Piecing together a drum kit (with some DIY on the shells)

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
SweetDan

Piecing together a drum kit (with some DIY on the shells)

Post by SweetDan »

As I mentioned in the "show us your kits" thread, I'm piecing together a "bop"-size drum kit. The count so far: bass and snare drums (and a trashy set of hats). The main driving factors for me are: 1) don't spend too much* acquiring the drums, 2) make them look halfway decent, like they belong together, 3) make them playable - I actually practice the darn things, and 4) have some fun puttering around at the workbench.

In the other thread I mentioned I'd taken some photos of my build process (such as it is). I finally got around to collecting/organizing them and writing about the DIY work.

http://eastofcleveland.com/music/diy_ma ... index.html

If it interests you, follow that link up there ^^^^^ to go to my site where I posted the goods.

* Totally loaded phrase, the idea of not spending "too much"; I go cheap on the shells, but then blow lots on replacement hardware and finishes
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Greg_L

Re: Piecing together a drum kit (with some DIY on the shells)

Post by Greg_L »

That's awesome! Nice work.
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Thanks.

"Bop" size? What I've read is that on the range from large to small, a bop kit would have smaller drum sizes overall. 18- or 20-inch diameter kick. 10- through 14-inch diameter toms. A shallower (and possibly smaller diameter) share. Nothing really larger than that. (My kick is 18" and the snare 13"; no toms yet.) I've read these sizes are common in jazz, but one of my main concerns is minimizing the space the thing takes up while still remaining a playable kit, not a toy.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I used to play a standing-up Bop kit, like Slim Jim Phantom. It was fun. Actually it wasn't technically a Bop kit at all. My kick and snare were full size. Main thing is I didn't use any hats or toms. Sometimes a floor tom, but not always. Kick, Snare, Ride, and one crash. The footprint was very small.
Rebel Yell