Yamaha DTX400 Hi-Hat Foot Controller Mod

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I've got another thread about this in the drum section, but thought it might be better to have here...Feel free to move this if you see fit Shan...

I've been hammerin' away trying to learn to play my e-kit for a week or two now, a few hours a day, seriously trying to improve...The one big thing that's just un-inspiring about the cheap kit I have is the hi-hat controller...In it's stock form, it only triggers "open" or "closed" when I hit the hi-hat pad, depending on the position of my foot controller...I read about a mod in another forum, where the on/off switch (which is controlled by the foot controller's position) is replaced with a FSR (force sensitive resistor), allowing all the "in-between" articulations to be triggered (depending on the foot controller's position)...

I bought an older Yamaha DTXplorer module, because I didn't think my DTX400 sent the midi cc messages to the computer/daw...Hooked it up, & of course, it did the exact same thing my DTX400 did, either "open" or "closed"...

So, I figured I'd take the chance, & spend $15-20 on an FSR to see if it'd work for me...I ordered 2 of 'em, & the total cost was like $30...Pretty cheap, & seemed pretty easy to do...There's only 2 connections, & I don't think it even matters how they're connected...

So, after a few days of waiting for my FSR (force sensitive resistor) to arrive, I threw it in my hi-hat foot controller, and.....it works!!!!!!

I honestly didn't know if this would work or not, so I really had my doubts about it...Not only does it work with the older DTXplorer module, it works with the DTX400 too, so I'm pretty damn happy about it!!! In the end, I didn't have to buy the extra module to get the hi-hat working like it should, but it gives me quite a bit of room (8 more pad inputs) to expand my kit with other pads/cymbals...

I could've bought another foot controller that added one more articulation for about $75 new (which is a rip-off IMO, the only thing different between this & the one I have now, is the on/off switch), or paid about $400 for the top of the line Yamaha hi-hat controller (which is an even bigger rip off IMO, you still have to buy a hi-hat stand after spending $400 for a couple drum pads)....Fuck both of those, long, hard & furiously...I'm able to trigger all the hi-hat articulations in my drum vsti's now for about $15....

This little 2-connection mod I did is waaay cheaper, hell the $400 controller cost almost as much as the whole kit I have now...IMHO, Yamaha should sell these controllers with the FSR already in it...I honestly don't think that'll ever happen, but I really don't give a fuck if it does or not, because this little mod works...And if the FSR ever dies, it's only $15 to replace...

I even made a little video explaining how to do the mod (I couldn't find how to embed the video, not sure if it's possible or not)...Toward the end you can see the hi-hat positions change in the daw when I move the foot controller:

I know a lot of you guys don't get what I'm ranting about, but this is a big deal for me...I'll basically be able to use a lower-end (cheaper) drum module to do what I thought only the high-end (expensive) modules do now since I'm not using the on-board sounds, & just using the e-kit to trigger samples in the daw...It's been a pretty good day out here in the sticks for a change guys!!!
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Armistice

Re: Yamaha DTX400 Hi-Hat Foot Controller Mod

Post by Armistice »

Score!

I hammered away on my ex-band mates e-kit for a while and even though his had hi hat variations, they were truly sucky.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Armistice wrote:Score!

I hammered away on my ex-band mates e-kit for a while and even though his had hi hat variations, they were truly sucky.
Yes sir dude!!! I almost bought a brand new module thinking it would solve things for me, but it wouldn't have...Saved myself about $300 just for the new module, & me being the cheap fucker that I am, is always a good thing to save $$$... :lol:

I'm assuming you were using the drum module's internal sounds, I'll only be using the kit to trigger sounds in Superior, AD2, etc...I'm not even sure my modules have the "in-between" articulation sounds or not, to be honest, the internal sounds on both my modules suck pretty hard compared to the software I have...

Even with the software, it's not gonna compare to using a real hi-hat, but it's a lot better with the mod than without...It'll probably take me a little while to get the pedal dialed in, & I may even have to add another or heavier spring...We'll see.... :mrgreen:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Brilliant stuff, miner - you're the man! :shock:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Bubba wrote:Brilliant stuff, miner - you're the man! :shock:
Thanks Bubba, but I can't take credit for the idea, the guys at the VDrum forum came up with this....I can't believe how easy it was to do...These e-drum companies should make their products with stuff like this already in 'em...I doubt that'll ever happen, but it doesn't matter to me now, I know how to remedy this little problem...

Thanks again dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Haha that's pretty awesome. Congrats miner. :)
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Thanks Greg...I still can't believe these foot controllers don't come like this from the factory...I mean, how much would it cost Yamaha, Roland or whoever to put a different part in their product, when it would make it a better product, & in turn make more profit for them because it's a better product that would have more sales??? I'm sure the FSR would cost a little more than the cheap-ass on/off switch, but a big company like that could buy 'em for peanuts & still turn profit with a better product...

Again, doesn't matter to me now, as this works with both modules I have, & now I can move on to something else I've been wanting to do to my e-kit, which is expand it with a few more pads/cymbals...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH