The Fake Drums Thread

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
miroslav

Re: The Fake Drums Thread

Post by miroslav »

Here's a nice YT clip of Andrew Scheps talking about drum recording and he also mentions sample use toward the end...I think his perspective is pretty spot-on.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvbrRyI2ccQ[/BBvideo]
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

miroslav wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:20 pm Here's a nice YT clip of Andrew Scheps talking about drum recording and he also mentions sample use toward the end...I think his perspective is pretty spot-on.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvbrRyI2ccQ[/BBvideo]
A good viewing experience.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Minerman I just want to thank you for making this thread. I am a newbie to drum programming and the OP in this thread will help me get started and know what to look for. I know it will take lots and lots of practice, but thanks for the tips.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

[mention]Minerman[/mention]

TL;DR Does Superior Drummer allow you to control how much of each piece of the kit is captured in the "overheads" tracks?

In EZD 2.0 some kits (not all, thats how they get you to buy more of thier stupid add ons) have an overhead bleed knob on the overhead track. this bleed knob is a global control over how much snare, hit hat, kick, toms etc, bleed into the overheads "mics" I think this is a pretty cool feature for a basic ass piece of drum software and i am sort of curious if maybe Superior Drummer has the same type of features but more control over how much of what goes into the OH track? I am having an issue with control over how loud my hihats are and where it sits in the stereo field. Would be super cool if i could get into EZD's internal routing to for that knob and kill a few switches like the kick and hihats.

I am just curious about how SD handles all that.

Actually you know something. As i am sitting here typing this out i sort of thought of a possible workaround to do what i want now. I could technically turn that OH bleed knob all the way to zero, and then maybe do a send of the other midi tracks to that and just turn the input of the send to the level i like.
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:04 pm @Minerman

Does Superior Drummer allow you to control how much of each piece of the kit is captured in the "overheads" tracks?

In EZD 2.0 some kits (not all, thats how they get you to buy more of thier stupid add ons) have an overhead bleed knob on the overhead track. this bleed knob is a global control over how much snare, hit hat, kick, toms etc, bleed into the overheads "mics" I think this is a pretty cool feature for a basic ass piece of drum software and i am sort of curious if maybe Superior Drummer has the same type of features but more control over how much of what goes into the OH track? I am having an issue with control over how loud my hihats are and where it sits in the stereo field. Would be super cool if i could get into EZD's internal routing to for that knob and kill a few switches like the kick and hihats.

I am just curious about how SD handles all that.

Actually you know something. As i am sitting here typing this out i sort of thought of a possible workaround to do what i want now. I could technically turn that OH bleed knob all the way to zero, and then maybe do a send of the other midi tracks to that and just turn the input of the send to the level i like.
Yes Shan, SD has level sliders/faders for each kit piece in the overhead & room tracks...There's no way to control where a certain piece sits in the stereo field of an overhead or room track (to my knowledge anyway), unless the individual tracks have an effect on that (IE: the hi-hat in the overhead "follows" the panning of it's individual track)...

Here the "OH Dyn" track is selected, & on the right you can see the levels for the bleed of other instruments, along with the levels for each cymbal for that track...
SD3 4 Shan.PNG
If you really wanted to get deep into it, you could add an extra cymbal, pan it's track where you want it, then send it to a bus tracks (lots of options here)...

BTW, if you can swing it, I highly recommend upgrading to SD3 dude...EZD is similar, but SD3 is way better, in my humble opinion anyway... :minernuggs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thanks [mention]Minerman[/mention] I knew i asked the right guy. I need another piece of software like i need a hole in the head but i am can't get just what i want from my overheads from EZD. Hopefully you guys will hear what i mean in the next little bit. I am getting close to pulling the pin on a jam. You can be the judge.

thanks dude. I'll watch the sales on SD3.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:24 am Thanks @Minerman I knew i asked the right guy. I need another piece of software like i need a hole in the head but i am can't get just what i want from my overheads from EZD. Hopefully you guys will hear what i mean in the next little bit. I am getting close to pulling the pin on a jam. You can be the judge.

thanks dude. I'll watch the sales on SD3.
You should already be able to get some kind of discount where you own EZD dude, just wait until they have a sale at Toontrack, then use the sale price along with the crossgrade...

Just to be honest, I think the actual samples aren't that much different between SD & EZD, they're probably the same truth be known, but the extra bells/whistles that SD has do make a difference IMO...

I'm dying to make the jump to real drums, & I've spent enough on samples/drum vsti's/etc to have a massive kit, all the mics I'd ever need & so on...The fact I can do so many tricks with the midi, plus do it all silently is a big, big reason I went all in with this stuff...

Feel free to holler at me anytime dude, I'm no expert by any means, but I've been using midi drums for over 10 years now, so I do have a little experience with 'em...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Minerman wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:08 am Feel free to holler at me anytime dude, I'm no expert by any means, but I've been using midi drums for over 10 years now, so I do have a little experience with 'em...
I knew i came to the right guy homey. I will keep an eye out for sales and all that stuff too. I am thinking i may try to do a cross grade thing sometime. All the samples and kits and components are intermixable between EZD and SD. I feel pretty confident i had read that once before. Thanks man.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 am All the samples and kits and components are intermixable between EZD and SD. I feel pretty confident i had read that once before. Thanks man.
I'm pretty sure, yes. Tho depending on which one the kit was compiled for, it may not have all the features. (e.g. EZD kits only have EZD capabilities even when loaded into SD)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK... I just started DLing Superior Drummer 3... Fuck-a-duck! Its enormous. I'm having to archive a fuck-tonne of stuff just to make room on my disk for DL.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:35 pm OK... I just started DLing Superior Drummer 3... Fuck-a-duck! Its enormous. I'm having to archive a fuck-tonne of stuff just to make room on my disk for DL.
Isn't it like 300GB when it unpacked or something like that?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My drums take up about 36 sq ft of space.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:49 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:35 pm OK... I just started DLing Superior Drummer 3... Fuck-a-duck! Its enormous. I'm having to archive a fuck-tonne of stuff just to make room on my disk for DL.
Yeah - Its gonna have to go on my HDD not my SSD.
I've had to do some good cleaning up and archiving this morning.

Fuck, I wish Minerman was still hear to help me get this sorted.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:33 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Yeah - Its gonna have to go on my HDD not my SSD.
I've had to do some good cleaning up and archiving this morning.

Fuck, I wish Minerman was still hear to help me get this sorted.
If you stand in front of a mirror and say 'DO THE DEW" ten times he will appear behind you and you can ask him whatever questions you need answered. :like:

I've already tried it and so far i've only had clouds of cigarette smoke manifest itself in my music room near my amps, but i am going to keep trying.

#havefaith
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

:lollers2: :lollers2:

Minerman did have a firm grasp on this crap. :frown:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

haha... I'll take my laptop to church this weekend.
Although given his love of 70s and 80s metal, and Ouija board might be more use.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:41 pm :lollers2: :lollers2:

Minerman did have a firm grasp on this crap. :frown:
Sure did. He was always eager to lend me a hand with anything fake drums related.

:minernuggs: <3
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've got SD3 installed and working. If you need a hand, just let me know. Yeah, that download is massive if you install all of the stuff. Really you probably only need that 1st set of samples. The "full bleed" and "11.1 surround" stuff is kind of gravy. That said, I downloaded it all :)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:03 pm I've got SD3 installed and working. If you need a hand, just let me know. Yeah, that download is massive if you install all of the stuff. Really you probably only need that 1st set of samples. The "full bleed" and "11.1 surround" stuff is kind of gravy. That said, I downloaded it all :)
Yeah. I'm gonna DL the lot!
And install it on my HDD. Obviously they're not dull and expect people won't have the immediate SSD capacity for all this. It's designed to not need to be on your SSD.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

[mention]Tadpui[/mention] I can't target my downloads to go anywhere other than the downloads directory on my C drive! And each item is gonna fill my C drive so I'll have to do it one at a time.

EDIT: Worked it out. Wasn't on the DL options. Was in the Tools menu of Toontrack!