding of SR2s.
From a business perspective that is a genius move. Depending on pricing hard to say how it would work from a consumer perspective.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm From a business perspective that is a genius move. Depending on pricing hard to say how it would work from a consumer perspective.
From my drummer's perspective, it's not worth it. For the same price as a "new" refurb SR2, I can get a very good used cymbal that is a known brand and model. Maybe it won't be as pretty, but pretty doesn't matter with cymbals.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

That is more than a fair assessment.
:happytrees:
Audio Monster

Post by Audio Monster »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:03 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm From a business perspective that is a genius move. Depending on pricing hard to say how it would work from a consumer perspective.
From my drummer's perspective, it's not worth it. For the same price as a "new" refurb SR2, I can get a very good used cymbal that is a known brand and model. Maybe it won't be as pretty, but pretty doesn't matter with cymbals.
Yeah. I did, take my time trying out various rides and crashes before committing to anything. The only lemon in the bunch might be the splash.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

That’s cool it works for you, and that’s what matters. I’ve never heard one IRL but the videos I’ve seen are all bright and clangy to me. Why do they re-lathe them? Why not just sell them as used cymbals direct from the factory? If I heard one at a shop that sounded good and the price was right I’d consider it just like any other cymbal.