Drum kits...

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Minerman

Drum kits...

Post by Minerman »

Hey dudes,
Wondering what your kit(s) are comprised of over here, Ludwig shells, Paiste cymbals, or 5-gallon buckets with triggers like mine??? I know most of you have pics posted, but my eyesight ain't what it once was, & I can't tell for sure what's what...

Throw me a list up here dudes, gonna try to make some Superior 3 Rebel Kits... :biggrin:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Re: Drum kits...

Post by Greg_L »

Mapex Pro-M shells
Paiste 2002 and RUDE cymbals
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

Before I moved into a neighborhood, my kit was an 80's Ludwig Rocker with two 24" kicks, 14x6.5 chrome over wood snare and six toms.
Cymbals were mostly Sabian, except for a couple effects cymbals which were cheap Wuhans.

I had several other snares...Supraphonics (both 5 and 6.5 deep), a couple Pearl free floaters with various shells, a premier heavy rock nine and a couple others that I can't think of right now.

Now that I don't have the studio, live in a neighborhood and don't have a reason to play, I have a Roland VDrum kit.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

7 piece "Tempus" kit. Not a very popular brand. I bought them in the early 90's, I think. I love them, they're fibreglass shells and extra long toms (12X10, 14X12, etc....).

I have a Ludwig Supraphonic snare on the kit. I've always been a Sabian guy, but I bought a pair of Paiste 14" Sound-edge hi-hats a few months ago.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:22 pm I have a Ludwig Supraphonic snare on the kit.
When i found out this is what you used i tried it out in my virtual kit. it doesn;t even come close to yours but it sounded pretty good. I can't recall what my last choice was for a snare though.
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Pearl Masters Studio, mix of Zildjian K's and Sabian HHX cymbals, snare is a custom job.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks guys,
I know some of the pieces some of you guys use, like Greg & Rami both have a Supraphonic snare...Greg uses Paiste cymbals, & Rami uses mostly Sabian, but I had no idea what some of you use, even with the pics here...

Superior 3 doesn't have a huge selection of things, but IMO, that's a good thing because I think they went for quality, instead of quantity...Of course, sound is subjective, & is different from one person to the next, but some of the kits sound really, really good to me...

There's a couple Ludwig presets that are astonishing to me, they capture the vibe & a lot of the sound of Bohnam's drums from way back when...The kick drum especially just sounds like that to me...I personally really don't care for that particular kick sound for some things, but again, it's pretty damn realistic, especially compared to some of the other drum samples I've got...

I've yet to even try the "Tracker" in SD3, but I'm gonna throw some of your raw drums into it in a little while to see how well it does the audio > midi thing...I have the old Toontrack Drumtracker (which that's what the new feature in SD3 is based on), & it did ok on the shells, but was tedious as hell for something like a hi-hat or ride cymbal...I did get some pretty decent results from the old program a few years ago, but it was a lot of work, & took a lot of time to do...

Thanks again dudes...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:59 pm When i found out this is what you used i tried it out in my virtual kit. it doesn;t even come close to yours but it sounded pretty good. I can't recall what my last choice was for a snare though.
That's a tough one because you can take 10 "name" drummers that use Supraphonics and they'll sound completely different from each other. Some will be deader, some will ring more, some will be tuned higher, lower, etc....depends on the skins, the sticks, the drummer. I don't think there's a Supraphonic "sound" really.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:46 pm
That's a tough one because you can take 10 "name" drummers that use Supraphonics and they'll sound completely different from each other. Some will be deader, some will ring more, some will be tuned higher, lower, etc....depends on the skins, the sticks, the drummer. I don't think there's a Supraphonic "sound" really.
To me that's the beauty of the Supraphonic. It doesn't care. Any heads, any tuning, it always sounds great.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:33 pm To me that's the beauty of the Supraphonic. It doesn't care. Any heads, any tuning, it always sounds great.
+1

That is why it is the most recorded snare drum in history.

John Bonham, Ian Paise, Frankie Banali and Lars Ulric all used the supraphonic and don't sound anything like each other.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I'm thinking about buying a kit to keep at home, as the loin fruit has taken all his stuff away with him. What I would like most is a Yamaha recording custom in rock sizes - 10, 12, 16, 22. Used shell packs are in the region of £1000 - £1500, at least for the shallower shells, which are most sought after.
My question is, does anybody have experience of the Stage Custom set? it's about a third of the price but gets good reviews. I think a Recording Custom would be an awful indulgence given the amount of use it would be put to, but they hold their value and I absolutely love the sound.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've got a Stage Custom Birch. I'm not much of a drummer, but I can at least do a few basic things...so my perspective is from a total drum n00b.

Honestly, I think it's a stellar kit. I got the smaller sized kit so my toms are 10, 12, 14. And I think that the kick is an 18, maybe a 20. Bigger would be better for rock, but I can still get a great recorded rock tone out of it. It seems at least reasonably tolerant of being tuned a little low. It's a beautiful looking kit, and as far as I can tell the shells are great. I think it sounds very good, especially when you find the right heads for your sound. I think it's a great value in a midrange kit.

I haven't played the damned thing in over 6 months since I don't have adequate space in my new house. So it sits all lonely, stacked in a pile in the basement, waiting for the day when I build a new studio room that can accommodate it. I miss it. Great, now I'm sad.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Nice one, Tad, that's the sort of thing I was hoping for. There was an extremely nice Mapex Meridian birch came up the other day for half the price of a used YRC shell pack. I could probably get decent results from something even less promising, but you know when you get GAS for something? :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm not a fan of the 10" tom. I'm one of those dinosaurs that thinks bigger is better with drums. Big toms, big kick, deep snare, big cymbals.
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

10 inch tom is fine, if you have 12, 13, 14, 15, but 16 and 18 toms to go with it.

My favorite setup was 10, 12, 14 rack toms and a 16 floor. I had an 18 set up, but almost never hit it...so I stopped dragging it around with me.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Agreed that the 10" is pretty hi-pitched for rock. I was really concerned about total footprint of the kit in my room. Turns out that I could have accommodated the bigger kit (22" kick and bigger toms) with only a marginally larger footprint. Oh well, I still love that little kit. Besides, I look like a giant behind it :D
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:34 pm I'm not a fan of the 10" tom. I'm one of those dinosaurs that thinks bigger is better with drums. Big toms, big kick, deep snare, big cymbals.
I'm the same. 12 and 13, or 12 and 14 toms would be my preference for rock music, but higher toms help with other styles, I think.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This one is in Kent, but he doesn't want much for delivery. Just realised that when searching eBay for drums you can search by shell material so I searched by Birch
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pearl-Vision ... SwO9JaOPy8
Guy only wants 25 quid to deliver it.

You're probably in a completely different market for drums than I have ever shopped in though!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:00 am This one is in Kent, but he doesn't want much for delivery. Just realised that when searching eBay for drums you can search by shell material so I searched by Birch
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pearl-Vision ... SwO9JaOPy8
Guy only wants 25 quid to deliver it.

You're probably in a completely different market for drums than I have ever shopped in though!

I'd want something at least as good-sounding as Frank's Tama, but that one is still only an intermediate kit. I'm still very much in love with the pinstripe head sound as well, though Frank has coated ambassadors on at the mo.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:12 am I'd want something at least as good-sounding as Frank's Tama, but that one is still only an intermediate kit. I'm still very much in love with the pinstripe head sound as well, though Frank has coated ambassadors on at the mo.
Yeah - that's fair enough. I've only had two drum kits and both have been shite kits with decent heads, slightly upgraded hardware and hi hats. I've never had "decent" cymbals. In hindsight learning a thing or two about drum tuning would have been handy.