Nut Slotting Assistance.

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Nut Slotting Assistance.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:54 pmJust Quoting Mutt to get his attention.
Mutt,

I bought a Nashville tune-o-matic from my Epihpone years ago and did nothing with it, now that i have it in my head i am going to mod the hell out of this Epi, i want to finally make use of it. One small set back is that the saddles aren't slotted for the strings.

I am wondering what the right tool for the job is? I do have a set of various, what i would call smaller precision needle type files at home (i can provide a picture later on) that "appear" like they could do the trick. But i am not wondering if there is something more specific that i'd need to do it right? Also what kind of mathematics do i employ when i do file these babies down? is it s simple matter of just figuring out the middle of the saddle with a good solid caliper measurement? Or is there more to it?

:sherlock:

:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Re: Nut Slotting Assistance.

Post by Lt. Bob »

there are specific nut files ..... I have a set. I think you need something narrower than a needle file ..... I'm not sure what it's called ... mutt'll know
Roman

Post by Roman »

You mentioned Nashville bridge. That usually refers to Gibson American spacing. First off make sure the bridge fits. The Epi is metric spacing.

As to slotting the saddles, that isn't 100% needed. Some do, some don't.

Put the bridge on, string it up, and just get the strings over the pickup pole pieces. Adjust height to taste and intonate. Done. Go play the damn thing.
:D
muttley

Post by muttley »

You can use any number of things. Nut files are best but expensive. If you do get a set then the sellon is usually pretty good on ebay.

For just one guitar you can get away with rat tail files like you have for the wound strings and a feeler gauge with wet and dry round it for the unwound narrower strings. You can also use that trick to polish the slots once they are cut. When you have it strung up you can mark where the strings run naturally and thats where you cut them. You dont need to take the strings off to cut the slot just loosen them off one by one. A proper nut slot should be around half the thickness of the string deep and very slightly wider. Don't go to deep it's only purpose is to stop the string moving sideways. In a pinch you can use a guitar string one gauge up to polish a slot out with some cutting compound in there... I have strings glued down to wooden blocks to do that.. Take your time you only get one go at a slot..
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Roman wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:14 am You mentioned Nashville bridge. That usually refers to Gibson American spacing. First off make sure the bridge fits.
I am 99% sure i did check this out when i brought it home so i didn't have ot return and i didn't return it, so following my own ill math, that leads me to believe that it fit ... :facepalm2: I should double check though now that i'm a little older and a little less assuming.
muttley wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 am You can use any number of things. Nut files are best but expensive. If you do get a set then the sellon is usually pretty good on ebay.

For just one guitar you can get away with rat tail files like you have for the wound strings and a feeler gauge with wet and dry round it for the unwound narrower strings. You can also use that trick to polish the slots once they are cut. When you have it strung up you can mark where the strings run naturally and thats where you cut them. You dont need to take the strings off to cut the slot just loosen them off one by one. A proper nut slot should be around half the thickness of the string deep and very slightly wider. Don't go to deep it's only purpose is to stop the string moving sideways. In a pinch you can use a guitar string one gauge up to polish a slot out with some cutting compound in there... I have strings glued down to wooden blocks to do that.. Take your time you only get one go at a slot..
That makes tons of sense. Ok i'll check out my files when i get home tonight and send you pics of what i got and failing that i'll start a little hunt of my own, i got other shit to order online here soon so i'll just make it an early Christmas.

Thanks Guys :happytrees: :happytrees: :like:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:42 am You can use any number of things.
What about this number of things?

they boast they can do brass? One might assume they can handle the saddles hey? :confused: :sherlock: :sherlock:
muttley

Post by muttley »

They can but the only real use you have for them would be the E and A strings if you are slotting a nut. On a saddle if you just want a notch cut they are fine if you go back and finish off with a bit of wet and dry like I suggested.. I have boxes of them and they are actually better when they are worn in a bit as they dont cut so fast and also give a finer cut. If you find an old piece of cast alloy some where you can test them out and see how they perform. I have never bought two sets the same as they are mass produced. I have a couple of sets of expensive rat tail/needle files that I save for fine work... but they are just as expensive as nut files.
muttley

Post by muttley »

BTW one of those should be a knife edge at about 15 degrees. Thats the one you want. Then lightly open the top of the slot with the triangle one. polish off as described with an old string or feeler gauge and wet and dry..