Drum kits...

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Bubba

Re: Drum kits...

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:23 am Yeah - that's fair enough. I've only had two drum kits and both have been shite kits with decent heads, slightly upgraded hardware and hi hats. I've never had "decent" cymbals. In hindsight learning a thing or two about drum tuning would have been handy.
I'm not a great drum tuner, but I'm getting there. it's taken me a while to get the kick drum tuned right for my room. Frank is getting very, very good at tuning his snares, and micing the underside has been a revelation to me. All the wires I could want, leaving me to eq the top mic for plenty of punch. Cymbals will be the bugbear, although there's a great deal on the Zildjian A custom set. 20" ride, 16" crash, 14" hi-hats and a FREE 18" crash for under £600.
Haggard Musician :mad:
Farview

Post by Farview »

For rock and metal, you don't really need a top of the line kit to get a good, usable sound. Once you get beyond the toy drum quality, you are good to go.

I've recorded great sounding albums using Pacific drums, tama rockstars, pearl exports, etc... It's all about the heads and tuning.

After that, decent hats would be the next thing to spend money on.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:44 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:23 am Yeah - that's fair enough. I've only had two drum kits and both have been shite kits with decent heads, slightly upgraded hardware and hi hats. I've never had "decent" cymbals. In hindsight learning a thing or two about drum tuning would have been handy.
I'm not a great drum tuner, but I'm getting there. it's taken me a while to get the kick drum tuned right for my room. Frank is getting very, very good at tuning his snares, and micing the underside has been a revelation to me. All the wires I could want, leaving me to eq the top mic for plenty of punch. Cymbals will be the bugbear, although there's a great deal on the Zildjian A custom set. 20" ride, 16" crash, 14" hi-hats and a FREE 18" crash for under £600.
I've never miked up a drum kit, although I would love to at some point. Getting another drum kit is low on my to do list though. A few years ago I was into the idea of getting an E Kit, but I've gone off that idea now - I think I'd just end up with drums that sound just like they do now but with a shittier performance.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I've found a kit. Now at first glance this may seem like a weird buy, but it matches the kit that we bought Frank when he was four. That kit was a V-series Jazz kit, in tiny bebop sizes. I know from experience that the small kit sounds ace, but this is in rock sizes and at a steal of a price. I've been looking for a 14" or 16" floor tom in that wrap for about ten years, now, so to find this kit is amazing.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/drums/mapex-v ... 1276073653
kit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nice, congrats!
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:37 amNice, congrats!
Thanks, Greg - I'm really happy. The basswood shells aren't the best ever, but I'm sure I'll be able to get a good sound out of them. I know the 18" kick from the small kit punches well above its weight, especially miked. The snare will no doubt be absolute pants, but I do have a choice of three great ones that belong to Frank. Just need a couple of cymbal stands and a snare stand, then a decent cymbal set.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice score Bubba!
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Well, I picked up my kit yesterday. The wrap is a little faded in places and the heads were cranked like fucking bongoes, but it's otherwise in ok nick. I scored a DW 3000 boom stand and a Heavy duty Gibraltar straight stand for £60 the other day and I'm negotiating for some Zildjian A custom hats right now. Hoping to secure those for £160. That leaves me to get a clutch, a beater, a crash cymbal and a snare drum stand.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Cool man. If you go for a plastic or wood beater, make sure you put a falam patch on the bass head. Those types of beaters will eat through a head in no time.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:15 am Cool man. If you go for a plastic or wood beater, make sure you put a falam patch on the bass head. Those types of beaters will eat through a head in no time.
Cheers, Greg. The beater I ended up getting has a three-way surface. I'm buying the A Customs tomorrow. :coolstorybro:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Bubba wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm
Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:15 am Cool man. If you go for a plastic or wood beater, make sure you put a falam patch on the bass head. Those types of beaters will eat through a head in no time.
Cheers, Greg. The beater I ended up getting has a three-way surface. I'm buying the A Customs tomorrow. :coolstorybro:
Ooh A customs! I don't think mine are the customs, just the A series. To my novice ears they sound really good.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:56 am
Bubba wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:58 pm

Ooh A customs! I don't think mine are the customs, just the A series. To my novice ears they sound really good.
I love most of the Zildjian pro cymbals, but A and A Customs are my favourites. I lke their bright, sophisticated sound. There's not a lot of difference in price.

This is my lad's recent studio cymbal setup. There's nearly £1000 worth of metal just in the hats and ride, but they're too dark and washy for my taste.

I believe the big crash is a "Dream", and the stack to the bottom right is a 15" Avedis paper thin crash, paired with an A Custom 13" Hi-hat top and capped with a "ting-ring". Kids today, eh? :biggrin:
LF cymbals.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's some nice tins. I'm a Paiste guy myself, I never got along with too many Zildjians, but they're all great. When you get up into "pro" cymbal ranges, they're all very good.

Zildjian used to make Z Customs, which were like manhole covers, I loved those things. I don't know if they quit making them or if they took a new name, but I never see them anymore. Heavy, dark, very loud. Great live cymbals. Terrible recording cymbals.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:09 am That's some nice tins. I'm a Paiste guy myself, I never got along with too many Zildjians, but they're all great. When you get up into "pro" cymbal ranges, they're all very good.

Zildjian used to make Z Customs, which were like manhole covers, I loved those things. I don't know if they quit making them or if they took a new name, but I never see them anymore. Heavy, dark, very loud. Great live cymbals. Terrible recording cymbals.
LOL, yes I remember those! They were meant to be fucking indestructible for heavy handed rock drummers to use live. They were insanely popular over here for a time, but they were far too unbalanced, loud and strident to record with! They would overwhelm most unmiked kits. I think Zildjian still do something similar but the name changed - I'm not sure what to. :biggrin:
Farview

Post by Farview »

Z customs were not indestructible. The fact that they were thick and rigid made them kind of brittle.

I burned through a set of them before I switched to Sabians. (I mixed and matched difference series)
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Farview wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:32 am Z customs were not indestructible. The fact that they were thick and rigid made them kind of brittle.

I burned through a set of them before I switched to Sabians. (I mixed and matched difference series)
Oh, really? I'm surprised at that.

My new hi-hats are great, by the way, and the kit cuts the mustard surprisingly well. I tuned it today and I'm pleasantly surprised at the quality of the sounds - definitely more than acceptable. The 13" is a bit of an odd duck. The 12 and 16 work really well together, the 13 falls weirdly between them. I reckon the 13 and 16 would work well together with a tribal beat. The kick is really good, the snare is pretty meh.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Nice kit Bubba, the more drummers around here the better! And your boy has good taste in cymbals! I love dark cymbals too!

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Hell's bells, liv, you like to set up a few things to hit, don't you?! :eek: :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My recording set up is kind of like that. I set up everything so it's there if I want it. It's excessive, but it's all there if needed. I only take about half of it out to gigs.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:31 am My recording set up is kind of like that. I set up everything so it's there if I want it. It's excessive, but it's all there if needed. I only take about half of it out to gigs.
Yeah I don’t use all those cymbals all the time but either. For shows I just bring two crashes, ride and hats. It’s kind of like my pedal board, I don’t turn them all on at once.